Rob0115

Private Party F2F Pistol Purchase

OK--because we live in NJ I want to make sure I get this right. I've read here on the forum and it seems that when I meet up with the seller of the pistol I should see proof of ownership and since that's NJ it would be the portion of the permit that he kept (pink one?). I then need to provide him with my P2P, fill in whatever is necessary and provide each of us and the state police with the appropriate copies. Lastly we need two signed copies of this form http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf (State of NJ Certificate of Eligibility) that I guess we both keep one for our records.

If that is correct I have a couple of other questions:

1) Is that it?

2) When I purchase at the store they check with the SP and wait for a phone call, does the seller need to do that?

3) Does the 30 day rule on firearms include long guns? E.g. if I bought a long gun two days ago but haven't bought a pistol in a year is it OK or do I need to wait 28 more days because of the rifle purchase?

Thanks,

Rob

The 30 day rule is handguns ONLY. You could purchase a hundred shotguns and rifles in one day or over several days, but if you purchase a handgun, you'll need to wait 30 days after the purchase before you can purchase another.

OK--because we live in NJ I want to make sure I get this right. I've read here on the forum and it seems that when I meet up with the seller of the pistol I should see proof of ownership and since that's NJ it would be the portion of the permit that he kept (pink one?). I then need to provide him with my P2P, fill in whatever is necessary and provide each of us and the state police with the appropriate copies. Lastly we need two signed copies of this form http://www.state.nj....arms/sp-634.pdf (State of NJ Certificate of Eligibility) that I guess we both keep one for our records.

If that is correct I have a couple of other questions:

1) Is that it?

2) When I purchase at the store they check with the SP and wait for a phone call, does the seller need to do that?

3) Does the 30 day rule on firearms include long guns? E.g. if I bought a long gun two days ago but haven't bought a pistol in a year is it OK or do I need to wait 28 more days because of the rifle purchase?

Thanks,

Rob

# 1: I'll actually wait for someone else to chime in who knows for sure, but it does have something to it.

#2 NO

#3 NO, Long Guns including Shotty's are not part of the OGAM, Pistols only.

See sticky...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9657-firearm-purchasing-requirements-as-it-applies-to-nj-resident/

If both NJ Residents, then 1A(2) applies.

No COE or NICS needed.

OGAM is handguns only

That is all

OK--because we live in NJ I want to make sure I get this right. I've read here on the forum and it seems that when I meet up with the seller of the pistol I should see proof of ownership and since that's NJ it would be the portion of the permit that he kept (pink one?).

I'm pretty sure proof of ownership isn't required either - if it was inherited or owned prior to moving to NJ, there might not be any.

Also, 1 copy of the pp stays with seller, one with purchaser. Seller then sends 1 copy to State police, one to issuing authority.

Edited by madmnk78

Also, 1 copy of the pp stays with seller, one with purchaser. Seller then sends 1 copy to State police, one to issuing authority.

I have always handled the mailing of the copies to the appropriate places, I normally would have the envelops filled out with a stamp ready and I drop them off in the mailbox on the way home after the F2F transfer. I find it easier and I feel better but that's just me. Never had anyone call me on it, heck they probably felt like I just saved them the hassle of doing it.

Now that I think about it, I can see a seller having a problem, a gun registered to them and if I didn't hand in the paperwork it could come back to them I guess if I was a less than upstanding person. I'll keep doing what I do, and if they want to drop the paperwork in the mailbox they can real easy right then and there with everything ready to go, I was just thinking I didn't want a P2P that I used not returned and run into a problem down the road.

See sticky...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9657-firearm-purchasing-requirements-as-it-applies-to-nj-resident/

If both NJ Residents, then 1A(2) applies.

No COE or NICS needed.

OGAM is handguns only

That is all

So I assume the Certificate of Eligibility is not required from the sticky?

I have always handled the mailing of the copies to the appropriate places, I normally would have the envelops filled out with a stamp ready and I drop them off in the mailbox on the way home after the F2F transfer. I find it easier and I feel better but that's just me. Never had anyone call me on it, heck they probably felt like I just saved them the hassle of doing it.

Now that I think about it, I can see a seller having a problem, a gun registered to them and if I didn't hand in the paperwork it could come back to them I guess if I was a less than upstanding person. I'll keep doing what I do, and if they want to drop the paperwork in the mailbox they can real easy right then and there with everything ready to go, I was just thinking I didn't want a P2P that I used not returned and run into a problem down the road.

Is the address available for SP on the internet? Issuing authority is my local police. I'm happy to fill out and stamp two envelopes to make sure this is done correctly.

Advice:

1. Compare DL info to Permit info.

2. Ask purchaser who issued the permit, as it is not written on the form.

Huh, really, I could have sworn I got the address to mail the copies back to the PD who issued them and the NJSP from the P2P, I get CRS is getting worse than I thought.

i might be wrong, but i think the honus is on the seller - purchaser just needs to have their copy to prove it's valid.

Advice:

1. Compare DL info to Permit info.

2. Ask purchaser who issued the permit, as it is not written on the form.

I'm buying and will happily provide the information for my local police. I saw that my FID # was on there so I'm not sure they need that. COE not required for f2f?