TheWombat

RTSP - Sunday 22nd Jan 2012

I'll most likely be at RTSP tomorrow (Sunday) from 8:30am to 10:30am. I want to try my Sig P226 now I've received it back from GrayGuns. Just dry firing it the trigger is noticeably lighter/smoother and PK90 was nice enough to let me compare my P226 with one of his stock items when I went to pick it up.

I'll also have the PPQ 9mm with me for anyone who happens to be there and was looking to try one out before buying.

TheWombat

Was going to try to get there myself. Permits just came in and trying to narrow down a purchase. Do they have more rentals than what is listed on the website?

They dont have a big selection of rentals.... yet

But depending on what you are looking at...... You might want to shoot some of the other members NJGF members guns

I was there today as well, the snow made it nice and quiet. Thanks for the brass again, Tommy.

BTW, if anyone can F2F sell me a NJGF shirt, PM me. I PMed Maksim but he never got back to me.

I met up with Texas Shooter and he put some lead down range with the Sig P226 and Walther PPQ. Another possible PPQ convert however Texas was staying for another hour to try a Glock, so let's see...

I ended up leaving at 11:30... but didn't see anyone else where NJGF t-shirts. Apologies if I missed you.

TheWombat

This was my first time at RTSP. I was there for about 3-4 hours, and shooting for about 2 hours. It's a really nice range, and it's good to see that they are doing very well. Heck, they could have used another 10 lanes and another hand behind the counter (a good problem to have). The place is very clean and the folks working there are friendly, although busy.

I'd like to thank The Wombat for letting me try his Sig 226 and PPQ. Here's my mini-range report:

All the guns are far more accurate than I am, and they're all good firearms. Here's my breakdown so far:

Taurus 99 - I've had this for 25 years, so I'm a bit biased. It looks like a gun to me and it was the most aesthetically pleasing as well. It fits well but I've always had problems hitting the mag release without rotating my hand.

PPQ - Very nice trigger and a little more "flippy" than what I'm used to. Once I got used to the trigger, it was all smooth sailing. It felt very natural in my hand. The magazine release lever is very easy to get used to, no problems there. Did I mention I liked the trigger?

Sig 226 (with trigger job) - "It looks like a gun!" Another wonderful firearm. It's very intuitive to point and shoot. It feels quite natural in the hand and that trigger job makes it superb. It was the most natural to me since I'm used to a hammer fired, all metal gun. It's also at least $200 more than the others.

M&P 40 - It was a fine shooter, but it felt a bit too chunky in my hands. I have medium hands. Of all the guns, this was the most disappointing due to the fit. I also didn't like the trigger. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't as smooth as the Taurus, 226 or PPQ. I did like the boom a 40 S&W makes.

Glock 17 Gen 3 - Good gun and a solid shooter. The fit was OK but it just didn't quite sit right. I did get some really groups with it! I found the trigger to be more like the M&P.

So my overall ranking, from best to worse (main criteria is fit and then "ease of use"):

Walther PPQ 9mm

Sig 226 (with trigger job it is really really close to the PPQ)

Taurus 99 AF (Old Faithful)

Glock 17 Gen 3

M&P 40 (distant fifth)

I wanted to try an XD 9mm and also dry fire a normal Sig 226 (no trigger job), but they were just too busy at RTSP today. I must say, that as of right now, I can definitely see myself buying both the PPQ and the 226. If I had bigger hands, I would probably like the M&P a lot better, but something needs to be done to that trigger.

Hey, glad you had fun. Including the enhancement work I had on the P226 then the total cost is 3 x more than the PPQ :-) Makes the PPQ a bit of a bargain!

You can do a relatively cheap and easy upgrade to the M&P to improve the trigger.. Do a Google on 'Apex' and 'M&P'. I've not tried an M&P with the Apex trigger, so can't compare it to the PPQ. It does however show that out of the box, with no modifications, the PPQ is a very good firearm.

:-)

TheWombat

Sorry I missed you guys...... I was there at 8am.... out my 9......

As far as the M&P.....

Let me know, I will let you try mine.....

My fullsize has a Burwell trigger

My Compact has APEX internals....

might move the M&P from a distant 5th right up in the thick of your list...... ;-)

I wish I didn't have to go into work this morning.

Texas, did you try with different grips? Going from a large to a medium grip on my M&P had a huge effect on the comfort level(large seemed too big, medium was perfect).

67GTO, how hard was it to install the Apex trigger? I want to do mine, however I have no experience with trigger jobs.

The M&P was a rental, so I don't know which backstrap it had. Sure, I'm up for giving the M&P another go, but my biggest gripe was just the fit. It felt bigger than any pistol I've tried. I'm not a member at RTSP, so they won't let me in before 10 on weekends. I'm pretty open during weekdays, too.

The Glock had a really bland feel. I'm not sure if the Gen 4's changed that. Not too bad otherwise.

The M&P was a rental, so I don't know which backstrap it had. Sure, I'm up for giving the M&P another go, but my biggest gripe was just the fit. It felt bigger than any pistol I've tried. I'm not a member at RTSP, so they won't let me in before 10 on weekends. I'm pretty open during weekdays, too.

The Glock had a really bland feel. I'm not sure if the Gen 4's changed that. Not too bad otherwise.

I know exactly what you are saying about the Glock. I've been wanting a safety-less polymer striker fired pistol and I narrowed my choices to the M&P and Glock 19. The M&P was incredible when I first shot it - very accurate, super comfortable in my hands, and overall a hoot to shoot. The Glock 19 friggin sucked....terrible ergonomics, ugly a** look to it, and overall I just couldn't stand shooting it. It has that ehh feel to it that you were talking about, I just can't enjoy a pistol like that.

So I ended up ordering an M&P...should be able to go pick it up this week :D

• Like 1

I'll probably be back at RTSP the weekend of the 4th/5th February for those still wanting to try a PPQ. Am on a 2 day course this coming weekend.

I'll confirm nearer the time whether the Saturday or Sunday, however if you are interested then PM me so I know if there is any interest from the forum members.

TheWombat