Bully

My 1911 Build!!!

No, it doesn't.

:facepalm:

Ray, you know what opinions are like...

I like it. All that really matters.

I'm gonna get to working on it a little this weekend. Smooth some of the edges, clean up the magwell, blah-blah.

C

• Like 1

Ray, you know what opinions are like...

I like it. All that really matters.

I'm gonna get to working on it a little this weekend. Smooth some of the edges, clean up the magwell, blah-blah.

C

your right

With the slide lightening cuts, is it a matter of trial & error to get the right weight recoil spring for proper cycling?

Not really, at least as far as functioning goes. A 1911 will operate reliably with a fairly wide range of recoil spring weights, the experimenting comes in when you want to alter the speed the slide comes back or goes forward and how that makes recoil feel. Unless you are going with REALLY light loads, in which case you will have to go to a lighter spring.

004-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

Did a little work on it tonite. Smoothed the rough/sharp edges. There really weren't too many of them, but I went around the frame and took care of what I found. Smoothed out the magwell. Just a bit there too. Assembled what I have and made the decision to go with the smaller slide release as opposed to the extended. Fitted the Wilson Combat mag release. Just needed to bevel the edge of the catch so it would seat fully in the frame. Put the MSH in and am contemplating the fitting of it. Never really gone after anything like it, so I'm moving slowly.

I must say that I like this gun. Feels really good in the hand with a comfortable balance.

My kid keeps asking when it's gonna be done. I keep telling him that it will be another 6 months. That's probably on target as I have other priorities. But I will move as quickly as I can. Any thoughts on fitting the MSH would be greatly appreciated, btw.

C

Check your middle finger under your trigger finger for sharp edge on the trigger guard.. Long shooting session can rub your finger soar where it contacts the trigger guard, i have smoothed and polished that area on both of my USPSA 1911's.. you do not notice it target shooting but an all day steel shoot or USPSA shoot tends to make you start noticing..

Check your middle finger under your trigger finger for sharp edge on the trigger guard.. Long shooting session can rub your finger soar where it contacts the trigger guard, i have smoothed and polished that area on both of my USPSA 1911's.. you do not notice it target shooting but an all day steel shoot or USPSA shoot tends to make you start noticing..

Will do. Thanks Tony.

C

Got the MSH fitted and mostly smoothed out. Have a little more to go, but I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I emailed Bob at Fusion today to find out about some of the other parts. Will order them as $$$ allows.

C

002-2.jpg

001-4.jpg

Just an observation here, but you seem to want to take checkering off of where most people pay extra to have it. I think you reversed course on the front strap IIRC, but now I see that you have completely smoothed the MSH. While I can understand not liking too aggressive a texture, checkering has been the standard for over a hundred years. Your money, your taste - just wondered why?

Adios,

PIzza Bob

The MSH came with no checkering.

Mostly, for me, it's purely aesthetics. I just want a smooth pistol. Nothing more than that. If I wanted traditional, I would be building a Mil-Spec clone. Not my cup of tea. Also, I find that "grip" comes mostly from the grips themselves. Especially at the range where this will live.

Thanks for the criticism, btw. I don't mind being challenged. It's the exchange of ideas and taste that makes places like this fun for me.

C

The lightning cuts and full dust cover aren't exactly my cup of tea, but then again I'm a huge fan of the original look. That being said, I've always been able to respect when A LOT of work goes into something like this. Not agreeing with the style is purely opinion, but I'll always give a HUGE thumbs up to anyone who pulls through a project like this. Good luck, and I hope it turns out to be what you want.

The lightning cuts and full dust cover aren't exactly my cup of tea, but then again I'm a huge fan of the original look. That being said, I've always been able to respect when A LOT of work goes into something like this. Not agreeing with the style is purely opinion, but I'll always give a HUGE thumbs up to anyone who pulls through a project like this. Good luck, and I hope it turns out to be what you want.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it as well.

C

Yes, the frame was shipped to an FFL (Ramsey Outdoor). Everything else can be shipped straight to me.

Not sure on the finish other than it will most likely be Duracote. I paint as a hobby (I did my bike, which is my avatar) so I have most everything I need to do it.

The slide came directly from Fusion that way. They do all of their own machine work. Their site sucks. However, if you call and speak to Bob, he will get you squared away. It's the easiest way to do it. Be sure to let him know I sent you along to him.

C

I know building a gun to save money is like building a boat to save on fish, but where do you think you'll land, price wise?

(unless that's terribly nosey-in which case..sorry)

kinda gettin the 1911 bug though

more than kinda, actually

I know building a gun to save money is like building a boat to save on fish, but where do you think you'll land, price wise?

(unless that's terribly nosey-in which case..sorry)

kinda gettin the 1911 bug though

more than kinda, actually

There's no saving when you go this way. It's not about that. Yes, I'm not buying barstock Ed Brown stuff, however, the stuff I'm buying has a decent reputation on the boards I'm on as being well or slightly underpriced for what it is. As for total cost, most home builds end up between 9 and 13 hundred from what I've seen. I should fall somewhere in the middle. That doesn't count the small amount that I've spent on tools for this but will use elsewhere. I REALLY like tools. Like, a lot. So, that's never a problem.

C

There's no saving when you go this way. It's not about that. Yes, I'm not buying barstock Ed Brown stuff, however, the stuff I'm buying has a decent reputation on the boards I'm on as being well or slightly underpriced for what it is. As for total cost, most home builds end up between 9 and 13 hundred from what I've seen. I should fall somewhere in the middle. That doesn't count the small amount that I've spent on tools for this but will use elsewhere. I REALLY like tools. Like, a lot. So, that's never a problem.

C

I knew this build was by no means a money saving venture, it's incredible, very nice work!

I'm thinking possibly a little plainer, closer to stock might get me a 1911 I know I built myself, rather than go "off the rack"

Got the MSH pretty much finished up. New stuff showed up today: hammer, grip safety, thumb safety, firing pin stop, and the extractor. Pricey little bits. Started working on the firing pin stop. Pretty much got it in and looking good. Now I just need to clearance it to the frame. Next up will be the grip safety and thumb safety.

I must say, if you have ever thought of doing something like this, do it. It's a HUGE learning experience and a lot of fun. I will update as things get to final fit.

C

001-6.jpg

Topher, I know you arent asking for help but I have a book you might be interested in, you can have it for $15.00 shipped, I bought it brand new but I never used it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13815/Product/JERRY-KUHNHAUSEN-THE-U-S-M1911-M1911A1-PISTOLS-A-SHOP-MANUAL

Let me know,