jgofnj

Shooting a squirrel on your property

I consider hitting a squirrel with a paintball excessive and borderline cruel. That paintball can give the little guy internal bleeding! I would have no qualms against shooting a squirrel with a high density plastic bb fired from a spring-powered airsoft gun, though. Would prevent it from coming back, wouldn't injure it and it's probably kinda fun :twisted:

Lets See...which has more potential for doing damage, a large Diameter, frangible. Fluid-filled object designed to break on impact Moving at around 280-300 FPS, or a Small diameter, SOLID projectime moving at 350-400 FPS. :roll:

I consider hitting a squirrel with a paintball excessive and borderline cruel. That paintball can give the little guy internal bleeding! I would have no qualms against shooting a squirrel with a high density plastic bb fired from a spring-powered airsoft gun, though. Would prevent it from coming back, wouldn't injure it and it's probably kinda fun :twisted:

Lets See...which has more potential for doing damage, a large Diameter, frangible. Fluid-filled object designed to break on impact Moving at around 280-300 FPS, or a Small diameter, SOLID projectime moving at 350-400 FPS. :roll:

The most humane thing to do is hit it with a .223 moving at 3200 fps. If you use DRT ammo you won't even have a carcass to remove. :D

Check out the wound channel. http://www.drtammo.com/images/content/Soap-block-1.jpg

Is that a trick question? We're talking about a squirrel here. The paintball will do more damage. Same speed, more mass = more force. Paintballs can welt human flesh even when they break, and they don't always break. It could easily break the bones of a rodent. The airsoft pellet won't do anything but give it a scare.

Basically what I'm trying to say: If you want to kill a squirrel, kill it. I have nothing against that; it's a pest. But it's still a living creature. Don't drag out its death by hitting it with something stupid like a paintball.

Hav-a-Heart + water barrel(Pool, pond, stream, etc)

Shooting is out.

I did the hav-a-heart and garbage can filled with water once only because it was a skunk. Since then, my buddy showed me how to cover the trap holding a tarp up to conceal myself as I approached. We were able to cover the trap and take him for a ride in a pickup. He now lives by the power lines some distance away. The ground hogs also go for rides, across a river and past a 4 lane so they won't come back. About 15 years ago I was told by someone at the state level that you can live trap and release only on your own property, mainly so you don't relocate a rabid animal. They may have lifted this sanction, at the time a few rabid raccoons supposedly from PA made it across the Delaware River to the Garden State.

To the folks that advocate trapping and relocate squirrels; 

WE DONT WANT YOUR SQUIRRELS!

You just give other people your problem and trained the squirrels to avoid 'have a heart' traps so now we can't get rid of them.  If you don't have the nerve, get an exterminator.  Relocating is selfish and inconsiderate.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2010 at 0:51 PM, 67gtonut said:

Regardless of the law ..... which is most likely No-Discharge

I would not use a firearm on such a small property...... way to many things to go wrong.

..... I wont even get into why you need to shoot a squirrel :facepalm:

+1 on your entire post. The fact that is being asked is cause for concern. 

On 7/29/2010 at 0:10 PM, jgofnj said:

Can I shoot a squirrel in my backyard with my handgun? The yard is fenced but the property is less than an acre and I have neighbors on both sides and behind me. Would it make a difference if it was a rifle?

SERIOUSLY?

• Like 1

On 8/8/2010 at 7:49 AM, Nickjc said:

if you need him dead for whatever reason....don't let it be just for kicks......

well if you do, get a bow.....as soon as he is on the ground doing damage....drill him.....nice and quite like....

then bury him....

I would think some of the rednecks on here would eat him instead of burying him.  :lol:

• Like 1

I would think some of the rednecks on here would eat him instead of burying him.  :lol:

Taste like chicken! [emoji883] / [emoji212]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Walt of Destiny said:

You all know this is a 7 year old topic, right? The squirrel died of natural causes by now. Or killed themselves to stop the insanity...

IMG_9148.JPG

Hey Walt;  You are the Posting Police? This thread turned up in a web search.  I know how old it was and decided to reply anyway in case some other person was researching this topic.  You put a lot of effort into your admonishment... I suggest you take up a more productive hobby.

Wow - I haven't been on this site in a few years and all of a sudden I am getting email notifications about shooting squirrels in the backyard and I am like "WTF is this" then I realize I am the original poster from SEVEN years ago.  Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking, but at the time I was a new gun owner and all I owned was a 22 Buckmark Camper at the time.  Now looking at this, I don't know what the heck I was thinking.  Rest assured, I did not shoot any squirrel in my back yard.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jgofnj said:

Wow - I haven't been on this site in a few years and all of a sudden I am getting email notifications about shooting squirrels in the backyard and I am like "WTF is this" then I realize I am the original poster from SEVEN years ago.  

Rest assured, I did not shoot any squirrel in my back yard.

u may want to start, some of these guys are hungry!  :p

11 hours ago, CageFighter said:

If you tried eating it you wouldn't think of them as tree rats anymore..........

Seriously, it's probably some of the best meat you'll ever try.