NJdiverTony

Can the grips be changed out on a S&W 686???

I went to a local shop today to check out the S&W 686, and was surprised that the grip was smallish for my hands. I have pretty big hands so I had some difficulty with getting my fingers to sit comfortably in the finger grooves of the grip. It just didn't feel right in my hand. I checked out a large frame .44 mag S&W revolver and the grip on that just felt great as it was bigger. Is it possible to change out the grip on the 686 with larger aftermarket grips that'll fit my hand better???

I went to a local shop today to check out the S&W 686, and was surprised that the grip was smallish for my hands. I have pretty big hands so I had some difficulty with getting my fingers to sit comfortably in the finger grooves of the grip. It just didn't feel right in my hand. I checked out a large frame .44 mag S&W revolver and the grip on that just felt great as it was bigger. Is it possible to change out the grip on the 686 with larger aftermarket grips that'll fit my hand better???

Interchangeable grips have been made for S&W for decades! So the answer is a resounding YES! Does the store have original S&W wood grips for L-frames? Or a Houge or Pachmayr wide-style set that will fit on that frame?

In addition to changing the grips, you have several options with regard to .357 revolvers made in the larger N-Frame that you saw in the .44 caliber gun you held. Nothing wrong about buying a N-Frame .357 either, (6-shot or 8-shot) so you have more options on the table than you're now considering........

ok, not sure by pic that could be a square butt. the square but has a wider grip than the round butt.

It is hard to find pics of the two different frames..

here are a set of round and square frame grips to compare the difference.

http://www.midwayusa...tt-rubber-black

http://www.midwayusa...tt-rubber-black

OK, yeah... the grips that the 686 I fondled had the square butt hogue grips on it... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/600666/hogue-monogrip-grips-s-and-w-k-l-frame-square-butt-rubber-black

The finger grooves are so tight on it and just didn't feel good the way it sat in my hand. When I tried a large frame (N frame?) revolver, it just felt perfect... but man that thing is a HUGE hunk of steel! Not sure if I want something that big.

Hogue made the grips for some (all?) of the S&W X-Frames (those are the .460's and .500's). They were different from their regular grips in that they completely cover the backstrap - which absorbs recoil and increases the distance to the trigger. Made for large hands. The X-frame uses the same gripframe as the K/L framed guns so you may want to try a set of these.

Spoke with a guy at a USPSA match that was shooting a 625 (N-frame / Round Butt) and he said the X-frame backstrap covering grips fit that also. Not the SB just the RB N-frame - can't confirm that, can only go by what I saw and was told.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Hogue made the grips for some (all?) of the S&W X-Frames (those are the .460's and .500's). They were different from their regular grips in that they completely cover the backstrap - which absorbs recoil and increases the distance to the trigger. Made for large hands. The X-frame uses the same gripframe as the K/L framed guns so you may want to try a set of these.

Spoke with a guy at a USPSA match that was shooting a 625 (N-frame / Round Butt) and he said the X-frame backstrap covering grips fit that also. Not the SB just the RB N-frame - can't confirm that, can only go by what I saw and was told.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Bob,

OK, I just went on S&W website and actually the large revolver the guy gave to me to hold was indeed an X-frame... I found the exact picture of it... I thought he said it was a .44 mag, but it looks like it was a .500 The thing was a beast, but the grip felt great for my hand.

It was this one:

163504_01_md.jpg

Those would be the ones. I found them for sale - but only at S&W, not from Hogue direct, and they are orange. Here....

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765827_-1_758003_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

But it does show that they will fit all K, L, N and X frames with round butts.