TheWombat

Secaucus FID & PP for non-citizen?

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks since I took a visit to Sunset Hill Shooting Range in PA. My wife and I live in Secaucus, NJ. Having spent a few hours at Sunset Hill my wife likes the Glock 19 and 17, while I'm still waiting to try a few rounds on a SIG P226. We're looking to apply for our FID and pistol permits however I have a few questions. We are both booked to take our NRA Basic Pistol this month :-)

Background

We have been in the USA for 20 months (relocation from Australia due to a company re-organization. I'm on an L1 visa and am part way through the Green Card process) however this will take a few more months to complete. We are both > 35 years old, have no criminal record and have not had any mental health or other issues.

Questions:

1) Are we likely to encounter issues with the FID and PP due to not being a Citizen or having a Green Card? Is it better to wait a few months to get the Green Card and then a few more months to get the FID/PP?

2) Does anyone have any experience of the Secaucus PD FID process, i.e. how friendly they are? I've done a search of the forum however haven't found any specific posts?

3) As my wife does not work, is there any benefit in just one of us applying (e.g. me) for 2 pistol permits rather than us both applying in case there is a rejection which then goes on file?

4) For the NJ Gun Ranges that do gun rental - are there any requirements you must meet in order to rent a gun (e.g. FID?) or could we just 'walk in' rent a Glock 19 and SIG P226 and then shoot at the range?

Any help appreciated. While we like Sunset Hill it is a 90 minute drive and is proving a little expensive if we go every week.

thanks

Alex

1) Are we likely to encounter issues with the FID and PP due to not being a Citizen or having a Green Card? There are some members here who have a work visa and have gotten their FPID and permits. Is it better to wait a few months to get the Green Card and then a few more months to get the FID/PP? AFAIK, there should not be an additional blocks by applying now.

2) Does anyone have any experience of the Secaucus PD FID process, i.e. how friendly they are? No I've done a search of the forum however haven't found any specific posts? .

3) As my wife does not work, is there any benefit in just one of us applying (e.g. me) for 2 pistol permits rather than us both applying in case there is a rejection which then goes on file? Employment is not a requirement for a FPID or permits.

4) For the NJ Gun Ranges that do gun rental - are there any requirements you must meet in order to rent a gun (e.g. FID?) There should be. or could we just 'walk in' rent a Glock 19 and SIG P226 and then shoot at the range? Depends on range.

Hello,

Went through this a few years back as i was in the same situation.

Questions:

1) Are we likely to encounter issues with the FID and PP due to not being a Citizen or having a Green Card?

When you get the Permanent Resident Card it should be easyer to get an FID. I think on a work visa you can get it but the process is harder as you must satisfy some extra requirements related to posession of a hunting license i believe. Not really familiar with what they exactly are for a resident (not permanent resident). I personally did nto encounter any issues other than the normal procedure.

Is it better to wait a few months to get the Green Card and then a few more months to get the FID/PP? You can apply as soon as you have the card. But the Alien Nr has to be linked with the adjustment from L to Green Card in the system and i think that it takes a few days or a week.

2) Does anyone have any experience of the Secaucus PD FID process, i.e. how friendly they are? I've done a search of the forum however haven't found any specific posts?

I have read somewhere on another forum that they take longer than usual but you ll do your part to remind them that they can`t take forever to give you an FID.

3) As my wife does not work, is there any benefit in just one of us applying (e.g. me) for 2 pistol permits rather than us both applying in case there is a rejection which then goes on file?

Both of you should apply , she should not be rejected due to the fact that she is not employed.

4) For the NJ Gun Ranges that do gun rental - are there any requirements you must meet in order to rent a gun (e.g. FID?) or could we just 'walk in' rent a Glock 19 and SIG P226 and then shoot at the range? No FID was required at a few places i ve rented.

Any help appreciated. While we like Sunset Hill it is a 90 minute drive and is proving a little expensive if we go every week. I suggest you come to a meetup.

thanks

Alex

G'Day Wombat- nice to see another Aussie on the forum.

While on my H1B visa (pre green card) I was able to get my FID and multiple PPs. It was no problem at all, I just needed to show my passport and visa details to the PD. It took a little longer for the backround checks, but all went through no problem. There was no needfor any hunting permits, etc.

I haven't dealt with Secaucus PD but the Hudson county PD I went through could not have been nicer or more helpful.

When you go to pick up your firearm from the store, you will need your passport, visa and the alien#. You will also need to have 3 months worth of utility bills (including the most recent bill) showing your name and current address. This needs to be the same address as on your FID.

Cheers!

Btw - if you and your wife would like to come down to Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol club one weekend let me know and I'll take you both in as guests. It's about 75 minutes south from you and a great range. You're welcome to use my handguns, rifles and shotguns. It's always fun to try different firearms, particularly while still in the shopping phase.

Cheers!

Not to sound rude and nothing against the OP but it is of my opnion that if you are not a citizen of this country you should NOT be able to have a firearm.

Interesting. Do your proposed Constitution restrictions extend to other rights, or is it just the Second amendment?

• Like 4

Not to sound rude and nothing against the OP but it is of my opnion that if you are not a citizen of this country you should NOT be able to have a firearm.

If someone is here LEGALLY and contributing to our society and economy, then I welcome them to share in the rights and privileges our country has to offer, including firearm ownership. If they are here ILLEGALLY, they don't deserve a blessed thing and shouldn't let the door hit them on the way out.

• Like 9

Wombat / Leth:

We're not all xenophobes here (heck, that's as hard to spell as Lautenberg :icon_rolleyes: ). After Oz, NJ must seem like freedom, when it comes to handguns. Enjoy your stay and partake in our freedoms - at least those which the NJ politicos allow us.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

You have the right to your own opinion and i won`t debate it.

But also tell me what your opinion is about the opinion of many elected representatives in the government who think that citizens should NOT be able to have a firearm.

• Like 1

Any help appreciated. While we like Sunset Hill it is a 90 minute drive and is proving a little expensive if we go every week.

thanks

Alex

Alex,

You re welcome with your wife to be my guest at EFGA in Easton,PA. and shoot my stuff untill you get your own.

75min from Secaucus any Friday,Sat or Sunday.

www.efga.net

Wow, what kind of Xenophobic hole did you crawl out of?

Despite "Not trying to sound rude", you were in fact rude and you in fact do have an issue with the original poster.

Are there other rights in the Bill of Rights you wish to deny legal aliens? The pesky first one is a nice juicy target, may as well start there eh?

• Like 2

And to the original poster, if you'd like to come up to Cherry Ridge one of these weekends(Roughly 50 minutes from Secaucus), I'll guest one of you in and i'm sure we can get someone else for the spouse. August is bad for me though, I think I'm booked out for stuff until September.

Thanks Pizza Bob, lunker, Damjan Blues and Malsua for your comments. I agree; if someone is here legally, is paying taxes and meets all other legal requirements for firearm ownership I don't think there should be any additional barriers.

This was one of the (many) reasons I chose America to move to.

<br />And to the original poster, if you'd like to come up to Cherry Ridge one of these weekends(Roughly 50 minutes from Secaucus), I'll guest one of you in and i'm sure we can get someone else for the spouse.  August is bad for me though, I think I'm booked out for stuff until September.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I can guest the other person, let me know.

As for Jared (sighewa) is good to know where you stand...

Quick question for sighewa, I served 6 years in the US Army before becoming a US Citizen, are you saying I should have served without any firearms?

• Like 2

1 minute off exit 89 on the Parkway.

Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol club ... It's about 75 minutes south from you

Sunset Hill it is a 90 minute drive

EFGA in Easton,PA. ....

75min from Secaucus any Friday,Sat or Sunday.

www.efga.net

Cherry Ridge one of these weekends(Roughly 50 minutes from Secaucus),

Wholy cow...are there any ranges IN Secaucus? :blink:

Thank you (almost :onthequiet: ) everyone for such a warm welcome - I am touched! I'll take the advice and pop down the local PD to see what they say about the FID.

My wife and I are busy for the next couple of weekends however we will definitely be in touch to take up the offers for going to the shooting ranges and trying some handguns/rifles.

Once again - thank you - you have made us feel very welcome to this country. We had reservations about relocating the family to the other side of the world however I can honestly say that the responses today have been one of the biggest (positive) surprises of the 20 months we have been in the US. :party:

thank you

TheWombat aka Alex

• Like 1

First off

The OP even said that he was PRE-GREEN CARD so if you are all ok with even a pre-green card person taking up arms than so be it. I do not.

Having a green card and being a legal resident alien are 2 different things and unless something has changed legal resident aliens are allowed the rights of the 2nd amendment.

Harry

I go to the bullet hole which is about 10-15 minutes from secaucus they don't rent though. If you'd like we could work something out and I could meet you there for a little range time. I only own a Springfield xd9 and a mossberg 590 (wish i had the $ to finish my AR build) so you wouldn't get to shoot a big variety of firearms.

I go to the bullet hole which is about 10-15 minutes from secaucus they don't rent though. If you'd like we could work something out and I could meet you there for a little range time. I only own a Springfield xd9 and a mossberg 590 (wish i had the $ to finish my AR build) so you wouldn't get to shoot a big variety of firearms.

Thank you! I tried the Springfield XD-9 at Sunset Hill last weekend and really liked it! We may be in touch!

The Glock 17/19/21 felt good as well. The handgun I struggled with the most was the Beretta 9mm, where my wife totally out shot me! :triniti:

TheWombat aka Alex

post-3619-0-66784500-1312935860_thumb.jpg

First off

I think you all took this the wrong way....

I simply believe that some things should happen in a certain order, especially owning a firearm. Not that this pertains to the original poster, but there are plent of people who are in our county legally and illegally that are not here for the right reasons. I am sure many are here for the right reasons but it only takes one bad apple. And how would they be different from our domestic bad apples? Most legal immigrants are screened for criminality before being admitted to our country.

I believe that once a person goes through the process of becoming a citizen then they should be granted this right...PERIOD

The OP even said that he was PRE-GREEN CARD so if you are all ok with even a pre-green card person taking up arms than so be it. I do not.Why not? they have to go though the same backround checks as we do, if not more stringent. Are you worried about non citizens taking up arms and overthrowing our government?

As for Aguilar64 all I can do is praise you for serving our country, but before you were able to enlist, you did have a green card and had residency in the US.No, IIRC you can enlist from other countries, you can then obtain citizenship when you complete your service.

As for Aguilar64 all I can do is praise you for serving our country, but before you were able to enlist, you did have a green card and had residency in the US.

No, I did not have a Green Card, they were not being issued anymore, I was a permanent resident so I was issued a "Resident Alien" card. :yes:

And here is the ATF online section about non immigrant aliens and possession and purchase of firearms. People can believe , agree and disagree if a firearm should be available to non citizens, non immigrant aliens or aliens from Mars but also do not forget that there are also some people who believe that none of us on this forum should have a firearm citizen or not.

http://www.atf.gov/f...rant-possession

Q: May nonimmigrant aliens legally in the United States purchase or possess firearms and ammunition while in the United States?Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms and ammunition in the United States.

There are exceptions to this general prohibition. The exceptions are as follows:

• nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid (unexpired) hunting license or permit lawfully issued by a State in the United States;
  • nonimmigrant aliens entering the United States to participate in a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports or hunting trade show sponsored by a national, State, or local firearms trade organization devoted to the collection, competitive use or other sporting use of firearms;
  • certain diplomats, if the firearms are for official duties;
  • officials of foreign governments, if the firearms are for official duties, or distinguished foreign visitors so designated by the U.S. State Department;
  • foreign law enforcement officers of friendly foreign governments entering the United States on official law enforcement business; and
  • persons who have received a waiver from the prohibition from the U.S. Attorney General.

Significantly, even if a nonimmigrant alien falls within one of these exceptions, the nonimmigrant alien cannot purchase a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) unless he or she (1) has an alien number or admission number from the Department of Homeland Security (formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service) and (2) can provide the FFL with documentation showing that he or she has resided in a State within the United States for 90 consecutive days immediately prior to the firearms transaction.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(b) and 922(y), 27 CFR 478.124, ATF Rul. 2004-1]

Q: What is an alien number or admission number?These are 2 different types of numbers. An admission number is the number on an INS Form I-94 or INS Form I-94W, the arrival/departure form Customs and Border Protection (CBP) gives most nonimmigrant aliens when they arrive in the U.S. While most nonimmigrant aliens will automatically receive an admission number when they enter the U.S., Canadians will not. However, if a Canadian asks a CBP official for an admission number when he/she enters the United States, he/she will be given an admission number. Most nonimmigrant aliens will not have an alien number. An alien number is a Department of Homeland Security file number. It is issued in a variety of limited situations, such as to nonimmigrant aliens with employment authorization documents.

• Like 1

First off

I think you all took this the wrong way....

I simply believe that some things should happen in a certain order, especially owning a firearm. Not that this pertains to the original poster, but there are plent of people who are in our county legally and illegally that are not here for the right reasons. I am sure many are here for the right reasons but it only takes one bad apple.

I believe that once a person goes through the process of becoming a citizen then they should be granted this right...PERIOD

The OP even said that he was PRE-GREEN CARD so if you are all ok with even a pre-green card person taking up arms than so be it. I do not.

As for Aguilar64 all I can do is praise you for serving our country, but before you were able to enlist, you did have a green card and had residency in the US.

Can you please tell me that those "right reasons" are? I came here legally and am now a citizen, but now I'm not sure if I was here for the "right reasons". Should I reapply?

I had a present in the mail box today when I arrived home... My Green Card.. So I am now a permanent resident. I'll be heading down to Secaucus PD to apply for my FID next week.

:good::rofl::party::smoke:

TheWombat

Congratulations.

Now.............as soon as possible........go to Liberty State Park take the ferry to Ellis Island and go to the Statue of Liberty.

Trust me .........it will feel different then the last time you went smile.gif

• Like 1