nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

I'm starting this thread hoping to gather enough data about the FID/permit application process across NJ to compile a reference for new gun owners. If you already have your FID, please consider making a post in the following format:

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).

2. Police Department where you applied.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

I'll start:

1. FID application, Permits w/FID

2. Marlboro Township PD

3. Current contact: Patrolman Moody (the sergeant who originally processed my application no longer works in firearms)

4. Time taken to issue the FID: 2 weeks. Time for subsequent permits: 2-3 days.

5. Additional documents required by the PD: a small waiver form, which contents I do not recall

6. Notes: I hired an attorney to assist me with the FID application. They bombarded the PD with calls, which explains why they issued the FID so quickly. Officer Moody can seem grumpy at times, but is usually pleasant to deal with. As of January 2010, the PD would accept permits for no more than 1 handgun.

1. Application type: FID + 2 Pistol

2. Police Department: Clark PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Detective (no name)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: Applied mid Nov 2008, didn't get permits till end of Jan 2009

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Letters sent to employer and two people who knew me asking about my background.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): None to report.

1. Application type - FID with 2 PPs

2. Police Department where you applied. Freehold Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. About 3 Weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). 13 years ago.

1. Application type - FID with 3 PPs

2. Police Department where you applied. Bloomfield

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. 2 clerks and a detective for printing - dont remember names

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. aprox. 13 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). No real issues aside from waiting. Apps submitted mid Nov' 08. Referrals sent to PD promptly same week as application. Called about 3 times to check on progress and was told each time that they were waiting on the State Police. Detective eventually called my 2 refs about a week before I got the letter saying my FID/PPs were ready. Process completed mid Feb. 09. Have not gotten any more PPs since then, so am not familiar with current PP application process.

Initial FID application (Dec 2008 - Mar 2009):

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID w/1 pistol permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Brick Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Dealt with a few different folks. All decent. No hassles.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 14 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None. They included a nice checklist and summary, though.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). None.

More Pistol Permits (Nov 2009 - Jan 2010):

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 Pistol Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Brick Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Dealt with a few different folks. All decent. No hassles.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 8 weeks.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). I was unemployed when applying. I called and spoke to a detective who said it was fine to list that on the application. Turns out he was right, as the permits came through smoothly.

1. Application type - FID/Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Stillwater Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Patrolman Jimmy Laundous

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Six weeks

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). None

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). - FID +1 pistol permit

2. Police Department where you applied. - Lakewood

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - Records Office

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - 1 month

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Electronic fingerprinting from Sagem Morpho

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). pistol permit extension has taken over 3 weeks.

Somewhat related I was back at the old workplace and talking with those who process the applications for any firearm's related issues. The new 5 fingerprint process is seeing turnaround times of 24 hours or less.

I did get to bust the balls of one applicant who was picking up his FID card. He wanted it laminated so I did the work. I told him it was a twenty five dollar charge. The look on his face was priceless. He didn't realize it but I knew him for years as I was friends with his father.

What will now take time is the return and investigation of the references and just putting the paperwork together and sending it in. As manpower has decreased, the workload is the same or more and applications aren't at the top of the priority list.

Re: NJ FID application data collection effort

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). - FID address change +3 Pistol Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. - Ramsey

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - Patrolman forgethisname

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - 3 months and a few days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

None

1. Application type - Duplicatge FID (lost my card)

2. Police Department where you applied. New Milford

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Dedective (forgot)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Approx 9 weeks

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Had to wait for a certain detective to submit my application and it took two weeks to catch up with him as he was out sick. Not sure why they don't have several officers trained.

1. Application type: FID with 2 permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Hackensack PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Sergeant Levis, Chief Zisa

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 14 weeks for FID. Permits about 5 weeks.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard goodies

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). SO far, with each set of permits applied for. One of my references would never receive the letter. Then I would get another sent out and the Sergeant wouldn't get it. Have to hand in the third letter each time. PD now says I can only apply for one permit per month which is incorrect. Really have no way of fighting it, so whatever..

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID plus 1 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. NJ State Police, Hope Barracks

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.Couple of different troopers. Whoever was working the front counter.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Applied the middle of October. FID and PP ready January 12.So about 90 days.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Had to pay $60 dollars to be finger printed by Sargon.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).Besides the long wait no issues. They did call both of my references. The troopers were very helpful and very courtious. My town does not have a local PD. That's why I had to go to the State Police.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID plus 2 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Lyndhurst

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Dont remember

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 5 weeks for fid and 2 pp

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). prints local pd

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). no issues.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID & 1 permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Belleville PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Donna (clerk) John (officer at desk)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 6 weeks for both

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). just the standard stuff

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Chief was out sick

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): FID & 2 permits

2. Police Department where you applied: Berkeley Twp. PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Marcy (clerk) & Det. Smith

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 5 mths

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): No extra Doc's

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): : Clerk stated they were overwhelmed with applications.

I applied in Glen Ridge on 3/3/10 for a FID and 2 permits. The receptionist was very cooperative and helpful. Both of my references have already sent back the forms. When I dropped off my application forms I had already been fingerprinted at the place that charged about $60. Anyone here from Glen Ridge that can give me an idea of a possible time frame? I'll update this thread when it comes in.

1. Application type: FID+2 P.P

2. Police Department where you applied: Cherry Hill

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD:Detective DiChurchio

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: FID<3mons-P.P 5weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)-None

Its been 3.5 weeks since I dropped off all the paperwork. My detective called at least one of my references this evening. Any chance I'm on the homestretch? Yeas I should be so lucky.

On another topic I was speaking with a friend of mine who is a nurse and she said that the mental health checks are done within 48 hours. All people who have been committed to an institution at any point, with a mental illness that could lead that person to be a danger to society are tracked in a national database.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). First time FID + 2 Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Chatham Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. I believe the detective that handles the process is a Det. Papa

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Applied sometime in Sept '09 & I recall a turnaround time of 52 days. A friend applying for a duplicate FID & 3 permits had a turnaround time of 31 days during the same time period

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).The only requested forms were consistant with what I understand to be the standard applications

No real complaints. Police officer that took my apps & fingerprinted me was polite & friendly. Called once at the 30 day mark and spoke with a very polite dispatcher that assured me their department does not deliberately obstruct or delay permit requests and the delay was due only to the volume of requests and not deliberate disinterest in getting it done. Later received a call from the detective advising permits were done. Police officer I dealt with at pickup was polite as well, but did initially advised me incorrectly on a few details of the handgun permits. When I asked for clarification because it didn't sound right, he paused a moment to reread something in a binder and then corrected himself. Overall, I'd say someone Chatham Twp's processing of the permits was relatively tolerable given what others sometimes go through.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Change of Address on FID + 3 Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Middletown Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Ladies in the records department

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 7.5 weeks (see notes)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).standard applications

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).Middletown Township was very polite and professional, "on the money" with regard to procedures and required forms, etc. The "hold up" was explained to me as Old Bridge Township (My previous address) not sending copies of my folder and a duplicate request had to be made.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): Name change (wife's FID with maiden name was only a month old)

2. Police Department where you applied: Berkeley Twp.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Marcy (clerk)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 3 mths

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): No extra Doc's

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): : Clerk stated they were overwhelmed with applications

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID AND 2 PERMIT

2. Police Department where you applied. Milltown NJ

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Sargent Shuck?

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. STILL OUT 2 WEEKS TO GET THAT THE PRINTS AND THAT WAS 4/10/10

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). I REF GOT A LETTER 2 ref got it 2 weeks later SO FAR

I GO IT 5/10/10 LIKE 30DAYS ON THE DOT

Spoke to my detective in Glen Ridge today. He said that he was waiting for the mental report which just came in today and that everything is looking good and that I will get a call early next week to pick up my FID and permits. If all goes well that will make it 7 weeks total. I'll post the stats when I get it in hand.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).new FPID and 2 handgun permits <edit>Applied for 2 new permits in April 2012.

2. Police Department where you applied. Morris Plains

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Det. Dobbins <edit> Dt. Dobbins has since retired. It is now Det. Kohn and Det. Rapp.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 30 days

5. Documents required by the PD None <edit> Usual two plus a third form - state form consenting to criminal records check for non-criminal purposes.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process. Officers other than the detective asssigned to process applications were unaware of the newest fingerprint proceedures. Had I listened to them I would have been mislead and the process would have been longer. Very friendly though. The Detective doing the processing was straight forward, no nonsense but aloof until after the approval came through. Don't be put off. <edit> The new detectives in charge will return your phone calls in a day or two and send off paperwork on the same day. My references got their forms the day after I dropped off the application in the morning.

<edit> The new detectives in charge of this are fast, thorough and know exactly what they are talking about. You are a lucky person if you are looking to get a permit in this town.

Edited by bulpup

Forgot to do this sooner:

1. Application type: FID w/ 1 PP

2. Police Department where you applied: Plainsboro PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: One clerk, one officer (for printing), and dispatch (clerk left the paperwork with dispatch since it was after office hours; dispatch witnessed and had the ink pad ready). Unfortunately I don't remember the names either, though there is a specific Detective who handles firearms printing at my local PD.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: Approx. 15 weeks (most recent PP's [Oct '09-Mar '10] took approx. 22 weeks)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): None. Just a checklist and set of directions.

6. Notes: The PD did call me after I submitted my paperwork for any followup questions, to include any questions I might have had regarding local and state laws. As noted, the most recent permits took forever, though that is mostly because NJSP lost/never returned my mental health release form to my PD (as soon as I filled out a new one, I received my permits within a week or so).