fliks

The Walking Dead

i like it, though theyve already broken some basic zombie outbreak commandments. scavenging for gas alone, without a weapon already drawn? a revolver as your primary? 6 rounds arent going to do much. walking through a park, alone, just to shoot one crawling torso, wasting ammo and alerting others with noise? playing sniper outside your safehouse, drawing in hordes with no extra protection then some boards nailed up?

it also seems the cop left his house with nothing but the clothes on his back. not even water, food, clothes?

ill still watch the season.....just hope they add some 'realism' to the thing.

Can you assume that characters in zombie movies are supposed to have seen zombie movies and know what to do?

So maybe that makes things more realistic that they are not following zombie "rules". As characters get killed off for their stupid behavior, the survivors will learn valuable lessons in what not to do.

would it not be obvious to anyone, with or without zombie knowledge, to walk away from home with more then the clothes theyre wearing? a bottle of water perhaps? he saw his wife and son took supplies with them when they left. why didnt he.

I agree with you. That is what a rational person would do. I think that Rick was completely disoriented and put on a good "game face" to stop from losing his mind. Zombies are no mystery to frequenters of gun boards :), but I imagine that they are mind-blowing to anyone unfamiliar with the idea and who is dropped into the middle of what used to be his world and is now a zombie infested hell.

Anybody pick up on the anti gun moment when the Father freaks out about using a damn gun, and how all it does is attract other zombies?

I don't think it was anti gun at all. He's thinking why waste a round when he could've just bashed it with a shovel. And they make many references to the fact that they are attracted to sounds.

Later on while in the gun locker at the police station, they where sounding pro-gun in regards to respect and safety.

• Like 2

I don't think it was anti gun at all. He's thinking why waste a round when he could've just bashed it with a shovel. And they make many references to the fact that they are attracted to sounds.

Later on while in the gun locker at the police station, they where sounding pro-gun in regards to respect and safety.

I took the first part as being anti gun....since anti's always ask *what good is a gun*....but did find it interesting to see the scene in the police station, and the Father plinking with zombies as targets.

If you read this, then you'll understand why I found that moment to be anti gun:

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2010/09/16/unbelievable-article-from-the-anti-gun-crowd/ (not zombie related, but about how anti's feel blacks should have stayed unarmed in the south, since all guns do is escalate violence)

Or....you can just take heed and have a suppressor, or two, in your zombie survival kit....

Lennie James' character definitely is not anti-gun, he's just pissed at himself for using the gun because it attracted the large crowd [of zombies]. If you get the chance to read the graphic novels, Kirkman's zombies [in The Walking Dead series] are SUPER sensitive to sound-- something that should be relatively significant in the next couple of episodes because of one particular upcoming incident... (if it makes it into the show.)

So, I was actually thoroughly surprised (in a good way) when I saw that same exact scene-- regarding Lennie James' character's reaction to using a [loud] gun. It really seems like they're not just portraying a series, but really living the pages out... real immersion. Really good stuff.

Seriously, Ray? The topic is here to discuss both the show and the comic. Honestly, there can't really even be "spoiler alerts" regarding this story as we already know what happens volumes and volumes down the road (unless someone has already seen the episodes ahead of schedule-- in that case, yea, those are spoiler alerts :icon_e_wink:).

(unless someone has already seen the episodes ahead of schedule-- in that case, yea, those are spoiler alerts :icon_e_wink:).

:blush: I was good and didn't reveal any spoilers

Anyway, people shouldn't come into this thread until AFTER they've watched an episode. Kind of like the Top Shot thread.

the basic story line is all laid out in the comic for many episodes to come. sure there are those "show-specific" details that shouldn't be given away if someone has seen episodes that haven't premiered on TV yet (thanks, Caine). but wondering if "hey are they gonna kill off so-and-so like they did in the comic" or whatever else that already happened in the comic is fair to discuss.

the basic story line is all laid out in the comic for many episodes to come. sure there are those "show-specific" details that shouldn't be given away if someone has seen episodes that haven't premiered on TV yet (thanks, Caine). but wondering if "hey are they gonna kill off so-and-so like they did in the comic" or whatever else that already happened in the comic is fair to discuss.

Some of us(IE myself and... someone... else?) have never read the comic. Perhaps the comic guys can have their own thread so nothing spoils the show for me(us)?

mmm, I dunno Jon. I made the caption on this thread "Discuss the comic and show" :icon_e_biggrin:

maybe the non-comic book reading populace can have their own thread for just the show :icon_lol:

but seriously, it's available at the library. that's how I read them. Somerset County is great that you can put them on hold online and have them delivered to your local branch. Given now that the show is out, I see more people are putting them on hold, but you can still get your hands on them - FREE! Here's a link to the first paperback collection

I doubt we'll be spoiling too much though. it will probably be more like "OMG did you see that?!?!?!? I can't believe they showed that!!!" or maybe discussing certain differences between the show and the comic after the episodes have played on TV.

Dude, I just said above that we're not really gonna be spoiling much. That we'll mostly be discussing differences between the comic and the show after the show aired. This thread is for both the comic and the show, so while I will personally try to not spoil anything for people, I don't want to be totally restricted in mentioning/wondering about details from the comic.

Okay, well obviously most of us don't read comics so why would you want to ruin it for others?

This started as a geek thread for those of us who did read the comics and were psyched about the show. Comparisons between the two are inevitable. Maybe we can change the title to "The Walking Dead - Spoiler Alert".

Also, remember that none of us know what parts of the comic will be followed and what won't. The helicopter at the end of the first show is made up for the TV show.

Youthful Sidekick

Young and exuberant, you're always read to volunteer for perilous assignments like scouting for supplies and rescuing other survivors.

While you fully understand the danger, you still get a thrill from the experience. You form tight bonds with your fellow survivors and are intensely loyal to them.

---

Sounds about right.