keithco88

Appleseed experiences?

Anybody done an appleseed event? I don't get a lot of time at range with my 10/22 plus like camping and history. Mostly interested to hear any really good or bad experiences, also if anybody in north jersey its interested and knows a range or club that might host us I'll try organizing with the core group to get instructors...else I guess I'll just drive down south

I've been to two and loved them - both in Manheim, PA. It's only a 25 yard range for Appleseed, but the club has 100 and 200 yard fields. Our second time there my son and I were invited to go to the longer ranges to do some shooting and learning as well. A great group of volunteers teach the course and go over some details in the history of the opening shots of the Revolutionary War. Both times the other shooters were real nice as well, and with a wide range of experience.

Very worthwhile!

Jimmyagr and I went last spring in South Jersey. There was a lot of story telling and history, in fact it was mostly story telling and history. I expected more shooting, instruction, range time myself, but if limited shooting and story time is your thing, then you might like it. The group that put everything on was a nice bunch of folks that lived and breathed for that organization. One of the instructors was in tears at several points during story time. While I understand his passion and respect for our country and history, at times it was a little much.

Having said that, we skipped day 2, such a long drive and we felt it wasn't worth it.

The actual instruction part of day one was pretty good, how to shoot with a sling, prone and proper breathing/trigger interaction.

Edit to say, please don't let my experience persuade you from attending, it definitely had value and we did learn a lot.

Edited by Regulator72

I happen to really enjoy the Appleseed experience and believe in the program. As a metterof fact, a quick search here has shown me that I am the main poster about appleseed events... sort of a shame as I think they should be more popular and discussed. If your shooting style is still undefined and you lare ooking to improve your groups, then jump in a class, especially if you like history, shooting and having a good time. If you are a well established shooter or a tactical shooter already and a serious commitment to one method, you will not really like it. They teach the Marine shooting styles, prone, sitting, kneeling and offhand. Old fashioned yet still effective.

Here is a writeup on my first event http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15243-appleseed-shoot-report/page__hl__appleseed__fromsearch__1

My second was last spring at SJSC in Winslow, NJ. It was a good event and the leader was passionate. I enjoyed my time, and I think the cost to value is well worth it. Sat is mostly chalk talk as I called it, the second day is all shooting, all day basically. You jump right into the rotations early the second day after sighting in.

I enjoy the events, I will prob go again this spring as another of my friends that is new to shooting wants to go. I have not shot for rifleman as of yet, missed my first year because the 597 sights suck. Last year I had to leaver early because somebody's wife went into false labor and I was the ride home. bitter because I was going to shoot the M1a all day and my sightin group of 5 shots was one hole.

I believe in the organization, every American should be a rifleman.

Anybody done an appleseed event? I don't get a lot of time at range with my 10/22 plus like camping and history. Mostly interested to hear any really good or bad experiences, also if anybody in north jersey its interested and knows a range or club that might host us I'll try organizing with the core group to get instructors...else I guess I'll just drive down south

Ahhh. Never heard of this.

Project Appleseed is a rifle marksmanship and historical awareness program developed by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association.[1] The program focuses on teaching marksmanship from standing, sitting, and prone positions. In addition, each Appleseed teaches an oral history of the events leading up to the start of the American Revolution, specifically the Battles of Lexington and Concord, and the subsequent British retreat to Boston. These stories include an overview of the events of the day but focus on the stories of individuals such as Paul Revere, Captains John Parker (Lexington) or Isaac Davis (Acton), Hezekiah Wyman and Samuel Whittemore.

The other thing I found weird was we had people shooting .22's with open sights, scopes, etc.. also people shooting AR's. And one guy shooting some sort of AK. Not sure how that same mix can be judged with the same criteria as far as accuracy and the riflemans patch? Shouldnt everyone have ,22's?

Not complaining as I did well with my plain old ruger with tech sights, just curious.

Like i said, the instruction part was awesome and I would consider doing it again if it was closer just so I could finish

The other thing I found weird was we had people shooting .22's with open sights, scopes, etc.. also people shooting AR's. And one guy shooting some sort of AK. Not sure how that same mix can be judged with the same criteria as far as accuracy and the riflemans patch? Shouldnt everyone have ,22's?

Not complaining as I did well with my plain old ruger with tech sights, just curious.

Like i said, the instruction part was awesome and I would consider doing it again if it was closer just so I could finish

I'd probably bring what I had and I don't have a .22. The priority list is an AR in 5.56 followed by a .308.

I don't see this as a competition against the others. It's more of how well you do with your rifle. If you want to try it with open sights, great. If your default is an AR with a 3X+ scope, great. In fact, the instructors at one I attended told me about a teenage girl who qualified for Rifleman with a bolt action! That's impressive.

Attended two Appleseeds. Both were just fine. Very, very nice people.

You will find out how well you shoot the 22. But you can slso bring an AR or AK.

One minor thing - the tears during the history telling was a bit much.

Bottom line is you get to shoot plenty. But if you just want to shoot shoot shoot and not sit and listen patiently then DO NOT GO.