Photo

Best All-Around .22 Cal Semi-Auto Pistol under $400 ?? (POLL)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Best All-Around .22 Cal Semi-Auto Pistol under $400 ?? (POLL) (139 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Smith & Wesson M&P 22 (18 votes [12.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.95%

2. Ruger SR22 (13 votes [9.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.35%

3. Sig/GSG 1911-22 (13 votes [9.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.35%

4. Walther P22 (6 votes [4.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.32%

5. Sig Mosquito (2 votes [1.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.44%

6. Ruger MkIII / 22/45 (60 votes [43.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.17%

7. Beretta Neo (7 votes [5.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.04%

8. Browning Buckmark (20 votes [14.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DblEGT

DblEGT
  • LocationSummit NJ area
  • Home Range:Easton Fish & Game

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

DblEGT
Beretta 92A1
SW M&P 22

#2 Anselmo

Anselmo
  • Home Range:Range 14, Ready Aim Fire

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

I bought a Buckmark but I can't say it's the best. I haven't shot all the rest except the Mosquito.

#3 Maksim

Maksim
  • LocationEast Windsor, NJ
  • Home Range:CJRPC Ask me to check it out.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

Best all around for what?

Range sessions? Bullseye? 22 rimfire steel matches? plinking? training?

Most versatile? I would probably say the M&P 22, although that is based solely on looks, and initial functionality. Long term reliability is hard to establish as the gun is still relatively brand new. Having it look and feel just like a real M&P 9/40/45 is a great plus as a training tool, and uses the same holsters.

#4 DblEGT

DblEGT
  • LocationSummit NJ area

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

Best all around for what?

Range sessions? Bullseye? 22 rimfire steel matches? plinking? training?

Most versatile? I would probably say the M&P 22, although that is based solely on looks, and initial functionality. Long term reliability is hard to establish as the gun is still relatively brand new. Having it look and feel just like a real M&P 9/40/45 is a great plus as a training tool, and uses the same holsters.

Yeah, I didn't want to say "Best Range Gun", because we all know the Ruger MKIII or Browning Buckmark most likely have an advantage over the smaller, shorter-barrelled guns. Just wanted to see how everybody defines "Best All-Around" gun.
DblEGT
Beretta 92A1
SW M&P 22

#5 RecessedFilter

RecessedFilter
  • LocationCentral NJ
  • Home Range:PA

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

They all have their pro's and con's.

It's difficult to compare the longer-barreled pistols to the short-barreled smaller pistols. The MKIII/Buckmark are good for long range plinking and tight groups, while the P22 and M&P22 are good training tools for their bigger counterparts. They all have different looks though so you have quite a selection to choose from.

The name's Drez.

I organize Shotgun Shootouts every month in central NJ. We all get together and have fun blasting clays. It's a good chance to meet fellow NJGFers and try out new shotguns. New shooters, experienced shooters - everyone is welcome. If you're interested, keep an eye out on the Events & Meetups section or feel free to PM me with any questions!

#6 woodentoe

woodentoe
  • LocationWoodbridge, NJ
  • Home Range:OBRPC

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

I have to say that .22 pistols that are toy-like in their feel leave me cold. I haven't shot the M&P22, but the Walther is unshootable for me. It is just too unsubstantial and doesn't feel durable to me. I have a similar issue with the mosquito. I'm going to go to SS this afternoon and take the SIG 226-22lr for a spin.

I just want a full frame gun..even for a small caliber. For that reason, I'd go mkiii. Even the one with the shortest barrel will feel better to me than the p22.

I also like a revolver in .22 :-)
Become a total Ruger fanboy. >Ruger Mark iii Target 5.5in SS >Ruger P95 >1978 Ruger Security Six .357>

#7 67gtonut

67gtonut
  • LocationRockaway, NJ
  • Home Range:RTSP

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

I am probably the one person who will say this..... I have owned 2 Ruger MK II/III 's ...... neither would run 100%, no matter what ammo I put thru them. And even if they did, the work you have to do in order to clean them make em a "NO SALE" in my book.....

I bought the M&P22 to compliment my FS 9mm, and it has far exceeded my expectations....... not only does it run at 100%, it field strips as easy as its Big Brother.

Troy

#8 DblEGT

DblEGT
  • LocationSummit NJ area

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

"I'm going to go to SS this afternoon and take the SIG 226-22lr for a spin."

Rented the Sig 226-22 last week at ShoreShot. Liked it, except did NOT like the fact that it does not lock back after the last round. Why they wouldn't include this feature is beyond me !
DblEGT
Beretta 92A1
SW M&P 22

#9 DblEGT

DblEGT
  • LocationSummit NJ area

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

I am probably the one person who will say this..... I have owned 2 Ruger MK II/III 's ...... neither would run 100%, no matter what ammo I put thru them. And even if they did, the work you have to do in order to clean them make em a "NO SALE" in my book.....

I bought the M&P22 to compliment my FS 9mm, and it has far exceeded my expectations....... not only does it run at 100%, it field strips as easy as its Big Brother.

I've heard pluses and minuses about the Walther-built M&P22. I'm hesitant to get the M&P22 since it seems to have the same internals as the Walther P22, which has a cheap pot-metal slide. Seems like they needed to get to a price point and skimped on the slide material, which is a shame. I do like the look of the M&P22, although also wish they included the adjustable backstrap feature, like it's bigger siblings (9 and 40).

Seems like you've had very good experience with it, so this is why I am CONFUSED ! :-)
DblEGT
Beretta 92A1
SW M&P 22

#10 TCinJ

TCinJ
  • LocationPeople's Republic of NJ

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

I voted for the Ruger MKII - MKIII

The biggest complaint is that they are hard to disassemble and reassemble. In reality, it isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it. (but it is more difficult than say a S&W 22A)
I've never had major problems with any of the Rugers I've used with cheap bulk ammo. Couple of FTE's here and there and a rare missed fire which is par for the course with rimfires I am told.
Dupe

Aaargh!

Gun snobs and "know it all's" crack me up. Many of whom would probably crap their pants if in a real self defense situation.

#11 RedBowTies88

RedBowTies88
  • LocationCape May Area
  • Home Range:Private Property

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

Just picked up a brand new 22/45mk3 for $289. So for with only 200 rounds through it it has been flawless. had good ergonomics and with the 5.5" bull barrel I was hitting a propane tank from 50yards 8-9 out of 10 times with factory iron sights.
P-64, S&W Chiefs Special Airweight, Marlin 795 & XT-22tr, Saiga 5.56, 1923 Mosin, CZ75 SA

#12 Underdog

Underdog

Constitutional Conservative

• Premier Member
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern NJ

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Used Ruger Mark II Target w/ a 5 1/2 bull barrel, Hogue grips and fiber optic front sight or a Taurus 992 revolver Hunter model that comes with 22WMR cylinder as well.
"We must make our election between economy and Liberty, or profusion and servitude." -Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan

#13 blksheep

blksheep
  • LocationOcean County
  • Home Range:CJRPC

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

One vote for the Ruger. Classic Americana.
GLOCK Certified Armorer

Fast and True

#14 tony357

tony357
  • LocationTUCKERTON NJ

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

The SR22 has not been around long enough..
If it flies it die's, if it run's it is done!

#15 Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe
  • LocationHunterdon
  • Home Range:Hudson Farm & SCFGPA

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

I've got a Neos. It eats all ammo, easy to clean/dissasemble, accurate(only shot 25yds), trigger is horrific. It has a smallish grip and is notcibly lighter than the Mk series. You can also get a pretty cool kit that turns it into a carbine.
Certified NSCA Level II Instructor
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor

#16 hd2000fxdl

hd2000fxdl
  • LocationSayreville, NJ

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

while I enjoy shooting my GSG 1911-22 the most, if I had to only have one 22LR pistol, it would be a Ruger MK III Hunter.
Harry

Member: NRA // NJ2AS // ANJRPC // SAF // USCCA // CCW FL, AZ & VA // GSSF // USPSA & SCSA
// Dillon 650 // OBRPC // GOA //

Like to Travel? // Hunting Trips (PM me to learn how) // Free Booking Enginehttps://harrymwells....ation?flow=pref

Bike Related: Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
When You Get There, There's No There There

Bad Decisions Make Great Stories
Never offer to fight an OLD geezer. If you win, there's NO glory. If you Lose, your reputation is shot.

#17 claptrap

claptrap

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

1 vote for buckmark cause it's the only one on this list I have, it's a fun little gun

#18 tt-33

tt-33
  • Locationocean county
  • Home Range:cjr&p

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

the ruger until you have to clean it some people get so mad during reassembling it they sell it when I worked in a shop more than a few showed up in a shoe box

#19 diamondd817

diamondd817
  • LocationNear Morristown
  • Home Range:RTSP, Bullet Hole, Cherry Ridge

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

The SR22 has not been around long enough..

This. But it seems like a winner.
“The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunters. Hunters use firearms. Hunters have every right to use firearms, as do target shooters, as do gun collectors, as do others. “The fact of the matter is that the Second Amendment has to do with personal and national defense. It was put into the Constitution by the founders who considered it as important indeed as the First Amendment.” ... NRA President David Keene

Member:

NRA
SAF
NJ2AS
ANJRPC

#20 Underdog

Underdog

Constitutional Conservative

• Premier Member
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern NJ

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

My uncle's Colt Woodsman has them all beat, but so does its price tag.
"We must make our election between economy and Liberty, or profusion and servitude." -Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan

#21 NJ Ghost

NJ Ghost
  • Home Range:Shore Shot Pistol Range

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hi Everyone, New here....Please allow me to add that I have a Ruger MarkII Stainless Govt 6 7/8" (?) barrel all tricked out with volquartzen stuff.. It took a bit of getting used to in the cleaning dept. But I now have it down pat and it's not a problem. Infact it's kinda therapudic. I Love this gun's accuracy and it eats CCI blazer which i buy by the case ,thank G-d they're one of the cheapest. Two Permits have just been approved and I'm buying a Ruger MarkIII Hunter next week and one other in 30 days or so. I just haven't made up my mind on what the second gun will be....It does hold true that your favorite gun is always your next one......

#22 hd2000fxdl

hd2000fxdl
  • LocationSayreville, NJ

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hi Everyone, New here....Please allow me to add that I have a Ruger MarkII Stainless Govt 6 7/8" (?) barrel all tricked out with volquartzen stuff.. It took a bit of getting used to in the cleaning dept. But I now have it down pat and it's not a problem. Infact it's kinda therapudic. I Love this gun's accuracy and it eats CCI blazer which i buy by the case ,thank G-d they're one of the cheapest. Two Permits have just been approved and I'm buying a Ruger MarkIII Hunter next week and one other in 30 days or so. I just haven't made up my mind on what the second gun will be....It does hold true that your favorite gun is always your next one......

If you like 1911 style guns, take a look at the GSG 1911-22, it's a real fun and nice gun, plus you probably not going to get a better 22LR plinker pistol than the Ruger's you will already have anyway.
Harry

Member: NRA // NJ2AS // ANJRPC // SAF // USCCA // CCW FL, AZ & VA // GSSF // USPSA & SCSA
// Dillon 650 // OBRPC // GOA //

Like to Travel? // Hunting Trips (PM me to learn how) // Free Booking Enginehttps://harrymwells....ation?flow=pref

Bike Related: Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
When You Get There, There's No There There

Bad Decisions Make Great Stories
Never offer to fight an OLD geezer. If you win, there's NO glory. If you Lose, your reputation is shot.

#23 DblEGT

DblEGT
  • LocationSummit NJ area

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Just changed my vote to the SW M&P 22.....also just became a new owner !!
DblEGT
Beretta 92A1
SW M&P 22

#24 leadjacket

leadjacket
  • LocationGloucester Co.
  • Home Range:SJSC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

love my ruger mkII competition model slab barrel.also very partial to my S&W model 422

#25 mandec

mandec
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Home Range:EFGA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Love my Ruger MK iii Target, and waiting patiently for the paperwork to clear so I can pick up my Sig 1911. Have to say I really didn't like shooting the 22/45 model, but the MK iii Target is a pleasure to shoot and reliable. It will shoot just about anything you can put through it.

#26 Joe Danger

Joe Danger

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Ruger sr22p. It shoots everything you feed it.

#27 ChrisJM981

ChrisJM981
  • LocationBergen County, NJ
  • Home Range:Cherry Ridge/Gun For Hire

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

I have a Walther P22. Lots of fun, but it doesn't like 36gr Federal Bulk. However, my S&W 22A eats almost anything.
Effective gun control is a well placed shot.

NRA & SAF Life Member
NJ2AS Member

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson

#28 BlueLineFish

BlueLineFish
  • LocationBayonne,NJ

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

i would say spend a tad bit more and get a colt rail gun 1911 in 22

#29 johnp

johnp

The day my guns are confiscated is the day you know I am dead

• Members
  • 3,128 posts
  • LocationBergen county
  • Home Range:PA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

SO much this. I got one and of course it is a ton of fun to shoot, but once you leave the range the fun is over. Trying to field strip and clean this thing is a friggin nightmare. If it wasn't for our bs permit system, I'd sell it and buy another pistol in .22.
NRA- Life Member
GOA- Life Member
SAF- Life Member

New Jersey Gun Law Guide

#30 Vicious

Vicious
  • Home Range:Bullet Hole/ Bayonne Pistol Range

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

~400 rounds through my 22/45 Mk III, and I have not had 1 issue (FTF / FTE). I keep it clean, lubed, and only shoot CCI Mini-Mags. As for the cleaning, it's 10x easier to break down than to reassemble. I always forget to put the magazine, which makes it damn near impossible to finish the assembly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users