JackDaWack

beretta 92a1 or 96a1

Hey guys im current stuck in a bit of a pickle, i have a deposit on a new 92a1 at ramsey outdoor, but i talked to beretta and they told me the 92a1 nj compliant version will not be shipped for some time now. So i think i may get the 96a1, which is in stock almost everywhere. i was just wondering what you guys think about getting a 40S&W cal. for a first gun. When the 9mm is finally released and easy to find ill probably pick up one of those too. Is it worth getting? do you guys prefer 9mm or 40s&w? i can deal with the slight ammo price increase.

Hey guys im current stuck in a bit of a pickle, i have a deposit on a new 92a1 at ramsey outdoor, but i talked to beretta and they told me the 92a1 nj compliant version will not be shipped for some time now. So i think i may get the 96a1, which is in stock almost everywhere. i was just wondering what you guys think about getting a 40S&W cal. for a first gun. When the 9mm is finally released and easy to find ill probably pick up one of those too. Is it worth getting? do you guys prefer 9mm or 40s&w? i can deal with the slight ammo price increase.

This is a question that starts all kinds of online caliber wars. :)

I personally do not care for 40S&W. I have owned a CZ and an HK in that caliber and have since decided that it wasn't for me. I sold the guns and stick with 9mm. If I want something more powerful, I go with 10mm.

I find 9mm to be easier and more enjoyable to shoot, and don't feel undergunned with Speer Gold Dot +P ammo. As for ammo availability, 40 is more expensive than 9mm but I can tell you from experience that it was the one caliber always in stock during the Obama ammo shortage. I would shoot both before you spend the $$$. I have gone through a lot of guns that weren't "just right" for me.

Jack,

My first gun was a S&W M&P .40. I've since acquired a couple of 9mm guns, and I personally prefer the 9mm round. It's easier to shoot and easier on the wallet if you shoot a lot. In fact, I'm considering selling the .40 to fund another 9mm purchase (92FS or Jericho).

That said, the Beretta looks like a really nice gun, but unless you have some love for the integral accessory rail, or feel the need for a recoil reduction system in an all metal 9mm, the 92FS is readily available (new and pre-owned) almost anywhere, the stock mags are 15 rounds (instead of the 10 rounders (or find someone to neuter the 17 round mags prior to taking possession) you'll wind up with on the newer gun), and it's a proven and popular firearm.

Just out of idle curiosity, why Ramsey, and why leave a deposit on something they didn't have? Ramsey doesn't really have a reputation as a firearms discounter, and it's possible you could have found a better price elsewhere.

Of course YMMV.

Ken

<ghetto> Get a forty five son. You don't need that puny 40. </ghetto>

:icon_mrgreen:

In all seriousness, I would look at a 9mm over a 40.

a 40 caliber has its advantages and would be something to pick up for a competition gun. The recoil characteristics of a 40 caliber are a little snappy, which I do not like. Out of a steel gun it may not be bad, but all of the 40 calibers I have owned, I have sold. Including Glocks, Walthers and Sigs.

a 9mm is very versatile round. If you want to step up from there... a 45 caliber will not be that much more to handle. In fact, I prefer and find shooting a 45 caliber is easier than a 40 caliber.

However I would agree with Troy, you should start with a 22 Lr handgun for a first handgun, until you really know what your preferences are.

Just out of idle curiosity, why Ramsey, and why leave a deposit on something they didn't have? Ramsey doesn't really have a reputation as a firearms discounter, and it's possible you could have found a better price elsewhere.

Ken

Actually, Ken was being very diplomatic about Ramsey Outdoors. I don't know if you have an attachment to them, but their reputation is a lot worse than he made it out to be. I grew up in Bergen County and have avoided them after my first couple of experiences there. If you do a search on this board, you will see many people's experience there mirrors my own. There are enough shops in New Jersey owned by nice people that want your business and are willing to work with you on a price, that you don't need to settle for anything less. I guess what I'm saying is... If you are going to Ramsey only because they are close, you should check out other places too. There is a google map on this site of gunshops all across New Jersey.

You might also want to consider the firearm price request feature on this site. There are several firearms dealers that are sponsors here that will give you a price on the gun you want. I would not be surprised if the delivered price works out to be SIGNIFICANTLY lower than what you are being quoted. Good luck on your quest.

By the way, if you get a 92FS, you can buy a separate slide assembly that will allow you to shoot 40. You would also need a 40 mag. Check the Beretta Forums. They are on sale there pretty often.

I went with ramsey out door because they actually had the new 92a1 on order already, that was really the only reason. As a store i didn't like them very much, and they treated me like a child when i went in there. I had to push them just to help me, very bad sales people there, i almost just walked out. Every where else i went didnt even know what gun i was talking about since it's new and ramsey told me they had it on order, so i went with them because they will def. get the gun when beretta ships, opposed to other dealers who may or may not get it if there at the end of the order list. I only put a 100 down, and i can just get ammo if i choose to cancel the order. They didn't have a great price, but they also quoted me lower then another place i went to in garfield. The main reason i ordered like i said is because they are big on beretta and are getting the new guns. I'm probably gonna stick with the 9mm but i may get the 92f2, they also had a inox for sale but it was $760. Im a beretta nut, and when i saw the new 92a1 i kinda got hard for it. I like the fact i can change out the sight and it has an accessory rail, plus its a m9a1 varient. I may pick up the m9a1 if i can find that one.

I was actually directed here from beretta's forum by a memeber. I have been to a couple shops in the area and so far ramsey out door has been the worst. I kinda put the deposit down on impulse, it seemed like the best bet at the time, but now i found out i have to wait 2 months and im regretting making the decision.

Doesn't the 92A1 accept the standard 15 round 92 magazines? Ask them to order you the non-compliant 92A1 instead and sell you the gun without mags. Then you can just go buy 15 round mags yourself. Granted, they don't sound like the most understanding and easy to work with bunch over at Ramsey.. but might be worth a shot.

Doesn't the 92A1 accept the standard 15 round 92 magazines? Ask them to order you the non-compliant 92A1 instead and sell you the gun without mags. Then you can just go buy 15 round mags yourself. Granted, they don't sound like the most understanding and easy to work with bunch over at Ramsey.. but might be worth a shot.

From Beretta's website

Completely interchangeable with other 92 family magazines.

Good call, Pete.

Damn, we are a helpful and well informed group, aren't we?

Yup, they accept any 92 mag, but they cost over 30 bucks a pop, that's over 90 bucks in mags i would be throwing away. they want $680 for the gun, which is kinda reasonable. They wouldn't discount the gun sold with out the 17rds, so i would be spending upwards of $800 for the gun + mags. I might as well buy the inox at that point. Im not trying to be picky in any way, but im also not looking to just throw money away. I contacted Budsgunshop and they wouldn't even swap out the mags, they said there distributor has to ship it with hi-cap mags since the model number is for hi-cap mags, didn't make any sense to me, just take em out! i would have settled for 2-10rd mags in place of the 3-17rd mags, which are already more money and i would be getting 2 instead of 3.

I have a friend who is a FFL dealer in fairfeid who can help me out with literally anything, but when it comes to this gun its like pulling teeth. Actually i just thought maybe he would want the 17rnd mags since he can legally use them.

Ok guys, I think i know what im going to do, find the gun online at the cheapest price, tell them to keep the mags. I found it on budsgunshop for $611, plus 20 for transfer, plus 40 for mags. That's still cheaper then ramsey not including sales tax. And ill cancel the order with ramsey and buy ammo with the deposit. Oh yeah and have the gun shipped to my friend over at B&R firearms in fairfield.

Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

Ok guys, I think i know what im going to do, find the gun online at the cheapest price, tell them to keep the mags. I found it on budsgunshop for $611, plus 20 for transfer, plus 40 for mags. That's still cheaper then ramsey not including sales tax. And ill cancel the order with ramsey and buy ammo with the deposit.

Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

Transfer is going to be more than $20.

NICS in NJ is $16.05 and most FFL's will charge a minimum of $30 to do a transfer, so you are looking at $45 for a transfer.

Do yourself a favor, reach out to an FFL on the forum and ask them to order the gun without the mags... I am sure the price will be close.

which ramsey was this. ed lange, father of the 'famed' dave lange, works the gun counter at the ramsey in ramsey. i seriously doubt he'd treat you like a child. i know him personally to a point, and my uncle and him go back at least 30 years.

no one else seems interested in them, but my family has been dealing with meltzers for over 20yrs. clean, roomy, friendly and helpful.

He will do the transfer for free and 20 for the NCIS check!

That's awesome. It is nice to have a friend in the business. I pay $50 ($35 for transfer and $15 for NICS) at Shore Shot. And they are one of the best prices around for storefront shops.

which ramsey was this. ed lange, father of the 'famed' dave lange, works the gun counter at the ramsey in ramsey. i seriously doubt he'd treat you like a child. i know him personally to a point, and my uncle and him go back at least 30 years.

no one else seems interested in them, but my family has been dealing with meltzers for over 20yrs. clean, roomy, friendly and helpful.

It was the one in ramsey. they had like 4 people behind the counter at the gun dept. and all looked at me like i shouldn't be there lol. I do look young, but hey when ur in sales, anyone is a potential customer. I usually expect to be greeted and help when im staring into the glass cases. I'm kinda mixed about them, while they weren't rude or anything of that nature, i guess i just expected a little bit better service. We have a few shops in the area and you would think they would want you to come back .

Now when i went to meltzer, they were pulling every gun out of the case for me to look at. Giving specs and just throwing numbers around, i like that shop alot. Weird enough tho, all there guns were priced great, but they quoted the 92a1 at $699 , which was the highest i found.

you cant work new gun prices down much there. used you can. theyll usually throw a little something in for free if you buy a new gun. soft case, silicone sock, etc. every time ive gone, whether i bought a gun, something cheap, or browsed, theyve always been polite, courteous, and shot the shyt if they werent busy.

So your going with the 9mm? Just trying to get back on topic.

I recommend the 9mm, like everyone else here.

yeah i'm gonna go with the 9mm for sure. At some point ill get a bigger caliber, but probably not a 40S&W. Next on my list is a 22 or 22LR, and then probably a 45 for sH*ts and giggles. I want to get the best all around caliber for my first, and then go up or down depending on my needs, if i'm really going out to the range a lot probably a 22/22lr, if not i may just save up for a 1911. What really has my attention are he M&P-15's, if i really go out to the range ill probably pick up the 22lr and learn the ropes with AR's, and then down the road sell it and put the money toward a colt AR or if the M&P 5.56 is still doing well maybe that one the price looks to good to be true.

If you haven't realized yet i'm really big on US military/LEO issued weapons.