pepsi71ocean

Legal Status of AIM Yugo SKS's

So i picked up one of those SKS's from AIM, this one here

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3YugoSKS&name=Yugoslavian+SKS+7.62x39+Rifle&groupid=254

I received it today, and it doesn't appear to be detachable, am i completely legal?

The guy at the shop said that if it is not legal then the staties will be around to pick it up.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24378-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-rifle-legal-in-nj/

NJ has a listing of guns they specifically prohibit under NJ law, they additionally have laws regarding guns they consider substantially identical. The following is a generally accepted criteria by which a semi automatic rifle is legal or illegal in NJ..

1) Is the gun that you want to buy banned by name?

yes - it is illegal and you may not have..

no - proceed to question 2

Algimec AGM1 type

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

Armalite AR-180 type

Australian Automatic Arms SAR

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900

CETME G3

Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type

Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types

Demro TAC-1 carbine type

Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types

FAMAS MAS223 types

FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms

Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns

G3SA type

Galil type

Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1

Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms

M1 carbine type

M14S type

MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9 mm carbine type firearms

PJK M-68 carbine type

Plainfield Machine Company Carbine

Ruger K-Mini-14/5 F and Mini-14/5 RF

SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types

SKS with detachable magazine type

Spectre Auto carbine type

Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type

Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types

Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms

USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun

Uzi type semi-automatic firearms

Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk;

2) Is the gun substantially identical as defined by law?

yes - it is illegal and you may not have

no - gun is legal and you may have..

2. Any firearm manufactured under any designation, which is substantially identical to any of the

firearms listed in paragraph 1 above. As used in this definition, the term "substantial" means

pertaining to the substance, matter, material or essence of a thing and the term "identical" means

exactly the same. Hence, a firearm is substantially identical to another only if it is identical in all

material, essential respects. A firearm is not substantially identical to a listed assault firearm unless

it is identical except for differences that do not alter the essential nature of the firearm.

The following are examples of manufacturer changes that do not alter the essential nature of the

firearm: the name or designation of the firearm; the color of the firearm; the material used to make

the barrel or stock of the firearm; the material used to make a pistol grip; and a modification of a

pistol grip. This is not an exclusive list. A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be

"substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it

meets the below listed criteria:

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least

two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash

suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher;

gun may not have magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds...

gun must meet minimum requirements for length...

You are good as is. Just don't take off the hinged mag from the bottom and put on one of those hinged detachable mags they sell for SKS'. THAT would be illegal. Current form is good.

I don't know how they let us get away with that scary bayonet on the SKS. It could start a wave of drive by bayonettings in Camden and Newark. Ban 'em. :)

From what i can tell the magazine can't be removed, and thus be fixed it would be legal, but im not 100% sure, so i was wondering if other people have bought them could give me some ideas.

if it is not EXACTLY listed..

and it is not substantially identical as defined by law..

then it is legal..

you SHOULD be able to apply that logic to ANY NJ firearms issue (for future reference)

So i picked up one of those SKS's from AIM, this one here

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3YugoSKS&name=Yugoslavian+SKS+7.62x39+Rifle&groupid=254

I received it today, and it doesn't appear to be detachable, am i completely legal?

The guy at the shop said that if it is not legal then the staties will be around to pick it up.

I was looking to pick one of these up as well, what sort of shape are they in? can you post some pictures.

-Alec

yes it is legal, i have a romanian and one chinese all matching #s...

those yugos they have are very nice.. thats a good buy with new barrells make sure you clean it good after firing yugos do not have a chromed barrel...although being from the seventies i would check to see if it is chromed they may have had the capabilities by then but not sure..

Almost as a rule, Yugo guns don't have chromed barrels. Apparently Yugoslavia did not have the mineral resources of the other Soviet Bloc countries that manufactured guns.

The only down side to Yugo SKS is that mammoth grenade launcher on the end. It makes the gun longer and heavier than it needs to be. On the plus side, the Yugo SKS is solid as hell and overbuilt. It really all depends on what you want.

I prefer Chinese and Russian. I don't have experience with SKS from any other country.

The Yugos have funny looking barrel tips. This one does look different than other Yugos i've seen, but still not like the usual SKS barrel. If you go to the Wikipedia entry for SKS you will see they are a bit longer than others.

I was looking to pick one of these up as well, what sort of shape are they in? can you post some pictures.

-Alec

Mine looks just like the pictured one, the barrel was bright and clean, and the whole rifle got a bath of cosmo.

I will post up pictures in a day or so.

I decided since this rifle is so clean and (for all i know looks like it was made last year) that i won't be firing any corrosive surplus through it.

I leave corrosive for my collection of bolt guns, well just my Yugo M-48 that is, i don't touch the GI 98K, but i also shoot NC through that and the other German i have.

The pictured one in the ad is an M59/66, may be an A1. The Grenade launcher has been removed, note the collar is still there and the gas shutoff valve. I have a Yugo with GL,, I may remove it one day, but have got used to it. As Chris says, the Yugos are built quite heavily, they will probably outlast most of us on this forum :)