99ways2die

MecGar vs Checkmate mags for Sig Sauer P226 X5 Allround w/pics

As many of you know and share some of the sentiments loosely wrote online (and real life) it would appear that many people claim the "new" Sig mags which come from CHECKMATE are far below in quality than Italian mags from MECGAR.

I've read about it, thought about it..........and now you can ad me to the list of believers.

This seems to be one of very few times where "Made in USA" doesn't mean quality, and (unfortunately) I will be getting rid of all my CheckMate (CM)mags (luckily, I only have 2).

Disclaimer: this seems to be the same for MY X5, and I don't want everyon eto think I bash all CM mags, for all applications.

Anyway, the real reason for this post is this:

My X5 seems to hate Remmington 9mm ammo...or so it seemed. I only had 2 CM mags in the beginning, and the very first time on the range I had 3 FTEs (2 FTextract, 1 FTeject). Interestingly, the gun ran fine with some 'low qual' Russian ammo, yet Remmington was bugging out int he 1st two mags I tried. Gave all the Rems to a friend, and continued to have fun with his Russian stuff.

Then I acquired 2 MecGar (MG) mags. Back to the range, same ammo combos were used. I wanted to give Rem ammo another chance - and I did.

Over 400rds of Rem and only a single FTE.

Why?

Well, here's what I think the reason is (aside from the lousy and problematic internal extractor on the X5 itself):

1. MG on left, CM on right - top view.

a-1.jpg

Here's what I wanted to show you:

2. CM mag inserted with a round in (hand off the mag)

d-1.jpg

3. CM mags inserted, and I'm pressing the mag from the bottom up with my finger

c-1.jpg

4. MG mag inserted (hand off the mag)

g-1.jpg

5. MG mag inserted, and I'm pressing the mag from the bottom up with my finger

b-1.jpg

6. CM mag view, from the top

f-1.jpg

7. MG mag view, from the top

e-1.jpg

It maybe a bit hard to see (sorry, wish I had a better camera) but focus on the round and ejector in these pics.

See how much lower the round sits with a CM mag in place?

See how it moves up, but also forward, with the CM mag pushed from the bottom?

See how tight everything is with the MG mag?

See how not much changes when the MG mag is pressed up?

I'm very confident in saying that 99% of the reason why I have/had problems with FTEs thus far is the lousy engineering of the CM mags!

I know it's been said before, and I'm here to reinforce it: CM mags are crap.......and that's all there is to it (IN MY CASE, of course).

I am not excusing Sig from their internal extractor problem, and am not saying it doesn't/won't play a role in any issues, but it looks to be very clear that the sub-par engineering/fit of the Checkmate mags can really attribute to many problems people may have with feeding, extraction and ejection.

For what it's worth...

I have somehow aquired one checkmate mag. It is a range mag that we use and usually only get's 5 rounds, max 10 rounds per string. It is fine for what it is.

I have a lot of Mec-gar mags. I highly recommend the anti snag finish. I would keep the CM mags as your likely to get low balled for them. Just use them for the range and only for like 5 rounds at a time.

Definitely not saying they're all crap, for all applications.

Just showing you guys how they fit in my X5 and the huge difference (IMO) between those, and MGs.

I did some more "testing" later on last night - using snap caps this time :) -and it looked like the CM mags held the rounds much lower, and "looser" than MGs.

My CM mags are new, the MGs are used.

It almost looks like the CMs are not fully inserted into the gun, even though they really are, and consequently, their ill fit attributes to feeding (followed by extraction/ejection) problems.

Same here Lorenzo,

Even though it ticks me off a bit that I have to get replacement mags for what I consider a "premium" firearm, I'd rather eliminate a known defect, even if on my own dime.

Will I continue to have FTEs/etc with MG mags? Perhaps...but at least then I won't have to second guess the mags as a source of failure.

Aside from the sheer aggravation of FTEs at the range (even if good for practice), every time the gun fails to eject, load, etc it usually puts a piece of metal (case) under pressure somewhere inside the gun, in an awkward manner. Result? Possible scratches, bends, chips, etc.

I'm a Sig enthusiast to a pretty extreme degree and you will NOT find a single POS CheckMate in my collection INCLUDING some recent productions I have that Sig shipped with CheckMates as factory! I got rid of them as karmas so I wouldn't feel bad charging anyone for junk! OK, if it's not obvious I've had horrible, horrible experience with CheckMate magazines and only run MecGars.

While I agree that I am not a fan of the checkmate mags at all, I must say that the one mag that I have used for the range has functioned flawlessly.

I prefer the blued or anti snag mags. Mags drop fast when the mag release is hit. The parkerized finish ones not so fast.

While I agree that I am not a fan of the checkmate mags at all, I must say that the one mag that I have used for the range has functioned flawlessly.

I prefer the blued or anti snag mags. Mags drop fast when the mag release is hit. The parkerized finish ones not so fast.

it's a shame we live in NJ. P226 9mm Mec Gar AFC 18rd magazines are cheap

Don't teacup your gun, and you won't have jamming problems from shoving a magazine up farther in the gun.

MecGar are good mags, kind of like metalform are, and I'd like to see any factory mag come form those two contractors rather than say pro-mag or lately it appears check mate.

But you can have malfunctions form teacupping even with good mags, simply because tolerances can be specced differently form lot to lot to accommodate any changes on the production line. The problem with the CM mag may not be due to CM sucking. It may be that sig doesn't want to spend as much time on dressing the chamber, and ordered mags that have the bullet sit higher in the gun while loaded to cover for it with the majority of ammunition.

Don't teacup your gun, and you won't have jamming problems from shoving a magazine up farther in the gun.

MecGar are good mags, kind of like metalform are, and I'd like to see any factory mag come form those two contractors rather than say pro-mag or lately it appears check mate.

But you can have malfunctions form teacupping even with good mags, simply because tolerances can be specced differently form lot to lot to accommodate any changes on the production line. The problem with the CM mag may not be due to CM sucking. It may be that sig doesn't want to spend as much time on dressing the chamber, and ordered mags that have the bullet sit higher in the gun while loaded to cover for it with the majority of ammunition.

I don't think may people teacup guns anymore. I have seen fella's have issue with the CM mags and know they were not teacupping. For me, i's a fit and finish thing. I just feel the MG mags are finished better. Again, did my former CM mags work well, yes it did and without issues.

MG mags are great and you can get them from Topgunsupply.com or gregcoatellc.com. Both are great, greg is slightly chepaer on the shipping so that is a plus. He is also a very personal seller, so you get responses quick. I have ordered from both and tend to put orders in with others to save on shipping. TGS has a lot of stuff, so if you need springs etc...it's a no brainer to go with them. For something small it sucks because they have $10 shiiping no matter what you buy.