Krdshrk

Krdshrk's AR Build

Yep I'm going to chronicle my AR Build.

Still deciding exactly what I want and building from there.

First item acquired is a Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower (Thanks, Dan!):

SpikesLower.jpg

I have also ordered a Palmetto State Armory Magpul MOE Lower Build Kit (Magpul MOE Stock, Grip, Trigger Guard, Palmetto State Armory Classic Lower Parts Kit and a Mil-spec Buffer Tube Assembly):

http://palmettostatearmory.com/598.php

(Note: AR15.com currently has a group buy for it - $124.99 - use coupon code "ar15.com")

The upper is from JSE Surplus. Del-Ton A3 upper w/ 16" 1/7 Barrel, YHM Phantom 5M2 Comp/Brake, Magpul MOE Handgrip (Black), Badger Gen 2 Tactical Latch, Rock River Arms BCG, and 4-Rail Gas Block.

Total cost so far:

Spikes Lower: $80

PSA Magpul MOE LBK: $132 (Shipped)

JSE Surplus Custom Upper: $422 (Shipped)

Total: $634

If you want a assembled upper I can get you one at a discounted price from http://www.jsesurplus.com/

I just cut a great deal with them. I added up my parts w/ discount from Midway and came out cheaper with quality components at JSE. Example: RRA bolt carrier assem complete $105.

Just pick out components price it out and PM me what you want.

Good luck with the build Nick. That JSE site looks pretty cool, going to check it out when I have time.

You'll like the Spike's lower. My wallet is happier it is in your hands, as I'm sure I couldn't fight the temptation to put together another AR. :)

Cheap. Accurate. Reliable.

Choose any two.

You can build an AR using the cheapest parts you can find and it will be an okay plinker, but don't expect it to be worth its salt at a class where you're going to put any meaningful amount of ammunition through it.

A quality upper is a must, BCM is gtg if you're trying to do this on a budget.

If i did it again i would have bout a better lower parts kit. Even though Del ton one is fine.

Joe I don't know what the Del-Ton trigger is like but I have found the DPMS triggers BAD! But believe it or not they can really be refined.

I'm trying to balance between "as affordable as I can manage" with "AR Snobbery" lol. From what I've seen, the PSA LPK Triggers are decent - with a cleaner break than Bushy & DPMS. I figure I can swap in a different upper later on. Right now I just want something that works and is reliable. I'm not a bullseye shooter and I know I'm not that great a shot, so supreme accuracy isn't a big deal to me :)

I would recommend the BCM upper. I know it is a budget AR but for the money BCM barrels are very good quality at a very affordable price. You can usually skimp on other parts but not the barrel. In this case you can still skimp on the barrel since BCM is very affordable!

I'm trying to balance between "as affordable as I can manage" with "AR Snobbery" lol. From what I've seen, the PSA LPK Triggers are decent - with a cleaner break than Bushy & DPMS. I figure I can swap in a different upper later on. Right now I just want something that works and is reliable. I'm not a bullseye shooter and I know I'm not that great a shot, so supreme accuracy isn't a big deal to me :)

The PSA LPK is great, and is what I have on my newest AR. The trigger was pretty good compared to others that I tried. I just replaced it with the Geissele. Be wary of the PSA LPK bolt hold catch pin, mine seemed oversized, and I had to use a spare from one of my spare parts kits which fit much better.

OK so an upper has been ordered. Yeah, it's a Del-Ton but it'll work well enough for what I want until I can afford something better :)

Del-Ton 1x7 5.56 Crome Moly Carbine Upper - with Magpul MOE handguard, YHM Phantom 5M2 Smooth Comp/Brake, Badger Gen 2 Tac Latch, RRA Bolt Carrier Assembly, 4 Rail Gas Block (No front sight post/bay lug). No carry handle either.