Sign in to follow this  
david8613

how does one go about becoming an armed guard?

It depends on the company, First you need SORA Training regardless who you work for,Its required in order to be a security officer.Most companies looking for armed guards will send you for the training to be armed.If your just starting your best bet is to find a decent firm that will take you on from the start and train you. Pays not as great as firms looking for officers already trained but its easier to get all the training and you have job placement.

thanks for the quick responses, what's the pay like these days?

You can seek employment with an Armored Car company without a SORA. Most of them do not require you to get a SORA as you are actually a transportation employee and the gun is for self protection. All you need is a DOT card, which the company sends you for (a physical) and the carry permit they help you obtain as well.

As far as pay, most of them start in the neighborhood of $11 an hour or so. It's back breaking work, think of being a UPS man, but people want to kill you. Also, you will come to despise whoever the hell thought it would be a good idea to have you climbing in and out of a truck all day carrying packages while wearing a shirt and tie. And you will never forget how heavy bricks of coins are.

Personally, you're better off just looking at retail jobs. The pay is fairly similar and you don't have to worry about carrying a duffel bag with a quarter million dollars in it to a check casher in Newark.

thanks for the quick responses, what's the pay like these days?

the last time i checked, regular unarmed security jobs paid between $9-11/ hr and armed was from $17-19 /hr. I orginally got my SORA certification from Gun For Hire. When i inquired about going for the armed security certification, i realized i would have to fork out around $2500 to get certified in firearms. Since i paid for my own SORA certification, i didn't think it was worth it to finance the rest of the class myself. My suggestion is to try to apply with the security company that works with GFH. I believe that company does the security at Newark Airport. You can also try for the ones with the brown uniforms shooting at the bullet hole ( i think it's loomis security). If they can get issued a license to carry with the way they shoot, i'm pretty sure you'll have no problem getting one. :icon_mrgreen:

You can also try for the ones with the brown uniforms shooting at the bullet hole ( i think it's loomis security). If they can get issued a license to carry with the way they shoot, i'm pretty sure you'll have no problem getting one.

you crack me up! lol!

However, if you're "on call" 24x7 then you can

is this true, it would be good if it was...

i thought the pay would be alot better considering how much security is needed everywhere?

However, if you're "on call" 24x7 then you can

is this true, it would be good if it was...

i thought the pay would be alot better considering how much security is needed everywhere?

That's what I was told by an acquaintance who is a guard... and has a permit.