Sign in to follow this  
jermz1987

Kel-Tec RFB

Soooo what do you guys think of the new Kel Tec RFB? Im not sure what would need to be done to it for it to be Jersey Legal, But I want one. It takes FAL mags.

Here is a video.

Website

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/rfb/

Website selling the Kel Tec RFB

http://www.gundealeronline.com/Kel-Tec-RFB-18-7-62-High-Effeciency-Rifle-Forward-p/kt59724.htm

I do not like the way the shells eject.. granted I am no armorer and my fear may be based on lack of understanding.. but pushing shells out through a chute seems more complicated than it needs to be.. for something in the 1500 - 2000 range in that caliber.. I would much rather have a Socom II... granted totally different animal.. but just saying..

I personally like the bullpup design, and the fact that brass goes out the front (opposed to the side). The compactness while maintaining a longer barrel (18'' barrel, 26-27'' overall? Very nice) is a huge plus.

My only beef is that the sight radius is so darn short for irons, and that's an issue with the bullpup design as a whole. Though, in the modern era, I guess it doesn't really matter seeing how most everyone utilizes some type of optic. I also do feel that .308 would be a bit painful coming out of a bullpup rifle. And, more of an issue, would be harder to keep a consistent position/sight picture. If it came in 5.56/.223, I think it would be a better choice.

Which really boils down the argument to the fact that I'm personally waiting for the Tavor TAR-21 (stupid CD closing :icon_cry:)

My limited experience with a bullpup-designed rifle definitely had a bit more kick than a front-loading rifle (or to note an M16... not really noticeable compared to an M4). I've also read since that bullpups may kick a bit harder because the design may be responsible for the increase in felt-recoil (I read this after I had experienced one first-hand). I haven't shot a .308 bullpup, and I can't vouch for that-- just a theory based on those two caveats.

I do not like the way the shells eject.. granted I am no armorer and my fear may be based on lack of understanding.. but pushing shells out through a chute seems more complicated than it needs to be.. for something in the 1500 - 2000 range in that caliber.. I would much rather have a Socom II... granted totally different animal.. but just saying..

Socom II is a big step above this rifle. Good post Vladimir!

Just trying to wrap my brain around why it would kick more.... If weight is equal and load is equal... I would actually think there would be less because the reciprocating mass is aft and under greater control. Theorising, not stating based on any actual research or knowledge. I can tell you that my 338 Lapua Magnum bullpup does not recoil more than conventional 338's.....

So i have spoke with the FFL i used to get my sub2000 from and he told me that he cant get the RFB...Says that the vendors wont ship it to NJ....

Only thing i can see is that it need a brake pinned and 10rd mags instead of 20's...

So has anyone else heard anything?

So i have spoke with the FFL i used to get my sub2000 from and he told me that he cant get the RFB...Says that the vendors wont ship it to NJ....

Only thing i can see is that it need a brake pinned and 10rd mags instead of 20's...

So has anyone else heard anything?

I heard that the Socom II is a better gun.. and probably about the same price...

if you mean in regards to buying an RFB.. no have not heard anything..

I heard that the Socom II is a better gun.. and probably about the same price...

if you mean in regards to buying an RFB.. no have not heard anything..

Yea i was talking about the RFB and if we can have in Jersey...

If not i guess plan b....

DPMS LR308 w/ A4 flattop Upper 24” SS fluted barrel.....:)

Vlad, listen to your girlfriend! Ive heard from to many class instructors that report the socom 2's just dont hold up well. Thats not to say they cant be made to by unitizing the gas system and swapping oot for USGI parts but... why go backwards unless you just love the M1A platform.

I have committed to keeping the AR... I am happy with it's performance.. rock solid.. no failures.. extremely accurate.. so yeah I agree with you.. with that said I do love the M1A and will likely have one at some point.. she will get a kick out of "when it comes to guns listen to your girlfriend" LOL

but with that said I would still take an AR10 OR M1A over the RFB

They are the only ones I know of doing a true hammer forged reciever same as the original M14. This is not necessarily a bad thing but if it matters to you Springfield Armory recievers are cast. But a good casting, I have never heard of one failing. But I like forged :)

I have a pretty standard procedure in buying firearms..

*figure out what I want..

*purchase the best I can afford based on what I want...

so I would honestly opt for the "better" providing the cost is manageable..

I have a pretty standard procedure in buying firearms..

*figure out what I want..

*purchase the best I can afford based on what I want...

so I would honestly opt for the "better" providing the cost is manageable..

Proceed with caution Vlad.... Once Shane starts you down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny :icon_twisted:

He get's me into all kinds of trouble :icon_lol: (I kid :wub: )

I like the concept of the rifle but.....just don't think I can justify the price. If it were made by a more reliable company, and had some sort of conventional system to eject the cases, then maybe I could justify the price. I don't understand the extraction......in the video, you can see the user firing 2-3 shots, then all the cases come dumping out at once. What happens if you are aiming at anything higher than completely parallel to the ground?

The forward ejecting stuff is very reliable. Its like on the FS2K. If you fire straight up or at elevation, the newly ejected shells will simply push the others up, until they start falling out one by one for each shot... or you tilt the rifle downwards and they all come out at the same time. There's no room for them to jam into each other inside the ejection port.

The main purpose of this setup is for ambidextrous use in the field. With other bullpups, if you are in a situation where you need to use your off-hand, you have to use a technique using your hand to block the shell ejections from hitting you in the face or keep your head way back.