Bully

My 1911 Build!!!

Well, I sent the loot in a couple of weeks ago for my frame/slide kit from Fusion (fusionfirearms.com). I ordered a 5" Slabside kit with a full dustcover frame. They are fitting the slide to the frame, the barrel, and sending along a slide stop and main spring housing, both in stainless. Since I'm the impatinent type, I also ordered a couple of things from Brownell's with a gift certificate that I won on m1911.org. I got a Wilson Combat extended mag release, the catch and spring to go with it. I also ordered a stainless pin set and a titanium firing pin and extra strong spring for it. The firing pin was backordered, but the total came to just under 100 bucks with shipping. It all (minus the f.p.) showed up the other day. I am looking forward to the challenge that is coming even though the heavy fitting is done. I have never attempted anything like this, but I know that it's gonna be fun.

First things will be to de-horn the frame. Also, I will be attempting to fill in the front strap checkering that comes with the frame. I am considering silver solder, but may opt to just sand it down. I need to have it in hand to judge the thickness and see if there will be enough material if I go the sanding route.

Again, I don't know what the hell I am doing so any constructive criticism will be very welcome. Pics will be posted shortly.

C

001.jpg

Also, I will be attempting to fill in the front strap checkering that comes with the frame. I am considering silver solder, but may opt to just sand it down

It's your gun, but I just wondered why you'd want to get rid of the front strap checkering. That usually enhances the grip and adds to the cost - you've paid for it and want to eliminate it - enlighten us.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's your gun, but I just wondered why you'd want to get rid of the front strap checkering. That usually enhances the grip and adds to the cost - you've paid for it and want to eliminate it - enlighten us.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Agreed 100%. If it's that much of an issue get a frame without the checkering.

The frame does not come without checkering. Aesthetically, for what I have planned for this pistol, it just doesn't fit.

I like guns for function as well as the way they look. I'm a little... particular that way. I get the reason for the checkering, it's just not for me. Not on this one. Mostly a range toy/BBQ gun.

And to be honest, to be a little different.

C

This is the frame/slide I am doing (only a Gov't). I don't want the checkering. Although I agree it would be neat to have the bands of checkering, I think I am going to forgo them just the same.

C

commanderSlabkit-3.jpg

I haven't picked out a grip safety yet. But, it will be operable.

I like the Wilson Combat Bulletproof Concealment Safety, however it may be a bit more than I can handle, fitting it wise, on my first project. We'll see.

C

Range and BBQ!!!

That being said, it WILL see some range time. If I get lucky enough to build it right, I may sell the Kimber to build another one. We'll see. I have a serious lust for a railed Gov't in 10mm.

C

So, I got a sneak peek at my frame and slide from Bob at Fusion. It's not gonna be quite as plain Jane as I had at first thought. I'm pretty stinkin' stoked at what should be showing up around the end of next week. I will keep this thread updated as I move (slowly) along.

C

Yes. I'm not experienced at this stuff, so I am having them do the really major fitting. Frame/slide/barrel. That way my screw ups won't be as co$tly. Next one, if there is a next, I will do more of the work.

C

My backordered titanium firing pin showed up from Brownell's today. Spoke with Bob at Fusion yesterday and the kit is slated to ship tomorrow. Always a chance of delay, but I'm hopeful. I will post pics as soon as I can.

C

Frame kit arrived yesterday and I now have it in hand!! It looks better to me than the pics that Bob sent. I will post pics in the next day or two, camera battery is dead and I have to work a long day today.

And Ray, I'll be keeping the checkering. I like it better in person.

C

• Like 1

Hold that thought, Ray. You may not approve as the slide is "worked" a bit.

My camera's batteries are kaput and I have no idea where the charger is, so I am going to post the pic that Bob sent me of the slide for my approval. I will post actual pics when I get the camera working. Let me know what y'all think.

C

fusion.jpg

I honestly have no idea. Fusion was backed up on 9mm slides and offered me this. I like it. I went for it. I think it will show well and the BBQ. The pistol is pretty weighty as it is, but I would have to figure a couple or more ounces if it wasn't cut. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

C