Henry lever action

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County
  • Home Range:Cherry Ridge/ Thunder Mountain

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

New cheap fun gun. Bought this at the last minute after filling out forms for my smith and wesson (see post in handguns)

The action is nice the wood is nice and it just so fun to shoot. not a huge fan of the sights but working on getting scope mounts.

it appears uploading the pics for the wheelgun took to much of my limit more pics another day i suppose.

Attached Files

#2 Kaiser

Kaiser

Will work for 8mm ammo/Mini14/Remington 870

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • LocationThe land of Happy Farmers
  • Home Range:Bob's little sport shop

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

Tell me more about it as you use it, I heard leverguns are a pain to repair. But it's funny, the Henry repeater was what I intended to get as my first gun. I only got a bolt action last minute because I'm more familiar with them.

"GLOCK shooters to your left and right will ask you what you've got, and then they will ask if they can shoot it. Let them. Because secretly, GLOCK owners want to shoot real guns like real men do. And we should encourage that."

Join the NJ2AS, and stop the unfair treatment of NJ gun-owners.
http://www.nj2as.com/

CONSIDER TO BUYING NAGANT REVOLVER. IS WEAPON OF DEFEND PROLETARIAT AND WILL MAKE FINGER LIKE IRON AND GIVE POWER TO STRANGLE SMALL RODENT.

#3 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

so far for maintenence cleaning its easy havent field stripped the thing yet but will let yall know when i do.

#4 vjf915

vjf915
  • LocationEwing

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

Caliber? I was considering getting a lever action gun, but just couldn't find one that felt comfortable.

If I had to clean a gun my life depended on every day I'd be pissed off, you can't always do that. You should be able to kick the action open, piss in it, and close it. DONE.

+1 to you.. you have the single most important accessory ANY AR owner could ever own (myself included) and that is a backup AK..

#5 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

22 s/l/lr.

and i feel ya on the size thing my 10/22 this thing my friends savage anything small caliber i feel is kid sized lol im 6'7" and the length of pull is miiscule compared to what i need and i have found that any 22 has this issue so i looked past it.

#6 Kaiser

Kaiser

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

Caliber? I was considering getting a lever action gun, but just couldn't find one that felt comfortable.

If that is the one I saw, it's .22. I think they can take several .22 rounds, like .22LR, .22 short, etc.

I really want a Winchester '94 for my first levergun. They're just so nice, and really are the stereotypical Western carbine.

"GLOCK shooters to your left and right will ask you what you've got, and then they will ask if they can shoot it. Let them. Because secretly, GLOCK owners want to shoot real guns like real men do. And we should encourage that."

CONSIDER TO BUYING NAGANT REVOLVER. IS WEAPON OF DEFEND PROLETARIAT AND WILL MAKE FINGER LIKE IRON AND GIVE POWER TO STRANGLE SMALL RODENT.

#7 vjf915

vjf915
  • LocationEwing

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

It wasn't the size. Smaller rifles like the 10/22 don't feel too bad to me. It was the actual aiming of the rifle. I have yet to find a lever action that I wasn't seriously craning my neck down to aim. I felt a Winchester that wasn't too bad, but still wasn't ideal.

If I had to clean a gun my life depended on every day I'd be pissed off, you can't always do that. You should be able to kick the action open, piss in it, and close it. DONE.

+1 to you.. you have the single most important accessory ANY AR owner could ever own (myself included) and that is a backup AK..

#8 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

i get what you mean alittle. i find it difficult to obtain a clear sight picture easily i dislike the sights and i still am trying to figure it out how it works best for me.

#9 mcbethr

mcbethr
  • LocationCherry Hill
  • Home Range:Ft. Dix Range 14 / Firing Line Philadelphia

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

I like the idea of this, and I've considered it as a range toy, but I just can't get past the mental block of putting my hand close to the barrel to reload.

I wish they could make the. 22 version with the same loading port that the centerfire versions have, but there may be technical reasons why they can't do this.

Does it feel strange to you to point the rifle up and have your hand close to the muzzle when you reload, or am I just being unreasonably cautious?
Unless we stand as one, we are just a bunch of guys screaming at the internet.

#10 Kaiser

Kaiser

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

I like the idea of this, and I've considered it as a range toy, but I just can't get past the mental block of putting my hand close to the barrel to reload.

I wish they could make the. 22 version with the same loading port that the centerfire versions have, but there may be technical reasons why they can't do this.

Does it feel strange to you to point the rifle up and have your hand close to the muzzle when you reload, or am I just being unreasonably cautious?

I would just turn the rifle to the side, and keep the bulk of my hand away from the muzzle. But I have to agree, I never liked that style of loading, I love the loading ports, not for any safety fears, but mainly for convenience.

#11 whittle20

whittle20
  • LocationCloster, NJ 07624
  • Home Range:Tenafly Rifle & Pistol Club

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

I have a Henry Hoo1T with the hex barrel) and I can tell you it's a nice rifle. Will shoot any size or quality 22 you can put in it with no problems. Instructions say not to break it down for cleaning, just swab the barrel. Must be true, I've gone through well over 1,000 rounds without a single FTF. My only complaint is that the breech area is painted, not blued and scratches. Loading via a tube isn't a problem, just use usual caution. Look how many Marlin's, Winchester's and Remington's are out there with tube feeds. I personally haven't needed any customer service but all the discussions I've read put them as exceptional. They are made right in Bayonne. Mine come grooved for a scope so I done need that huge buckhorn V sight.It shoots as accurately as I can get and better with a better shot then me. Great rifle for the money

#12 Ray Ray

Ray Ray
  • LocationBayonne, Hudson County
  • Home Range:Bayonne Pistol Range

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

Congrats dude, Henry's are top-notch lever guns!
NJZED

#13 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

i need to go get some rings or maybe rings and another optic.

what do you guys think of a red dot on a henry lol

#14 Kaiser

Kaiser

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

i need to go get some rings or maybe rings and another optic.

what do you guys think of a red dot on a henry lol

Not a bad Idea, I have an NCstar red dot I have leftover from airsofting I think I'm going to put on my Savage MkII. But I think you may as well go for the gusto, and just buy the most outlandish accessory you can for it.

#15 MedicYeti

MedicYeti
  • LocationCape May Court House: 08210
  • Home Range:Mullica Hill Rifle and Pistol, Maurice River

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

I love my Henry Lever 22. Smooth action, good looks, easy to use, easy to clean (just a bore snake the owners manual says not to take it apart as all the internals are self cleaning. I agree about the sight, I don't mind the rear sight too much but the front post is too wide for my liking.

#16 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:44 AM

maybe an Eotech or an ACOG would fit the bill.

#17 Kaiser

Kaiser

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

maybe an Eotech or an ACOG would fit the bill.

Be sure to buy yourself some nightvision goggles, you know, for night plinking.

#18 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

Kaiser I forgot all about that thanks I need versatility in my tactical lever gun

#19 Kaiser

Kaiser

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

Kaiser I forgot all about that thanks I need versatility in my tactical lever gun

If only NJ laws weren't so strict. I think the army is issuing tactical lever guns with 203s on them to the soldiers now. (Not really)

I'd love to see someone actually do that, just put a bunch of useless crap on a lever gun. I'm pretty sure my generation will try that stuff.

#20 papercutninja

papercutninja
  • LocationIt's sort of Mercer, but it's actually Middlesex
  • Home Range:Fort Dix/Range-14, Ready Aim Fire

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

I'm tempted to buy a Henry just because it's made in Bayonne...

#21 glennp

glennp
  • Home Range:Somerset County Fish & Game in Bridgewater

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

...owners manual says not to take it apart as all the internals are self cleaning....

Last manual that had that was the m16 when it first came out in 'nam and we all know what happened to those :sarcastichand:
Silent souls leave .308 holes

#22 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:54 PM

Lol and just do it man good gun

#23 henrym

henrym
  • LocationEast Brunswick, NJ
  • Home Range:Old Bridge / Shore Shot / Range 14

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

I shot one recently and it was a really nice gun for the price. The action was really smooth and the trigger broke cleanly, im just not a fan of buckhorn sights.

GLOCK Certified Armorer
USPSA Range Officer

I think the term ergonomics was invented by a panty waisted, tender little liberal fella with tiny hands that probably smells like cabbage and shame. Run the gun, don't overthink how it feels until you shoot it a whole bunch. -- Irish Mike

#24 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

I shot one recently and it was a really nice gun for the price. The action was really smooth and the trigger broke cleanly, im just not a fan of buckhorn sights.

thats why im putting an acog on mine

#25 whittle20

whittle20
  • LocationCloster, NJ 07624
  • Home Range:Tenafly Rifle & Pistol Club

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

If only NJ laws weren't so strict. I think the army is issuing tactical lever guns with 203s on them to the soldiers now. (Not really)

I'd love to see someone actually do that, just put a bunch of useless crap on a lever gun. I'm pretty sure my generation will try that stuff.

That's a 50 cal lever gun, one shot and it's self cleaning.

#26 Col. Mortimer

Col. Mortimer
  • LocationBeverly Crest, Charlotte, NC
  • Home Range:Firepower, Mathews, NC

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

What do you guys think of a red dot on a henry lol

Bonanza meets Star Trek. How about a tang sight? Here's a photo of mine.

Posted Image

#27 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:23 AM

Got scope rings today heading to range

#28 Ray Ray

Ray Ray
  • LocationBayonne, Hudson County
  • Home Range:Bayonne Pistol Range

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

Got scope rings today heading to range

Pics of this tactical lever gun!
NJZED

#29 MedicYeti

MedicYeti
  • LocationCape May Court House: 08210
  • Home Range:Mullica Hill Rifle and Pistol, Maurice River

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

Col. Mortimer. Did you change the front sight or just add the tang sight? I think I'm going to do a tang on mine but I don't like the 2x4 on the front so I'm looking for options.
Thanks.

#30 Mr.Shoot_It_All

Mr.Shoot_It_All
  • LocationBergen County

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

its a work in progress got the scope rights but the only scope i have is too big to clear the sights so solution is buy new scope for it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users