BigBlueQ

Doing recon for the wife...

So I have a 92FS Vertec and a PX4 F, both in 9mm, with the safety/decock.

My wife has slightly smaller hands than I do, and since I have 2 permits ready to expire, I figured that I'd try to find something in 9mm that would be comfortable for her to use. I'm okay with the medium/bigger framed pistols right now, BUT she is adamant about having the safety/decock, in a smaller pistol size. In 9mm.

Any recommendations?

SigSauer P229

Trust me, I'd be pleased as pie to have a Sig in the arsenal, but with two VERY curious little girls, 5 and 3, who will only get curiouser as they get older, my wife definitely wants the added security of the safety/decock.

When they get older I will be teaching them the rules of gun safety, and will get them to the range themselves, but for now (I keep the firearms in a gunsafe) we'd like to leave NOTHING to chance.

...my wife definitely wants the added security of the safety/decock.

While I wouldn't have recommended the P229 (double stack - probably just as much girth as your Berrettas), I definitely would recommend a 9mm P239 (single stack).

Not sure what an extra lever on the gun would do to necessarily keep your kids safer. With the first D/A pull of the Sig being in the neighborhood of 11#, not to mention the backstrap to trigger span, I think it's doubtful that they'd be anymore safe with a mechanical safety - which they probably could manipulate anyway. Sig has four integral safeties on their P-series classics - the only gun allowed in the SOCOM trials without an external safety.

Good luck in your quest, but I think that you are missing out on an excellent choice for a reason that has little validity. The best safety is the one between your ears, and you've already stated that you have the good sense to keep them under lock & key.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

While I wouldn't have recommended the P229 (double stack - probably just as much girth as your Berrettas), I definitely would recommend a 9mm P239 (single stack).

Not sure what an extra lever on the gun would do to necessarily keep your kids safer. With the first D/A pull of the Sig being in the neighborhood of 11#, not to mention the backstrap to trigger span, I think it's doubtful that they'd be anymore safe with a mechanical safety - which they probably could manipulate anyway. Sig has four integral safeties on their P-series classics - the only gun allowed in the SOCOM trials without an external safety.

Good luck in your quest, but I think that you are missing out on an excellent choice for a reason that has little validity. The best safety is the one between your ears, and you've already stated that you have the good sense to keep them under lock & key.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm with Pizza Bob on the Sig P239 in 9mm. Single stack grip.

Both sig226 and 229 have the E2 varient with a smaller grip frame and decocker.

My wife couldn't hold the Std 229 comfortably, but the E2 fit perfectly.

I also think the Beretta nine-two has a smaller grip version available with the safety/decocker.

How about a Beretta 6906? I have one and it's pretty small, has the ambi safety/decock

93469167.jpg

i see a smith & wesson there. not a beretta

and I nice one to boot! Bring that badboy this Tuesday.

How about a Beretta 6906? I have one and it's pretty small, has the ambi safety/decock

93469167.jpg

i see a smith & wesson there. not a beretta

Haha, nice catch.. i've got Beretta on the brain, but yeah, it's S&W... That pic is not my gun, however, mine looks identical with the grip and all..

The P239's do have a decocking lever. The current ones (2nd gen.) are DA/SA and require a very deliberate pull for the DA shot.

Otherwise, how about a M&P with a thumb safety? Not my favorite (the thumb safety, not the M&P) but should fit the bill, and the interchangable backstraps are nice for those with smaller hands.

Thanks everyone, these are all great suggestions!

Now we've got a lot of thinking (and trying out!) to do.

I am intrigued by the Sig 239, and the S+W 6906, now if I could track some down for the right price on GB...

Thanks everyone, these are all great suggestions!

Now we've got a lot of thinking (and trying out!) to do.

I am intrigued by the Sig 239, and the S+W 6906, now if I could track some down for the right price on GB...

Don't know where you guys are from, but your more than welcome to shoot my 6906 @ Shore Shot or Brick Armory..

Adios,

Pizza Bob

X2

about the ONLY safety you should BANK on when it comes to separating children and firearms is a SAFE imo.. does not have to be something elaborate but something solid enough to keep them out.. these are KIDS.. they are WORTH the extra bucks you will pay for PROPER firearms storage..

Good luck in your quest, but I think that you are missing out on an excellent choice for a reason that has little validity. The best safety is the one between your ears, and you've already stated that you have the good sense to keep them under lock & key

x3 target has a nice one for about 32.00 bucks and its digital for quick access...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

X2

about the ONLY safety you should BANK on when it comes to separating children and firearms is a SAFE imo.. does not have to be something elaborate but something solid enough to keep them out.. these are KIDS.. they are WORTH the extra bucks you will pay for PROPER firearms storage..

Thanks guys, I'll have the "talk" with the wife tonight! :D

As for my location, I'm in northern Bergen County, but I will be back and forth to Lavalette for a month this summer starting halfway through July. I'd love to meet up with you at ShoreShot or Brick Armory while I'm down there.

Am I the only one recommending a revolver? Where's the senior crowd backing me up.

They've been silenced by your Charter Arms debacle.

Yeah, but a Smith, Ruger, or Colt would do the job. Even a Taurus too!