Bully

My 1911 Build!!!

Frank.

No talent here. I kinda suck at it. I have been given a lot from folks on here in the form of advice and such. The real talent lies with them. I'm just a schlub that puts stuff together. As for what I have in it, let's just say you could buy a semi custom for around the same price. Done. Shootable. No worries.

There are less expensive ways to go. I chose to not go that route as this will be a hand-me-down to my stepson. Any time you would like to chat, drop me a line or ring me.

C

Looks nice. What tools did you need to put it together (e.g. files, jigs, etc)?

I have the same extended mag release and I find that I trip it with my support hand every once in a while, so I changed it out for a button type extended mag release.

I got the pre-fitted top end. Barrel and such were already fitted up. So, I have just basic files and such. Got a vise as well. Nothing to fancy. Between that and some good sandpaper it seems to be going ok. I'm kinda stuck on the assembly and just need to take a trip to someone that knows a lot more than me, but with summer time and having the kids around, it'll wait until september. I have other stuff to shoot, so it's all good.

C

Just an update:

I dropped the Fusion off at OMG Custom Guns in Bayonne. Rick is a great guy and a good 'smith. I had everything on the gun but it needed final fitting. The thumb safety needed some lovin' as well and I have a heavy, uneducated hand. Not a good combo when putting together something like this. So, off she went. He addressed all the issues and she is now sitting in his shop waiting for me to pick her up. I can't wait to get my hands on her! I am hoping to get a couple of rounds thru her to function check and then dis-assemble and get some color on her.

Since most of you hate the gun anyway, I figger I will go all the way and make it a "Zombie Slayer" or something like that. Zombie green slide and a black frame with Hogue Zombie glow in the dark grips! Just an unsightly little bit of joy. Most likely will top it off with a Burris Fast Fire 'dot sight. Not sure on that right now. I wil update with pics when I have it in hand.

C

Painted black & green???

NOOOOOOO! That gun needs to be highly polished and blued!!

Meh. Polish, blue. Everyone has one of those. A Zombie Green gun, well so many less own one of those! That makes it cooler.

C

Meh. Polish, blue. Everyone has one of those. A Zombie Green gun, well so many less own one of those! That makes it cooler.

C

+7

Zombie green gun with a red dot, will be bad ass looking.

I'm pretty damn tired, so I'm probably missing it if you mentioned it, but how much did this whole project cost? Any unusual tools? How much was the frame and parts?

Eventually I plan to get a handgun, and I've been leaning towards a 1911, I figure I could build it myself to 1) save money 2) Get something more "me" 3)learn more about firearm operation, design, and maintenance.

Let me know more about this, Honestly, I'd like to do more builds, but I don't know where one goes to get kits and things like that.

Hey Matt.

Truth be told, you will save money buying a complete one from a shop. This has cost me a good bit, somewhere around 13 hundred at this point. I feel it's worth every penny, but it wasn't cheap. There are cheaper options out there. Sarco in PA has frames and kits that you can build for less than a thousand but they're kinda run of the mill. A good way to get started for sure.

As for tools, you can go as crazy as you like. I got some files. Sandpaper i have. I needed a vise anyway. So, it wasn't anything too special. If you get into doing the sear and hammer hooks, expect to spend some loot.

I would suggest buying a Springfield GI for around 500. Shoot it and take it apart a bunch of times. Figure out what you want to change. Go from there. There is plenty of room on that gun for custom work. It's actually a frame that a lot of the smiths use as a starting point for custom builds.

If I can help, drop me a line.

C

028.jpg

Did you "photoshop" the serial number out, or is it located in another spot on the frame?

Looks good, even though it's very different. That's a really cool trigger. Better than the cliche' 3 hole aluminum one that comes on every 1911 now. I've swapped out all mine for solid triggers, but I really like yours. What model is it, and where did you get it?

Trigger is under the grip hidden by my ninja photog skillz!

The trigger is a Dlask. Got it from Rick at OMG. If you're interested in it, I may be looking to sell or trade. I think I want a solid, straight blade.

The trigger is stupid light. It's titanium and magnesium. I honestly thought the box was empty when it showed up. Very cool.

C

I just got the new trigger in and fitted. Had a little work done by Alchemy Custom Weaponry in Illinois. Great guy that used to work for Springfield and Baer. He definitely knows his way around a 1911. Picked up the sights from him as well. He fitted them and popped them out so I can finish the frame and slide. I'll put them in when that's done.

Currently I am sanding the frame and polishing the flats. I am going to go with a blued frame and slide because... I got a great deal on some bluing solution. So I'm in process of trying to make it look acceptable. Pics to follow.

Kinda crazy that it's been over a year since I started.

C