Eastwood

Question about guns and RV's/travel trailers

This might be a dumb question, but I was wondering, if where to go camping in say, PA, and I put my shotgun in my travel trailer or RV, unloaded of course, do you think there would be a problem with that legally? Maybe I watch too many horror movies, but I hate being out in the woods with zero protection. I know taking hand guns thru different states can be a problem, but I'm not sure the same really goes for long guns. Does anyone have any useful info on this? BTW, the gun would be locked up and safely put away.

I have been surfing around the web looking into this and it seems most states wont bother you if you have a shotgun. (with the exception of NJ of course) Still, I would like to know for sure before I do it.

Still, I would like to know for sure before I do it.

:laugh: You will NEVER know for sure asking on this forum. Some will say legal, some will say not. You must read the law and interpret it yourself. Oh, I agree with the above.

didn't see just have something aboiut carrying on your property etc and didn't it include the home needed to not be mobile?

Another one of NJ's vague laws - should we be surprised? As for PA, I know you need a carry license to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle, where RV's fall under I couldn't guess. I suppose you could transport it over there unloaded and cased and then open carry it if you don't have a LTCF.

I am under the impression that it is fine- My Pop got himself a camp site / travel trailer last year because he was bored one day and sort of bought it- I wound up getting him a Zastava PAP for his 60th bday with the idea it would be for his mountain place.

Now I called the PA state police and they pretty much said the same stuff NJ's do, "We can't offer you legal opinions etc" but generally if you're real nice to people, they're nice back. So I explained exactly the situation and I got generally a "As long as you're obeying the laws you're fine.."

Because I also wanted to know about PA Open Carry when I'm there and whoever said it above is right- you can't have it in the car unless you have the CCW permit BUT if you have it properly stored in your car, theoretically when you cross state lines, and get somewhere, you can pull over and take your gun out and wear it open carry. Just can't open carry it in the car.

So I would say the travel trailer / campsite is fine, I go under that belief for our own use, but I'm of course not 10000% the law.

Because I also wanted to know about PA Open Carry when I'm there and whoever said it above is right- you can't have it in the car unless you have the CCW permit BUT if you have it properly stored in your car, theoretically when you cross state lines, and get somewhere, you can pull over and take your gun out and wear it open carry. Just can't open carry it in the car.

Incorrect. PA has similar to/from restrictions without a permit as NJ. You can't just drive around with it in your car...even unloaded.

you can drive around with an unloaded long gun in a vehicle in NJ with an FPID, no destination required.

Do you have proof of this???

And BTW, I'm not talking at all about handguns of any kinds, I'm only talking about longguns. Shotguns in particular.

While traveling through a state, keeping the gun locked and separate from ammo per FOPA requirements for its protection. If you are staying in a state, you better brush up on that particular state's gun laws.. as they will then kick in and apply as FOPA stops protecting you when you are at your "destination". I also recommend getting a non-resident CCW (Florida and Utah are popular) permit in case you want to bring a HG with you, plus it wouldn't hurt to have in any situation. In reciprocity states it may even extend privileges to long guns while traveling. Check out the USA carry website for legalities at your destination states...http://www.usacarry.com/ they explain those states gun laws in general.. not just around CC.

Have fun!

Do you have proof of this???

And BTW, I'm not talking at all about handguns of any kinds, I'm only talking about longguns. Shotguns in particular.

A Firearms Purchaser ID allows you to have an unloaded long arm anywhere it is not prohibited. This protects _POSSESSION_ only. It does not prevent a cop from charging you with any of the other myriad of laws they can swat you with.

The Firearms Purchaser ID used to be called "Firearms Purchase and Carry ID"(exact wording may be different, I don't have an old card). Some people probably got confused thinking they could carry a handgun so they dropped the carry part of it.

you can drive around with an unloaded long gun in a vehicle in NJ with an FPID, no destination required.

I was referring to Scrap's comment about open carry...I assumed he was referring to pistol.

While traveling through a state, keeping the gun locked and separate from ammo per FOPA requirements for its protection. If you are staying in a state, you better brush up on that particular state's gun laws.. as they will then kick in and apply as FOPA stops protecting you when you are at your "destination". I also recommend getting a non-resident CCW (Florida and Utah are popular) permit in case you want to bring a HG with you, plus it wouldn't hurt to have in any situation. In reciprocity states it may even extend privileges to long guns while traveling. Check out the USA carry website for legalities at your destination states...http://www.usacarry.com/ they explain those states gun laws in general.. not just around CC.

Have fun!

Just wanted to point out...FOPA does not have a "separation" requirement.

A Firearms Purchaser ID allows you to have an unloaded long arm anywhere it is not prohibited. This protects _POSSESSION_ only. It does not prevent a cop from charging you with any of the other myriad of laws they can swat you with.

The Firearms Purchaser ID used to be called "Firearms Purchase and Carry ID"(exact wording may be different, I don't have an old card). Some people probably got confused thinking they could carry a handgun so they dropped the carry part of it.

My card issued 1/79 reads "State of New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card"

My card issued 1/79 reads "State of New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card"

Other folks have cards that say Carry on them. Some of them post here at NJGF. I cannot explain why it would have changed to add carry, then remove it.

While you are traveling, the RV or trailer is considered your vehicle because it is mobile, and can be quickly moved. After you set up your RV or trailer to do some camping, it is then considered your "home". By what you have described, traveling with it unloaded and locked up, I see no problem. I am not a lawyer. This is simply the standard that they use for issuing warrants, as far as I understand it....so I am applying that logic to here.