4redz

PA State ID and purchasing firearms

per PennDOT you cannot have a DL or ID from another state. Gun purchases aside, I'll be paying the same Taxes / Rent whatever as a resident, but have to pay non resident hunting/fishing fees because I can't get a PA ID without surrendering my NJ DL. Ain't necessarily fair, but from all I read...it is what it is. Makes no sense.

if i recall from when i was looking, they give you 60 days to turn in your nj dl. my understanding is that you still get your pa non-driver id though.

Because we live here. And to own firearms in NJ you must be a resident. In PA they honor non res CCW's .

So you can posses in both states as a Jersey res not the other way around.What we are trying to find out is if there is a lawful way to buy a pistol in PA in order to avoid NJ's massive red tape.

You got it backwards. PA's new attorney general is ditching non resident carry permit reciprocity. Your Florida permit wont work there no more. And in NJ you can have firearms on any property you reside at, and even if you own or rent no property in NJ, you can still get a FPID from the NJ state police.

Get a PA drivers license and a PA carry permit and you are set. Keep your NJ municipal issued FPID and if you want, get a non-resident one issued by the NJ state police with your PA address on it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

You got it backwards. PA's new attorney general is ditching non resident carry permit reciprocity. Your Florida permit wont work there no more. And in NJ you can have firearms on any property you reside at, and even if you own or rent no property in NJ, you can still get a FPID from the NJ state police.

Get a PA drivers license and a PA carry permit and you are set. Keep your NJ municipal issued FPID and if you want, get a non-resident one issued by the NJ state police with your PA address on it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Utah is still accepted as are other states that mandate instruction I believe. As far as the other info if you are correct I owe you a turkey dinner. However there are other issues like payroll taxes to be checked. NY is respiratory on taxes with workers from NJ but I'm not sure PA is. I've been told that if you live in PA you pay both state taxes if you work in NYC. But that might be an outright false statement .I don't know.

. And to own firearms in NJ you must be a resident.

Since when? NJ FID is a license to PURCHASE firearms as a NJ resident--So long as you are not a "prohibited person", and the firearms you possess in NJ are NJ legal--there is no requirement to be a NJ resident to own firearms in NJ. You just might need to run "over the border" to get ammo if you need to.

Get a PA license.

Since when? NJ FID is a license to PURCHASE firearms as a NJ resident--So long as you are not a "prohibited person", and the firearms you possess in NJ are NJ legal--there is no requirement to be a NJ resident to own firearms in NJ. You just might need to run "over the border" to get ammo if you need to.

Get a PA license.

Humm you may be right. So a non NJ resident may take his guns with him on a family outing to the Jersey shore ?

Humm you may be right. So a non NJ resident may take his guns with him on a family outing to the Jersey shore ?

Depends. Is there a gun range at said Jersey shore? You're also still restricted by the Orwellian transport laws.

Utah is still accepted as are other states that mandate instruction I believe. As far as the other info if you are correct I owe you a turkey dinner. However there are other issues like payroll taxes to be checked. NY is respiratory on taxes with workers from NJ but I'm not sure PA is. I've been told that if you live in PA you pay both state taxes if you work in NYC. But that might be an outright false statement .I don't know.

I'd say ask whoever does your taxes, but drivers license isn't the main consideration for primary tax residence, it is 99% the number of days you stay in one house versus another, and then other factors like proximity to work, where you go to church, where your family is, etc. A PA drivers license isn't going to change whether you owe taxes to PA or not from your NY employment due to owning a house there. I am not a tax man but when I worked in NY while living in NJ, NY got my income taxes, NJ got nothing, and that's straight out of H&R Block. The money was earned in NY and withheld by NY, so I paid NY taxes, and NJ's income tax percentage is less than NY, so my credit for taxes paid to NY totally wiped out any income tax liability in NJ. You'd only pay taxes in PA if PA's income tax was higher than NY, which I seriously doubt. A couple minutes talking with whoever does your taxes will set your mind at ease. The couple hundred it costs to go to H&R Block is so totally worth it, BTW, if you are doing your own taxes you might be messing them up big time. Gun laws are complex enough, tax law is totally indecipherable.

As for whether you can take your guns to the NJ shore with a PA drivers license, it's no difference if your DL is NJ or PA - if you have the NJ FPID card then you can take an unloaded rifle or shotgun, and non-hollow point non-"dum dum" bullets in your trunk anywhere but a "school zone" or other exclusion area regardless of whether you live in the state or not.

If I were you, I'd be at the PA DMV right now, followed by a trip to the county sheriff's office where your house in PA is to get a resident carry permit. What's the point of having a place in PA if you aren't going to avail yourself of the benefits?

Kman,

I see your home range is in PA but you residence is NJ. I posted on another thread about traveling to a friends property to train and practice. In PA it seems they leave the (Range;place of practice, vague). If you have any experience with this matter I would appreciate your input.

FYI, I have a second home in PA, I live in NJ but I work in NY. I believe traveling to/from my home in NJ and my home in PA is Legal.

Okay, this got me thinking, and I'm guilty of it just as much as the next guy: Let's stop calling it an "FID", and call it what it is, which is an "FPID".

The former implies a "Firearms ID", of which could mean that you must have one in order to actually possess firearms. While the latter defines it as what it truly is: a "Firearms PURCHASER ID".

mipafox,

Question based on your experience, as I am a part time homeowner in PA,  is impossible to get a CCW permit from Pa? My primary residence is NJ.

Sorry if this has been answered before!

I don't know for sure, but I think the answer is no. For whatever that is worth :)

If you legally purchase a handgun during the time you are a resident pf PA what stops you from bringing it back to NJ and keeping it in NJ during the time of the year your are a NJ resident, so long as the handgun would be legal in NJ?

Question I've asked many times, which usually closes down discussions.

Let's say you acquired a handgun legally in PA (by whatever means, by whatever residency factors) and you got it back home in NJ. Are you legal? Would/could they ever come after you for it? If you did not incriminate yourself would they have any legal basis to confiscate it and/or arrest you?

Same question but say you got the gun illegally. Just sayin'. Are you safe once you're at home, provided you don't go down to HQ and admit you broke NJ law?

Why would you keep your NJ DL and primary residence there? Financially being a resident in PA gets you lower taxes, cheaper car insurance, option to get a LTCF, ect... If FPID is a concern why not get a non resident one for the times you are in NJ at your secondary residence.

Plus, when National reciprocity gets enacted in September, you will be able to carry in NJ using your PA LTCF.