only dealers can break administrative code... it is the code by which firearm dealers are regulated..

2c is criminal law..

technically... that is my understanding..

So do the police follow the adminstartive code or the 2c law? Why doe the State police have, the way I see it, misinformation on their web site?

So do the police follow the adminstartive code or the 2c law? Why doe the State police have, the way I see it, misinformation on their web site?

because they like to mislead the public and provide whatever info they feel.. they provide the info that scares you the mot into compliance.. that is unfortunately my honest answer..

but YOU can not be charged with admin code violation.. it is a guideline for dealers..

I had an LEO try to tell me once that it was illegal for me to keep a loaded firearm in my house (I told him when I'm home my guns are loaded). He actually insisted I was wrong. I laughed it off as I didn't have access to this site at the time (it was before i joined).

My point...just because someone is an LEO doesn't mean they knows the laws.

I hate the 15 rounbd rule...I always seem to find 16 rounders for my XD :(

Our range master Insists on telling our people that it's a state law that firearms have to be "Inacessible, and Inoperative" when stored..I pointed out several times that he can make that a requirement for our Department-owned firearms, but there is NO such provision in 2C..he Still teaches this, and i still tell the new kids the actual laws.

Our range master Insists on telling our people that it's a state law that firearms have to be "Inacessible, and Inoperative" when stored..I pointed out several times that he can make that a requirement for our Department-owned firearms, but there is NO such provision in 2C..he Still teaches this, and i still tell the new kids the actual laws.

that is a much bigger issue than he realizes..

So your range master thinks I can't keep a handgun ready to go in a safe under my bed? Methink he's wrong on that.

If I can't verify a piece of information through three different sources, I take it with a grain of salt.

You might want to add, internet message board, to that list. If you want to know the absoute right answer, go to the State statutes. I read more BS or just plain wrong stuff on all kinds of these boards.

So your range master thinks I can't keep a handgun ready to go in a safe under my bed? Methink he's wrong on that.

OUR Peope can't..at least not their departmental-issued firearm..he used to try to insist that it was in 2C..until i finally went to the chief about it.

What is the current (July 2011) maximum capacity for magazines in, NJ?

The firearm I am most likely to purchase in the near future has the option of either 10 rd or 12 rd magazines. I have read the NRA summary of NJ Firearm Laws, the actual legislation, and numerous posts on this and other forums regarding this answer. I have concluded that in NJ any handgun or semi-auto rifle can have a maximum magazine capacity of 15.

Here's where things get interesting, I have 2 buddies at work, who know LEOs and upon questioning the law being 10 rd or 15 rd capacity, my buddies texted the two LEOs. Both stated (via txt message) that the maximum capacity is 10 rds.

Is this just the LEOs trying to push lower capacity mags to the layman or has the bill I read about HERE been passed.

Also correct me if Im wrong but wouldn't an FFL know the law exactly and refuse to sell a firearm that has 2 x 12 rd magazines?

thanks! J

The current limit is 15 rnds. There was a bill (A3807) proposed by Assemblyman Louis Greewald and Assemblywoman Annette Quijano last year that would reduce magazine capacity to 10 rnds but I believe that it never went anywhere. They'll most likely try again not too far dow the road.

Question: a friend of mine is going to be moving to NJ for work soon, and has 30 rounders. Can he simply block the mags out to 15 with plastic or something and still be considered to be NJ legal? I mean, if the AC only applies to dealers/stores here in the state in regards to the permanence of the 15-roundness, then that can work, right?

IMO, placing a block inside the mag body that is easily removed by removing the mag baseplate is insufficient. I would do something slightly more permanent, just so that any 'interested parties' would be unable to unblock the mag without tools.

IMO, placing a block inside the mag body that is easily removed by removing the mag baseplate is insufficient. I would do something slightly more permanent, just so that any 'interested parties' would be unable to unblock the mag without tools.

But don't you need a tool just to open up the mag in the first place?

Agreed. There was a huge debate about this a couple/few months ago and I think it was concluded that this is the best bet.

IMO, a round of ammo does not constitute a tool. Are these 30rd pmags? I'd drill a hole near the edge of the mag(so as to block the follower without getting in the way of the spring), insert a roll pin, and epoxy it in place.

What tool? The baseplates pop off on all mags. Put it this way, if the manual of the gun says the baseplate is removeable, sticking a block in there and closing it shut is not "permanently modified"

This is why vendors like Pk90 and Midwest PX put the blocks in there, then pin the baseplate shut. I would use that as the default.

What tool? The baseplates pop off on all mags. Put it this way, if the manual of the gun says the baseplate is removeable, sticking a block in there and closing it shut is not "permanently modified"

This is why vendors like Pk90 and Midwest PX put the blocks in there, then pin the baseplate shut. I would use that as the default.

Vendors need to comply with the Administrative Code, so pinning the baseplate on is a must. Someone who is not blocking mags for resale, IMO, does not need to go to that level.

• Like 1

I can't open any of my G19 mags without a tool... or my 10 round AR mags... they don't just 'pop' off.

As for the vendors, don't they have to permanently mod their mags by virtue of the Admin Code?

IMO, a round of ammo does not constitute a tool. Are these 30rd pmags? I'd drill a hole near the edge of the mag(so as to block the follower without getting in the way of the spring), insert a roll pin, and epoxy it in place.

Vendors need to comply with the Administrative Code, so pinning the baseplate on is a must. Someone who is not blocking mags for resale, IMO, does not need to go to that level.

Wait... so which is it? Only vendors need to permanently mod the mag, or all mags need to be permanently modded?

I can't open any of my G19 mags without a tool... or my 10 round AR mags... they don't just 'pop' off.

As for the vendors, don't they have to permanently mod their mags by virtue of the Admin Code?

20 round pmags, 1911 mags, CZ mags, all easily removable, if any tool, just a key would work.

Glock mags are a bit more of a challenge.... will give you that.

Wait... so which is it? Only vendors need to permanently mod the mag, or all mags need to be permanently modded?

I'm not talking permanent, I'm talking enough of a block that cannot be removed through standard maintenance procedures.

I'm not talking permanent, I'm talking enough of a block that cannot be removed through standard maintenance procedures.

Why does that matter though? If the mag is disassembled, then it's not longer a mag. Plus, how can one do maintenance if the follower cannot be removed?

20 round pmags, 1911 mags, CZ mags, all easily removable, if any tool, just a key would work.

Glock mags are a bit more of a challenge.... will give you that.

You're telling me. Those bitches are a **** in a **** boat to take apart without the proper tools.

If the mag is disassembled, then it's not longer a mag.

That depends on how you interpret NJ's definition of what constitutes a magazine. This comes up every time someone asks whether "rebuild kits" are legal in NJ. Some people say yes - some people say no.

Why does that matter though? If the mag is disassembled, then it's not longer a mag. Plus, how can one do maintenance if the follower cannot be removed?

I gave you my personal opinion. Do what you want, but if you get jammed up, don't cry about it here.

"Permanently Altered" is the proper terminology that should be debated. The LAW mentions nothing regarding pinning or blocking. The ADMIN CODE says temporary blocking is not allowed and it must be permanently altered. It is up to the owner how far they wish to go when restricting their magazine to hold no more than 15 rounds. I just hope we don't read in the news about a NJGF member possessing hi-cap magazines.

"Permanently Altered" is the proper terminology that should be debated. The LAW mentions nothing regarding pinning or blocking. The ADMIN CODE says temporary blocking is not allowed and it must be permanently altered. It is up to the owner how far they wish to go when restricting their magazine to hold no more than 15 rounds. I just hope we don't read in the news about a NJGF member possessing hi-cap magazines.

Wait a second... so the law says that the max cap is 15 rounds. Earlier in this thread, folks said you could drop a 'limiter rod' in a Marlin Model 60 and be okay. But the AC says it has to be permanently altered... but then again the AC only applies to firearms dealers, correct?

I'm getting confused...

Wait a second... so the law says that the max cap is 15 rounds. Earlier in this thread, folks said you could drop a 'limiter rod' in a Marlin Model 60 and be okay. But the AC says it has to be permanently altered... but then again the AC only applies to firearms dealers, correct?

I'm getting confused...

15-round magazine maximum capacity in a semi-automatic firearm (pistol and rifle). In the case of a non-semi-automatic firearm (pistol and rifle), if the magazine is capabile of being used in both a semi-auto and non-semi-auto, it's also maxed at 15-rounds to be NJ legal. I'm 99.9% sure I got that correct.