gunnarsport

Visited Cheyenne Mt. and Sportsman Center today...

Hi,

So I was in Bordentown on Route 130 at Bicycle Pro, picking up some fresh supplies for my upcoming cycling season, and decided to stop at both Sportsman Center and Cheyenne Mt. I first stopped

at Sportsman and altough I have browsed the store many times, its always strikes me as just how outdated this place is! Its like you are are stepping back in time to the 1970's and the Carter

Administration! Its just depressing in there...old, outdated displays, dust on merchandise, etc. The gun counter had 3 or 4 rather LARGE dudes with camouflage pants, using foul language. The

handgun display was spare and not every visually appealing. This place looks like its about ready to close its doors! I did not speak to any sales people in the store and left after just a few

minutes. I will NOT be buying my handguns at Sportsman Center!

I than drove the few miles to Cheyenne Mt Outfitters. Again, I have been in the store many times before(I brought some boots there a few years ago). MUCH nicer store and modern of course its

a brand new building. I proceeded to the gun counter and was greeted by a very nice older gentleman named Norm. He gladly let me handle a few revolvers...Ruger GP100 and S&W Model 686. Their

prices seem quite high, so im not sure I will be purchasing from them either, but their service is certainly MUCH better than Sportmans Center. Their gun display is also must more attractive

too. Cheyenne Mt had a FULL firearms display, not sparse looking like Sportsman Center.

Thats my thoughts on these two stores.

So, can you guys tells me which gun shop in Central or South Jersey has great prices for revolvers?? Or a shop that is flexible and willing to come down a bit on prices??

It will be hard to find a shop that has GREAT prices, but you should definitely check out the price request on this forum. If you don't get the price you want, look online and find someone who does transfers at a reasonable price.

i 2nd the price request. cheyenne's will negotiate if you find it cheaper tell them where and how much and they will work with you(atleast they did on a gsg when they were supposedly going away) pk90 on here is awesome and gives very good pricing and he is more than happy to explain things to you. just my 2 cents

I am really surprised to hear that about Sportsmens Center. They are in the middle of a remodel right now, and out of the two, it is by far my preferred place to shop.

Cheyenne was built only a few years ago, so that is why it is new. What you will find is that many hardcore gun people will shop at Sportsmens Center, and the new gun owners will shot Cheyenne.

As far as knowledge, Lonnie and Fitz at SC are very experienced and great to talk to. They truly want you to have the best for your need, as opposed to just selling you something. On numerous occasions during my incognito trips to Cheyenne, have I seen them recommend a Glock 23 (40 caliber) to a brand new female gunowner, who told them she never shot before, a Kimber 1911 to a first time Goldman Sachs banker who never shot before, an Hk USP 45 to a new gun owner who saw one on TV and wanted an Hk.

Typically, the run down places are the best to shop, as it often means the gun store owners and staff are putting more emphasis on satisfaction and product over banking the buck to increase their store.

If you want to see scary... go to Solomon's in Farmingdale, one of my favorite places to shop.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Brian at Sportsmen's Center gave NJ2AS a $50 gift card and Rocky at Cheyenne gave us a $20 gift card. Both were auctioned off at the meeting last Wednesday for Operation Establish Compliance.

So, have a heart! ;)

Maks makes a very good point and it's one that may often be missed by the neophyte. Without a doubt some of the best places to go gun shopping are stores that you probably wouldn't consider setting foot in, if they were selling any other commodity than guns. What do you think the reaction of gunnarsport would be if we sent him to Jim Flynn's, or as Maks mentioned, Solomons. Some of my favorite stores look like they haven't been attended to since the '50's.

When I lived in NE PA one of my favorites was a guy that worked out of his garage. Like stepping back into history right down to the potbelly stove. Once he got to know you, he'd let you dig through the shelves or show you what he set aside that was special. There is something special about an old time gun store that just can't be captured by people more bent on marketing than on shooting and guns.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I used to fish a lot and used to make the occasional trip to down to SC or Harry's. SC was always the classier store. Not having step foot in SC in about 2 months ago after not visiting for about 10 years, I too, was shocked at how old SC looked. Cheyenne was just like Harry's. Very cluttered with all sorts of stuff. Both Fitz SC and some young guy with a beard at Cheyenne were good to me. 10 years ago when SC had the guns in the back room it seemed like a very popular store. Is it the economy, people are doing outdoor sports less or the Internet that is hurting business? Maybe all 3.

i bought a gun at each sportsman center and cheyenne. at cheyenne i bought a gsg that was on display right then and there. however, i ordered a specific firearm from sportsman center, which was a mossberg persuader with both stock and a separate pistol grip attachment. i agree that cheyenne is overpriced, but my BIGGEST problem is their attitude. they have a very very brash attitude and act like they know everything and you are stupid for asking. i did not care for their salespeople and will not go back to them. sportsman center, i agree, is very outdated. their rifles look like something that would have been used in the spanish-american war. but the salesman are VERY knowledgeable and polite and do not mind answering 30 questions if you have them. and as long as the gun is available somewhere, they will do a transfer for you. i think their transfers are a bit slow but i got my gun and i love it so i dont mind that now. if i had to choose a place to go for advice or a new firearm, id go to sportsman center. i also have a friend who like brick armory.

Cheyenne is nice if you want to look at a variety of guns and there is one guy that looks like he should be a Civil War reanactor has always been helpful, but I prefer Sportsmans Center. I can't remember his name, but a few years back one of the old timers that works there was very helpful when my wife wanted a new gun. He talked to her, not to me and answered her questions w/o being a condescending prick as we have had happen in other stores before. Because of him we spent 2k on pistols. His and hers. Got to love a wife that shoots.

Cheyenne is nice if you want to look at a variety of guns and there is one guy that looks like he should be a Civil War reanactor has always been helpful, but I prefer Sportsmans Center. I can't remember his name, but a few years back one of the old timers that works there was very helpful when my wife wanted a new gun. He talked to her, not to me and answered her questions w/o being a condescending prick as we have had happen in other stores before. Because of him we spent 2k on pistols. His and hers. Got to love a wife that shoots.

Sounds like Fritz at SC.

Seems many gun stores are also focused on the hunting and outdoor sports theme as well. It does make sense, but sometimes you want a pure gun store, with a large selection gun accessories, shooting sports accessories, ammo, reloading supplies, and a great selection of guns... all with reasonable prices (not internet, but also not rip off). I have yet to find this.

Most of my experiences in NJ "gun stores" has been walking around the aisles of artificial deer urine and turkey calls to get to the meager selection of gun accessories.

Brick was shaping up to be more of what i wanted, although the accessory part was pretty much non-existent, and my unimpressive experiences with customer service has turned me away.

All this being said, I give credit to those who own and operate gun stores in this state. It must be difficult with the relatively small market, broad taste in gun styles, crazy laws, and internet competition.

Seems many gun stores are also focused on the hunting and outdoor sports theme as well. It does make sense, but sometimes you want a pure gun store, with a large selection gun accessories, shooting sports accessories, ammo, reloading supplies, and a great selection of guns... all with reasonable prices (not internet, but also not rip off). I have yet to find this.

Most of my experiences in NJ "gun stores" has been walking around the aisles of artificial deer urine and turkey calls to get to the meager selection of gun accessories.

Brick was shaping up to be more of what i wanted, although the accessory part was pretty much non-existent, and my unimpressive experiences with customer service has turned me away.

All this being said, I give credit to those who own and operate gun stores in this state. It must be difficult with the relatively small market, broad taste in gun styles, crazy laws, and internet competition.

In NJ, there are between 800k on the low side, 1.1 mil on the high side firearms owners... I would venture to say 60% of them are hunters/clay hunters. Keep in mind, your typical gun owner will shoot once or twice a year, and their "worn out" gun will have 500 rounds through it. You can't run a business around those folks.

In NJ, there are between 800k on the low side, 1.1 mil on the high side firearms owners... I would venture to say 60% of them are hunters/clay hunters. Keep in mind, your typical gun owner will shoot once or twice a year, and their "worn out" gun will have 500 rounds through it. You can't run a business around those folks.

Yea its a shame. I know I'm a rare animal.

Whenever I go into CMO, I wait to talk to Omar. He is a great guy, retired cop, and really gives me the feeling that he doesn't give a crap if he sells a gun or just sits there and shoots the crap. Yesterday he spotted me, and stuck around an extra hour and a half after his shift ended to help me after his current customer. That's pretty hard to find in any retail setting these days.

I shop at both but have not purchased a gun from the sportsman center because they never had one I was looking for. I know that the SC sells superioir cleaning supplies by far and you can find better ammo deals at SC. Both places are decent shops. Cheyanne gets really super busy and the crew behind the gun counter gets stressed out by people who are "tire kickers". If you tell them your intentions up front (just wanna look, really wanna buy, etc...) they are usually OK with it. Cheyanne will deal too. The price they have on the tag is not carved in stone. I got my M1A National Match from them for a price that only buds gunshop could beat.

Ken

Cheyennes better be flexible on price because the prices they display are terribly over priced. I'm not sure if they even have anything that is even at MSRP nevertheless under it. I hope their employees are more knowledgeable than the guy I talked to, where apparently terms like 'bulk' and 'Milsurp' were foreign to him.

Sportsmans seemed to have solid prices on accessories and cleaning supplies. Not sure about their firearms, as they don't seem to have much so I didn't bother looking.

Cheyennes better be flexible on price because the prices they display are terribly over priced. I'm not sure if they even have anything that is even at MSRP nevertheless under it. I hope their employees are more knowledgeable than the guy I talked to, where apparently terms like 'bulk' and 'Milsurp' were foreign to him.

Sportsmans seemed to have solid prices on accessories and cleaning supplies. Not sure about their firearms, as they don't seem to have much so I didn't bother looking.

I havent found a gunshop yet that speaks "bulk" or "milsurp"! For those two I have been using Ammoman in west berlin. The prices I am paying there are good and make it worth hte drive. Just make sure you call first or they may not sell to you. Kinda weird but once you see the place you will understand. It is primarilly a Wholesale and internet business.

Ken

Hi Went to both stores Today Sportsman center & Cheyenne . I usually go to sportman center for archery Vinny is great. Sad firearms section, looking to shoulder Browning 725 20 gauge no luck no 725s at all? Ask if they would be getting them in soon lady behind the counter said no its to expensive to stock in this area?? I can order it for you ( No Sh!!) So i went to Cheyenne They had 1 Browning  725 12 gauge i asked same question got almost sam answer seamed like i was bothering The guy behind counter asking for a 20 gauge 725 to shoulder. I cant seem to find a Browning 725 20 gauge in nj would like to see the fit & balance  . Guess i'm off to Pa Cabela's where im appreciated .

Hi,

So I was in Bordentown on Route 130 at Bicycle Pro, picking up some fresh supplies for my upcoming cycling season, and decided to stop at both Sportsman Center and Cheyenne Mt. I first stopped

at Sportsman and altough I have browsed the store many times, its always strikes me as just how outdated this place is! Its like you are are stepping back in time to the 1970's and the Carter

Administration! Its just depressing in there...old, outdated displays, dust on merchandise, etc. The gun counter had 3 or 4 rather LARGE dudes with camouflage pants, using foul language. The

handgun display was spare and not every visually appealing. This place looks like its about ready to close its doors! I did not speak to any sales people in the store and left after just a few

minutes. I will NOT be buying my handguns at Sportsman Center!

I than drove the few miles to Cheyenne Mt Outfitters. Again, I have been in the store many times before(I brought some boots there a few years ago). MUCH nicer store and modern of course its

a brand new building. I proceeded to the gun counter and was greeted by a very nice older gentleman named Norm. He gladly let me handle a few revolvers...Ruger GP100 and S&W Model 686. Their

prices seem quite high, so im not sure I will be purchasing from them either, but their service is certainly MUCH better than Sportmans Center. Their gun display is also must more attractive

too. Cheyenne Mt had a FULL firearms display, not sparse looking like Sportsman Center.

Thats my thoughts on these two stores.

So, can you guys tells me which gun shop in Central or South Jersey has great prices for revolvers?? Or a shop that is flexible and willing to come down a bit on prices??

I have a hard time believing you've ever been in Sportsman's Center recently but can believe you're some pal of someone associated with Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters. I find the staff at SC relaxed, friendly and approachable whether you're a long time firearms owner or a newbie. CMO staff seems abrupt and treats everyone like you're wasting their time. Never have seen the "Large" dudes in SC or guys in camo working the counter. I've bought four handguns from SC and they have always got me exactly what I've wanted at a price that is fair, competitive and always below CMO. I for one like being able to walk in to a dealer who will shake my hand, find out what I want and take care of me. If I want to walk in to a shop and take a number to be waited on, I'll just go to Shop Rite.

Still a good topic, although Cheyenne is now down the road in Bordentown.  I haven't yet had a chance to stop in the new store.

Back in the '12 panic, I was one of those guys standing in a mob with my deli counter ticket at Cheyenne.  I ended up with a couple of long guns that caught my eye soon thereafter.  Once in a while they have a little sale sign on some of the ammo that is hard to find if you need it now.

What drove me nuts is that if I wanted to browse the stock, my eyes aren't sharp enough to read the little price tags from 6 feet away.  I don't want to waste the staff's time unless I spot something I like that fits the budget.  My wife does retail signage and display for a living, so she could straighten that out in a day.  If a stick of lipstick at CVS is clear as a bell for $7.99, surely a $1700 gun would justify the effort of a readable price sign.

If someone at Cheyenne wants to talk about how to make 1000 times better for the retail shopper, they should PM me.

Sportsmans Center was a mess at that time...no ammo, few guns...but they are much better now.  I do go there for most of my fishing needs.

EDIT: Noticed after the post a newer Cheyenne thread lower on the page....