usnmars

How I pick a good rifle when milsurping at fun shows or shop

When I go milsurping or to a gun show, I usually bring a few basic tools. First is a bore light, you want to be able to see what you are getting yourself into-literally. Second is a dummy round. This is just a round that I pull the bullet, pour out the powder, and smack the primer. I usually drill a few holes in the brass to make it evident that it is a dummy and usually pull the primer. Put the bullet back into the brass to its normal spot. And last that I bring is a headspace gauge. Here is a pick of a dummy round that has been made. DSC00007.jpg

First thing I check is the bore condition. I usually check for a counter bore, and make sure the rifling goes all the way to the crown. Counter boring was done to correct a worn muzzle due to incorrect cleaning. Then I do the bullet test-take the dummy round and insert it bullet first into the face of the barrel. If the bullet goes into the bore all the way up to the crimp, it is either counter bored or shot out. If it goes in and gives you 1/8th to 1/4" you have a tight good bore. Then check the condition of the bore, if the lands and grooves are sharp and defined. If they are shallow and weak run a bore snake through it. A lot of times a bore full of cosmo and dust from storage will look shallow and weak. If a seller wont let you run a bore snake--run fast. I have actually encountered a seller at a gun show that got busted for filling pits in the bore with graphite. The bore looked good when bought, but when the buyer cleaned his purdy new rifle the graphite came out and the rifling looked like the surface of the moon. If the bore looks good and passes the bullet test, the barrel should be good. Here are examples of the bullet test. The first pic is a Mosin with a good muzzle, the second is the same round in a 8mm Mauser as an example. You want to see a gap between the crown and the crimp.

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Then check the crown. You are looking for the crown to be smooth and not dinged up or beat up. You are also looking for the rifling to go all the way to the crown. Here is a pic of a good crown. Notice the bore almost looks square, this is because the lands go all the way up to the crown.

DSC00013.jpg

Second that I check is the condition of the bolt, look at the face and see if the firing pin hole is wallowed out or larger than it should be, and check that the face is fairly smooth and uniform. Then look at the locking lugs, where the bolt locks into the chamber. If the lugs look stressed, worn, or just something doesn't seem right, trust your gut and leave it. If the lugs are bad, you have issues with the bolt and possibly the rifle. Here is a pic of a good bolt face on a Mosin. The face is smooth, and the firing pin hole is centered, and round. IMG_0533.jpg

Then use the bore light and look into the chamber. You are looking for burrs, cracks or anything else that looks suspicious. It should look smooth and well machined. Again this comes down to trust your gut, if it doesn't look right-pass on it.

And my final test that I use when checking a rifle if it passes all of my other tests is to headspace it. I use the coin type gauges with a notch for the extractors so you don’t need to take the bolt apart. All you need is a no go gauge for the caliber you are looking at. Again if a seller wont let you check with a coin gauge walk away. I can see them not letting you use a normal gauge, because you need to take the bolt apart, but they should always let you use a coin gauge.

This sounds like a lot to do in a store, but really it only takes maybe 3 min to fully check out a prospect purchase. I am only an obsessive collector, not a true gunsmith. These are just the checks that I personally do when I am shopping. I have learned the hard way and have been burned when buying. This is now why I fully inspect a rifle before putting the greenbacks on the counter. So for safety reasons I suggest that you get your purchase inspected by a gunsmith just to be safe.

How about I just hire you for the day when I (eventually) go out and buy an M1? :lol:

The bullet test is not the correct way to check for ME (muzzle erosion) for an M1 Garand rifle. There are commercially available guages to check TE (Throat Erosion) and MW.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=3520

However, I have some M1 Garands with barrels that swallow the muzzle guage and shoot better than other barrels that gauge new. Go figure.

When I go to the gun shows I bring a set of headspacing guages (go and no-go {I need to get a field gauge}), TE / ME guages, and a good bore light.

I have never bought a complete M1 Garand at a gun show. This is due to the major markup dealers put on standard Service Grade M1 Garands at the gun shows. Dealers are marking up the prices 2, 3 or 4 hundred dollars more than if you just bought them from the CMP directly. If this is a convenience fee, forget it. If you never had an M1 Garand before the best way to get one is from the CMP. Fill out the application, submit the required documents, and wait. More likely than not you will get an awesome piece of US history.

Sorry for the threat hijack :keeporder:

I have however, found some really great parts, or that hard to find part at a great price.

Garands are my true obsession and are a completely different critter to check out than a bolt gun. If you are going to get a M1 the CMP is the only way to go. The armorers at the north store laugh when they see me because I am there so much. And if you ask nicely with a bribe of donuts and coffee they will reset your 12 rifle limit for the year :laugh: