JonF

Speed strip kit for Ruger rimfire pistols

Majestic Arms has a new speed strip kit for you guys with Mark I, II, III and 22/45 pistols. Apparently there was a similar product years ago, but now after a long hiatus, its back and available again. It consists of a few replacement internal parts which eliminate the lever doohickey and replaces it with a simple allen screw located at the top of the receiver. Removal of that screw allows the guns' bolt to be slid right out with no more finagling. The kit is moderately priced at $49 + S/H direct from the manufacturer but i don't know if there are any discount retailers carrying it. An added benefit to the kit is that the included replacement hammer drops your trigger pull to a nice mid 3 lb pull so there's more than just convenience to it.

Kit:

http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

How it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlm2nz-Y_Qk

I installed one this week. It is worth the money. I lost the detent ball on the safety and had to buy 100. If anybody wants one or two for free, send me a PM. I have 99 available.

I don't know why but I find this very funny. hahahaah. Sorry man

Majestic Arms has a new speed strip kit for you guys with Mark I, II, III and 22/45 pistols. Apparently there was a similar product years ago, but now after a long hiatus, its back and available again. It consists of a few replacement internal parts which eliminate the lever doohickey and replaces it with a simple allen screw located at the top of the receiver. Removal of that screw allows the guns' bolt to be slid right out with no more finagling. The kit is moderately priced at $49 + S/H direct from the manufacturer but i don't know if there are any discount retailers carrying it. An added benefit to the kit is that the included replacement hammer drops your trigger pull to a nice mid 3 lb pull so there's more than just convenience to it.

Kit:

http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

How it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlm2nz-Y_Qk

Hmm, I was looking to get a 22, and had narrowed the choices to a Buck Mark, the Mark III, or the 22/45. I haven't made up my mind, but I was leaning towards a stainless Buck Mark Camper, in large part to the the field stripping ease, over either Ruger. Seeing that video, and seeing vids on the Buck Mark disassembly, it seems that this kit may make me lean back to the Rugers.

I know that this is similar to a Chevy/Ford decision, but metaphorically speaking, if you need to remove the exhaust system to change the oil (regular Rugar disassembly) then you would be tempted to lean towards the other vehicle. This kit evens up my decision. Darn.

Any suggestions? In your opinions, would this be a "game changer" to look at the Rugers?

I'm just not sure why you're worried about the Ruger. I've owned mine for over 20 years and yes, the first time it's a little tricky, but beyond that, it's not really that big of a deal.

I agree 100% With the Buckmark, you have that spring under the grip which is a pain in the neck if you have the THX grips.

The ruger take down and re-assembly is very easy if you know how to do it. You tube has plenty of videos showing how to do it. Basically its a process of holding the gun in a certain orientation while you put specific parts back in. The first couple times is a PITA because of the tight fit, but once you do it a couple times everything slides right in.

Seems like Ruger should have made the gun this way in the first place. I stripped one of these once. What a pain in the a**

The reason ruger doesn't use this is exactly because of the stripping issue. There are no parts to strip in the original design. Plus the parts snap into place and no tools are needed. You could take down a ruger and put it back together just a quickly with out the mod, and still keep the reliability. I would suggest the kit for someone who is having continual problems with the re-assembly of the ruger, but i don't see this mod as an upgrade.

I have a question... how many times did it take for you guy to take the MkIII apart to get it to disassemble smoothly? I can get it apart and back together easily, but i have to use some serious elbow grease. I have to whack the crap out of the barrel to get it off and seated back on. And i have to tap the bolt out, pulling on it just tares my hand up.

I have a Mark II and it was purchased used. No mallets are used in the abuse of this pistol. ;)

Abuse is definitely the correct use of words here. I took a small piece of 2x4 to the barrel to get it off.. getting it back on took significantly more force. I can see where it needs to wear on the barrel at the 2 points the frame fits snug at the front and back. I'm pretty sure the hook piece on the spring needs to wear in for the bolt, ive been using a pin punch to tap it down. It just seemed so unnecessary to use such brute force. Tight tolerance i guess.