gabbagaba

Home Defense Shotgun

They're both very similar. Look at each of their features and pick one based on them, looks, and what feels better shouldered. I have a Maverick 88 which is basically a Mossy 500, just cheaper. I have over 15k shells through it and I am very glad I went with that over others.

Those are basically the most popular 2 pump shotguns. Handle them both and see what you like. I have a mossberg 590a1 and I love it. I don't think you can go wrong with either. As to which one is better its basically a coke vs pepsi argument. Both are great guns.

Go with a 500, 590, 590A1 in the Mossy flavor. Or a tactical 870 in the Remmy flavor. All others are wanna-be's and don't have the track record or accessories like the above mentioned.

Go with whichever sounds scarier when you rack it, because you can't really go wrong with either.

My two cents - the 870 makes a better racking noise. In all seriousness, either would be fine. But if it's gonna be for strictly home defense, get a tactical model.

You can't go wrong with either, although I prefer the Mossbger because of the ambidexterous safety and the open loading port.

I can vouch forr Mossberg's customer service. A friend broke my gun's front bead sight and Mossberg sent a new sight to be free of charge.

Go with whichever sounds scarier when you rack it, because you can't really go wrong with either.

My two cents - the 870 makes a better racking noise. In all seriousness, either would be fine. But if it's gonna be for strictly home defense, get a tactical model.

I have to disagree with this. Not only are tactical models sometimes excessive for some users, they are usually more expensive.

It all depends on what you want. I don't want rails or breacher barrels that I am never going to breach a door with or sidesaddles etc etc, so I prefer a plain-jane shotgun.

If you are going to tacticool a shotgun, then I can understand a wanting for the tactical model, but I always suggest a new buyer to buy the basic model first. Then if they want, they can add things as they go. It seems like a lot of people will spend the extra money for the model with more features, then next thing you know they remove all of them a month later because they realize it is just extra junk.

Oh, and 'racking noise'? I am not sure if you were really serious with that or not but I hope you weren't haha.

forget the racking sound. I'd still use a saiga 12 over a pump.

After attending quite a few shotgun classes, I really like semi autos, as I have seen way too many people short stroke pumps under the minimal stress of a class.

I would be very worried about what could happen under the increased stress of a life or death encounter.

• Like 1

I really hope you guys don't think I was seriously suggesting that anyone should buy a gun based on the noises it makes... I figured that was bizarre enough for anyone to take it as sarcastic. Guess not.

Fair enough on the tactical model. Can't say I disagree with that point.

Same goes with the point about pumps vs. semi-auto. I never advocated for a pump over a semi-auto, but the OP mentioned two pumps, so that's what I went off of. Not sure if I'd be comfortable using a pump in that kind of situation. Would probably feel much better with a semi-auto, provided I was comfortable with the tube capacity.

I'd say go with a pump over a semi auto - less to go wrong with it.

Less that could go wrong with mechanical error, more that could go wrong with user error. It's really 6 or a half dozen of the other. Semi's may have a SLIGHT issue with light target loads, but have been proven reliable with heavy loads like buck and slugs. I'd trust either, it's whatever the user is more comfortable with.

Less that could go wrong with mechanical error, more that could go wrong with user error. It's really 6 or a half dozen of the other. Semi's may have a SLIGHT issue with light target loads, but have been proven reliable with heavy loads like buck and slugs. I'd trust either, it's whatever the user is more comfortable with.

That's true too. I have both my Remmy 11-87 and my Mossberg 500 loaded with buck....

The Mossberg 500 vs. the Remington 870 has been discussed ad nauseum across the internet. Here's an example from this forum: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/26325-m500-vs-870/page__p__346549__hl__+mossberg%20+remington__fromsearch__1#entry346549

Do a search and you will turn up more information than you could ever imagine.

You may want to consider a Mossberg SA-20 Tactical. It can take both 2 3/4" and 3" shells and has a 20" barrel. It is light at 6 pounds and handy and has plenty of stopping power in a 20 gauge; and it would have about 40% less recoil than a 12 gauge (not to mention that the automatic action dampens the recoil even more than with the pump). The recoil pad also aids quite nicely with recoil management. This 20 gauge semi-automatic can be used to make some quick follow-up shots.

The tactical version has a red fiber optic front site, Picatinny rail, and rear ghost sight. It wouldn't have the potential to short stroke it with a pump as pointed out above in the thread, and if kept clean (as a home defense gun used sparingly would be), it would be quite reliable and easy to operate with home defense 20 gauge shells. For someone that won't be practicing too much and wants a foolproof weapon, it might be just the ticket if you get some decent 20 gauge 2 3/4" shells to use in it and test them first.

The only minor things I don't like is that it is that it is made out of the country, it doesn't have the tang safety which I really like on the Mossberg 500, and the barrels are not interchangeable with the 500. And, I am not that crazy about the tactical version with pistol grip, either. However, the one SA-20 I handled worked quite well and I want one. And, it would be better for someone that was recoil sensitive and your wife would probably like it better.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/75779.jpg

Better yet, get that and a 12 gauge pump.

Some other thoughts would be...

An older Ithaca Model 37 in a 12 or 20 gauge would also be nice, especially for a lefty because it is loaded and ejects from the bottom.

Ithaca is making the Model 37, again, and I believe there is a nice looking, but pricey, defense/tactical version that would probably work pretty well for you. An 8-shot version can be had in the versatile 12 gauge platform.

As long as you practice a little, though, you cannot go wrong with a Mossberg pump. A Mossberg 590 would be awesome, too, but it would be overkill in most situations and heavy, and I think it can be had only in 12 gauge. The marine version Mossbergs are also very nice and resistant to the elements. However, for a defensive gun, I might not want a shiny gun, and would probably rather have a black one.

If budget is a concern, you cannot go wrong with a standard pump Mossberg 500 and extra barrels. That might free up some funds for you to supplement it with a nice 9mm semi-automatic, especially if you pickup a used one.

I just bought a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 7 round

http://www.remington...ic-7-round.aspx

I wanted the tactical model, but 1) this model is about $100 cheaper, 2) I had trouble finding the tactical model in stock at a local store, and 3) I had some budget issues at this time of the year and I had to leave room for ammo, carrying case, cleaning kit, and gun cabinet. I will have to add the tactical features down the road.

The longer magazine was really important to me, which this has.

Go with a 500, 590, 590A1 in the Mossy flavor. Or a tactical 870 in the Remmy flavor. All others are wanna-be's and don't have the track record or accessories like the above mentioned.

What ray said "Get the Benelli Supernova!" its the best

I just picked up a Mossberg 590. Added a 6 position tactical stock with pistol grip, sure shot tac light forearm, and a shot shell side saddle. 8+1 shot. Oh I bought a M9 bayonet since it has a bayonet lug.