In the eyes of the state of NJ you are discharging what is legally defined as a firearm.  Check your local code for rules on discharging firearms.

Do discharge rules differ among towns and jurisdictions within the state?

It's amazing what you can find online. The only exceptions are LEO or events "approved by the town council." Firearms include everything that's considered a firearm in this state, presumably even slingshots although I'm not sure about that.

§ 109-1Prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearms within the Town of Newton.

Call the Wantage PD.  Speak to a firearms detective.  Just say the words "firearms discharge", usually you'll get a quick response   ;)

Wantage does not have a police dept.

Then you're in NJSP Sussex region.  Troop B.  Call them up.  They will follow state ordinances, you should be ok.  Call Wantage town and see if they have firearms or noise regulations. 

Quiz question: Does anyone remember how/why the Sussex, N.J. police department was disbanded in the early 1990s? And what happened to the crime rate?

It's amazing what you can find online. The only exceptions are LEO or events "approved by the town council." Firearms include everything that's considered a firearm in this state, presumably even slingshots although I'm not sure about that.

§ 109-1Prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearms within the Town of Newton.

Slingshots are illegal. You can't get a permit for them, just jail.

.... correct.  My town has a "no discharge" ordinance, which means I can't even shoot these friggin' squirrels that are tearing up our vegetable garden.

So, if you have nosy, jrked off neighbors, air rifle ( I'm sure you know), chicken wire fence or traps with peanuts (got 33 in my yard in one year, residential area, neighbors like to feed peanuts to the cute little fu, er things.) I have the little b'tards jumping from the porch railing into my window flower boxes and ripping them up. Just thought of it tonight, punji stakes (bamboo skewers).

So, if you have nosy, jrked off neighbors, air rifle ( I'm sure you know), chicken wire fence or traps with peanuts (got 33 in my yard in one year, residential area, neighbors like to feed peanuts to the cute little fu, er things.) I have the little b'tards jumping from the porch railing into my window flower boxes and ripping them up. Just thought of it tonight, pungi stakes (bamboo skewers).

Not so much that they're nosy, but all it takes is for one to call.  I'm not sure the severity of a violation of the "no discharge" law in my town, but I don't want to find out.  I'd imagine it's more that a $25 fine or something like that.  As far as trapping, etc, that's not really my bag.  I don't want to deal with relocating them, while alive, etc.  My ideal solution would have been if I were allowed to shoot them dead and dispose of them in the trash, but I guess that's not going to happen.

"As far as trapping, etc, that's not really my bag."

I know, it's a pain! Just put the skewers in the window boxes this am. Curious to see if that'll work. Now I need something for the deer. Destroyed 2 of my tomato plants last night.

So do the same restrictions apply w/ regard to shooting in one's back yard? Distance from neighboring homes?

Was just looking this up myself for my town and found this website: http://ecode360.com/9586428

Here's a screen shot of the relevant area:

JvBs3nz.png

I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds like I can let pellets fly in my backyard.  

Hey guys, new member here.

Thanks for the input on BB guns, I was looking forward to picking one up for some target practice with my kids.

One thing I'd just like to point out, while nj gun laws are stupid, the reasons items magically change is because of the sovereign rights of states. I would prefer a min/max federal standard but I bet, while it might work out better in NJ, there might be some folks in other states who would turn out worse for where.

Just saying is all. Again thanks for the info.

I am suspecting also that shooting the targets I intended would probably be illegal, the damned raccoons eating my garbage cans!

One thing I'd just like to point out, while nj gun laws are stupid, the reasons items magically change is because of the sovereign rights of states. I would prefer a min/max federal standard but I bet, while it might work out better in NJ, there might be some folks in other states who would turn out worse for where.

What about the sovereign Rights of the People?

there is a bill in nj leg to reverse the bb gun as firearm

Does it include language forcing us to paint them day-glow colors so they're NOT mistaken for "real" firearms?  http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/07/cops-kill-man-in-wal-mart-carrying-an-air-rifle-that-he-might-have-planned-to-buy/#!