GiantsFan

How much Ammo can you legally keep at home in NJ?

Not that I plan to horde ammo, but I can envision possibly having 1000-2000 rounds at times if I buy in bulk. So where do you cross the line legally in our State?

Secondly, I've also wondered if it is legal to carry or holster a handgun on your own property. Is that legal in NJ?

Say hypothetically I am sitting outside my home at a picnic bench, cleaning my pistol and a law enforcement officer rides past my home and sees me. What are the ramifications? Can I have a weapon in a holster around the home? Indoors? Outdoors?

Not that I ever envision doing this although I am on several acres in a rural type of area.

These are both questions that I am curious about.

I could see #2 being an issue in a more urban setting even if you are outdoors on your property.

Yup, thinking the same thing. I'll never do it. And if I did, I'm sure the cops would be buy my house pretty quick.

What I meant is if I was sitting on my front porch in a bigger city and I had a firearm with me in public view somebody would call the police. I didn't mean it being illegal.

I am sure you are probably right.. but then what?

the BIGGER issue I see is advertising there is a gun in the house.. that just paints a big bullseye on you for potential break in/theft.. it is not the police I would concern myself with..

What I meant is if I was sitting on my front porch in a bigger city and I had a firearm with me in public view somebody would call the police. I didn't mean it being illegal.

I guess you'd have to have a good relationship with your neighbors (especially so in a more crowded urban setting) because all you would need is one to say you were either waving the gun around or god forbid, pointing it at them and that changes things dramatically against you.

All my direct neighbors know I have guns but I even stop loading or unloading the car if a car is passing on the main street. I live on the corner of a dead end that doesn't get traffic so rather than hauling my gear in or out, I may pause beside the vehicle to block the view of what I'm doing. OPSEC :)

I doubt the police in my town would care but I'm fairly rural.

Ammo is unlimited. Powder if you reload is 32 or 36 pounds as per fire regs for smokeless.

1-2000 rounds is nothing :icon_twisted:

I sort of figured that. But I wanted to see if there was a legal limitation. Hey I plan to "stock up" when it's on sale too for a rainy range day.

Did you guys see the new "canned heat" ammo that Fiocchi is producing? Sealed in metal containers suitable for being submerged etc. Might be good for storing in the damp basement etc.

I am sure you are probably right.. but then what?

the BIGGER issue I see is advertising there is a gun in the house.. that just paints a big bullseye on you for potential break in/theft.. it is not the police I would concern myself with..

People get arrested all the time for doing legal things. Not concerned about the police? Who else is going to confront someone on their property with a gun besides the police?

figure to get the best prices, you normally have to buy 500-1000rds at a minimum. it sounds weird when you think about it, and at first 1000rds seems like forever, but some here probably shoot that in a month or two. and if it was 9mm, 1000rds easily fits, in the original boxes, in a cabelas dry box.

figure to get the best prices, you normally have to buy 500-1000rds at a minimum. it sounds weird when you think about it, and at first 1000rds seems like forever, but some here probably shoot that in a month or two. and if it was 9mm, 1000rds easily fits, in the original boxes, in a cabelas dry box.

Speaking of "good prices" are they available locally or is my best deal via internet order somewhere? For range ammo I'll probably buy 1000 rounds at a time (case quantity.)

sorry to go off topic a bit

Not that I plan to horde ammo, but I can envision possibly having 1000-2000 rounds at times if I buy in bulk.

I think it's cute that you think 2000 rounds is "buying in bulk."

Not sure how much I have, but I think many, many people have 5K+ rounds of 22LR sitting about...

Not that I plan to horde ammo, but I can envision possibly having 1000-2000 rounds at times if I buy in bulk. So where do you cross the line legally in our State?

I would be scared if I ever even came close to getting that low on ammo..

Speaking of "good prices" are they available locally or is my best deal via internet order somewhere? For range ammo I'll probably buy 1000 rounds at a time (case quantity.)

sorry to go off topic a bit

Internet is usually the cheapest, sometimes you can find deals a gun shows as well.

People get arrested all the time for doing legal things. Not concerned about the police? Who else is going to confront someone on their property with a gun besides the police?

I just can not find it logical to fear prosecution when not breaking the law.. I KNOW that overzealous prosecutions have occurred... I know that unjust arrests have taken place.. but people also get in car accidents.. doesn't stop me from driving my car.. can't fear things like that.. it is just not logical for me..

• Like 2

I just can not find it logical to fear prosecution when not breaking the law.. I KNOW that overzealous prosecutions have occurred... I know that unjust arrests have taken place.. but people also get in car accidents.. doesn't stop me from driving my car.. can't fear things like that.. it is just not logical for me..

In the end you will be justified. But how much will it cost you? That is the question.

As far as carrying on your own problem I don't see a problem with that, though your neighbors might. It never hurts to go down to your local PD (if you have one, I know some counties like Salem just have State Police) and play dumb and ask them a question plus it introduces you to them and makes them aware that if anyone calls in a man with a gun at your residence the police won't be to alarmed because they know you already they'll just come down ask a couple questions and be on their way.

In the end you will be justified. But how much will it cost you? That is the question.

freedom and justice are priceless to me.. and they are a fight worth having.... I am sure if I was arrested.. processed.. placed in jail for something unjust.. when the law is CLEARLY on my side.. I would have no problem obtaining legal council.. and further not too much trouble pushing back and suing for reimbursement of all the wrongs the "system" cost me.. while that is a fight I do NOT welcome.. it is a fight I do NOT fear..

• Like 2

I'm not advocating fear but ignoring reality based on your perception of legal/illegal is almost ignorant. What you seem to be missing is that there are times that it doesn't matter how right you are, how clear the law being on your side is, or how many people know you are in the right, if are in a system that is flawed to begin with. I certainly am not saying anyone needs to be scared and paranoid, and not do legal things because of it, but if you think you are immune to the system, you may need to take a deeper look.

In the end it is your choice and you are free to do as you please. In fact, many people are perfectly content with not knowing, and I can't blame them. Because after all, if you don't know, and it isn't effecting you, why care? Fair point.

Secondly, I've also wondered if it is legal to carry or holster a handgun on your own property. Is that legal in NJ?

Say hypothetically I am sitting outside my home at a picnic bench, cleaning my pistol and a law enforcement officer rides past my home and sees me. What are the ramifications? Can I have a weapon in a holster around the home? Indoors? Outdoors?

Not that I ever envision doing this although I am on several acres in a rural type of area.

These are both questions that I am curious about.

you should do your homework. I dont know where you got an idea that there was a limit!

Its very important for gun owners to learn the laws.