mag1

Threaded Barrel

I was looking into a HK45c tactical..It has a threaded barrel. Is this legal in NJ? I am not putting a suppressor on the end of it. Just happens to be a nice package deal with the night sights and higher round mags..Thanks

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at

least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor,

forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm;

Legal.

• Like 1

so, is there anything jersey legal that can be attached to the threaded barrel? i was under the impression that the threaded barrel is the one evil feature and anything else you add makes the weapon illegal.

just read the law literally..

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at

least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

#2 is ONE evil feature.. as long as it is not a "shroud" as defined by #3... you are good to go IMO.. rifles are different..

#2 is ONE evil feature.. as long as it is not a "shroud" as defined by #3... you are good to go IMO.. rifles are different..

This. The law is referring to the barrel itself, not what you attach to the end of it. You could have a threaded barrel with a thread protector on it, or a threaded barrel with a comp on it....it's still one evil feature as long as the barrel itself is threaded. Now a suppressor is another issue ;)

so, is there anything jersey legal that can be attached to the threaded barrel? i was under the impression that the threaded barrel is the one evil feature and anything else you add makes the weapon illegal.

I have a Sig Mosquito with a threaded barrel, and a fake supressor that screws onto it.

wouldn't a fake suppressor mounted on a threaded barrel.. on a semi auto handgun.. technically be a shroud thus illegal..

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

Depends if you can hold it and it doesn't get hot. Right?

I suppose... it is grey enough for me that I would be cautious..

would probably take a pretty substantial amount of .22 fire to heat up a shroud? that is part of the issue with the definition.. it does not define "time" it could mean ONE shot without being burned... or it could mean several thousand.. it simply says "permits shooter to hold with non trigger hand without being burned" which is extremely vague..

So you could have a threaded barrel alone (capped) with no other "evil features" you are OK correct?

just follow the law literally how it is written..

assuming you are talking semi auto pistol..

you can NOT have a gun that is banned by name..

and you can NOT have a semi auto pistol that has TWO or MORE "evil features"

must have a mag capacity of 15 rounds or less..

you may have a threaded barrel.. that threaded barrel may even have an attachment.. that attachment can just not be a shroud..

http://njgunforums.c...un-legal-in-nj/

sorry about that, actually think long gun specifically the SU16CA which is California legal, so you would think NJ legal

follow the law literally for rifle.. be advised it is slightly different than pistol..

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24378-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-rifle-legal-in-nj/

wouldn't a fake suppressor mounted on a threaded barrel.. on a semi auto handgun.. technically be a shroud thus illegal..

No, because the magazine is in the grip..it's only an issue if the magazine is outside of the grip

No, because the magazine is in the grip..it's only an issue if the magazine is outside of the grip

how do you figure that.. a mag outside of the grip is only one of the several features..

the law says.. a semi auto handgun that has a detachable mag.. and has TWO evil features

is to be considered substantially identical..

example.. a hypothetical handgun.. with threaded barrel.. and fake silencer attached..

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine

CHECK

and has at least two of the following

not applicable

STRIKE ONE

burned;

STRIKE TWO

not applicable

not applicable

how do you figure that.. a mag outside of the grip is only one of the several features..

the law says.. a semi auto handgun that has a detachable mag.. and has TWO evil features

is to be considered substantially identical..

example.. a hypothetical handgun.. with threaded barrel.. and fake silencer attached..

CHECK

not applicable

STRIKE ONE

STRIKE TWO

not applicable

not applicable

The fake can does not encircle the barrel..it attaches to the end of it besides i SERIOUSLY doubt Paul would sell them if they were a problem.

burned;

you got it right on the head....

attached to OR partially OR completely encircling the barrel..

do I think that the intention of the law is to make it illegal?

NO

do I think that the loose awkward wording in the law makes it technically illegal?

YES

also to add..

the gun itself would not be substantially identical per NJ definition... so there is nothing wrong with owning the gun.. it is just the gun.. coupled with what appears to be a muzzle device that MIGHT qualify as a shroud by NJs loose definition..

So the only remaining question is do these fake suppressors stay cool enough to allow you to hold them while firing? If they stay cool enough, it appears that it's illegal. If it gets too hot, as a real suppressor would, then it would be legal.

So the only remaining question is do these fake suppressors stay cool enough to allow you to hold them while firing? If they stay cool enough, it appears that it's illegal. If it gets too hot, as a real suppressor would, then it would be legal.

there is no stipulation of the amount of fire needed... NJ wording states.. allowing the gun to be fired without being burned.. 1time? 5 times? 10 times? 100 times? again.. vague

I do not think a fake suppressor is a shroud, because a shroud encircles or covers an object. DEFINITION

when NJ defines something does that not trump any other definition.. case in point.. thumb hole stock.. thumb hole stock is NOT a pistol grip.. it is a stock.. but I would not put one on a semi auto shotgun.. why? because NJ defines pistol grip in a specific way..

NJ states a "shroud" that is "attached to".. a shroud by your definition could be any number of things.. but even taking some of the literal definitions of shroud from the link you provided..

Shroud

2.something that covers or conceals like a garment: a shroud of rain.

3. a protective covering

does it not hide the end of the barrel? does it not protect the threads in the same manner that a thread protector does?

I see nothing even in the common English definition of shroud that says it has to completely and totally cover the entire item it is attached to..

My CX4 barrel shroud which is marketed and sold as a shroud did NOT cover the entire barrel..

like I said.. I think you are just at the dangerous end of splitting hairs for absolutely NO legitimate useful gain..

why even attach a fake suppressor that has NO useful value when it even MIGHT create red flags.. you can tell yourself all you want it is absolutely not a shroud.. and fine.. agree to disagree.. but most people who would read that wording.. as it is literally written..

would agree it is a shroud as NJ is using the wording.. they even go through the trouble of describing it.. as something that could attach to it.. or it could partially cover the barrel.. or completely cover the barrel..

the fake suppressor screws on the end of the barrel.. attaching to the end.. as described.. partially covering it.. as described.. I mean it is pretty to the point.. how much more clear could it be..