camoman1945

Rimfire pistol vs Center Fire Pistol

Lately I am looking for a 22 pistol but in a lot of site, I always read about how cleaning the 22 lr pistol is a hard and put back together or the ammo was poor quality and did not fire etc. Does this happen with non-rimfire pistol? In other word do center fire pistols have better quality?

Lately I am looking for a 22 pistol but in a lot of site, I always read about how cleaning the 22 lr pistol is a hard and put back together or the ammo was poor quality and did not fire etc. Does this happen with non-rimfire pistol? In other word do center fire pistols have better quality?

A non rimfire .22 is not really what we all think of as a .22. Sure, it is..but for example a .22-250. That round is .22 caliber. If that round hits a mammal the result is frankly, not pleasant. A .22 long rifle can actually hit a person in the head and not penetrate the skull...preferring rather to travel around the skull under the skin.

If you pull the trigger on 100,000 centerfire rounds of any caliber, you can expect, for the most part anyway, that you will have 100,000 rounds go bang.

If however, you pull the trigger on 100 remington golden bullets .22 rimfire, you can expect that 5 of them might just do nothing.

all guns get dirty, the 22 pistol that they may be referring to is the Ruger

MK II/MKIII, which are a pita to disassemble/clean

Only for the uninformed. Once you actually know what your doing, I can disassemble and reassemble a Mark III faster than someone can do a 1911!!

all guns get dirty, the 22 pistol that they may be referring to is the Ruger

MK II/MKIII, which are a pita to disassemble/clean

Only for the uninformed. Once you actually know what your doing, I can disassemble and reassemble a Mark III faster than someone can do a 1911!!

+1 :clap: All it takes is a little practice, and any gun is a piece of cake to dis/reassemble.

You can go with a Sig custom 22 and it's pretty easy to disassemble.

although in my experience, slightly less reliable than a buckmark or ruger

+1, my friend has the Sig 22 pistol. He had to send it back because the slide wasn't always going into battery. Runs okay since he got it back, but not as good as my Colt 22 revolver!!!

When folks talk about .22lr being inherently "Dirty", i tend to disagree. While certain brands of ammo and the powders they employ maybe be dirtier than others, the main contributor of how dirty a gun gets after firing is how much powder the ammo itself burns when firing. Small ammo such as the .22 doesn't emply much powder per shot, but since its cheap we tend to shoot a *lot* of it which therefore contributes to a lot of carbon buildup. I'll shoot 500 rds of .22 in a session at the plinking range just to make it a worthwhile trip, whereas i'll shoot only a box or two of centerfire 9mm, or 45 for the cost of it. A good comparison is that ff i only shot 50 rds of 22, my gun would look relatively clean. The same amount of rounds in .45 makes the thing all sorts of filthy due to the amount of powder in those cartridges in comparison to the minuscule .22. If i blow 500 rds through the stainless .45 without a cleaning, it starts to look more like a parked GI model. :)

When folks talk about .22lr being inherently "Dirty", i tend to disagree. While certain brands of ammo and the powders they employ maybe be dirtier than others, the main contributor of how dirty a gun gets after firing is how much powder the ammo itself burns when firing. Small ammo such as the .22 doesn't emply much powder per shot, but since its cheap we tend to shoot a *lot* of it which therefore contributes to a lot of carbon buildup. I'll shoot 500 rds of .22 in a session at the plinking range just to make it a worthwhile trip, whereas i'll shoot only a box or two of centerfire 9mm, or 45 for the cost of it. A good comparison is that ff i only shot 50 rds of 22, my gun would look relatively clean. The same amount of rounds in .45 makes the thing all sorts of filthy due to the amount of powder in those cartridges in comparison to the minuscule .22. If i blow 500 rds through the stainless .45 without a cleaning, it starts to look more like a parked GI model. :)

:think: Very interesting point. Cleaning .22s is the biggest pain in the a**.

camoman1945:

No pistol collection is complete without a .22 pistol. They are total fun to shoot and the ammo is cheap, or relatively cheap. As previously mentioned, you can go out and shoot hundreds of rounds. But it will only cost around $20. Cleaning depends on the pistol. The Smith & Wesson 22A is simple. The Rugers are easy once you find proper instructions. The quality of ammo varies. If you buy cheap Remington Thunderbolts, you will have many jams and duds. If buy good ammo, CCI Minimags, you will have few problems. The good thing about .22 pistols is you shoot them until they are so dirty they don't work. In conclusion, buy one, buy lots. You will find your .22 pistols to be your favorites.