noons

Build your own

How much does it cost to build your own AR?

That really depends on what you build it with. Want to be more specific? I can drop $30 on handguards, or $350 if I buy a really expensive rail system, or somewhere in between. I can drop $99 on a no name fire sale M4 profile barrel, or I can spend $500 on a decent match grade barrel.

I'd like to give a useful answer but your question is really too broad. It's like asking 'how much does it cost to build your own computer?'. Answer - it depends on what you want it to do/how powerful you want it to be.

Here's a suggestion - find a complete AR rifle for sale that you like, then come back and ask what it would cost to assemble an equivalent one from parts.

Also, check out this thread if you haven't already:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10248-ar15-newbie-building-a-first-ar/

I agree with all the replies above... Your question is really too broad. Depending on what you're looking for, the cost can vary wildly. Can you specify what kind of AR you want to build? Carbine to shoot with iron sights? Something with a longer barrel for long range shooting? Do you want optics? That also adds cost to it too.

For my first build, I spent more than I would've liked but in the end I'm happier I did spend more because it means that I have a gun I'm happy with instead of purchasing a completed rifle and then adding/swapping parts.

I can echo that too... as I just built my first AR just recently and had the same result... but I'm happy with the rifle. It came out exactly the way that I wanted it, as I controlled every part that went into it. My next build will be a long range shooter with some good quality optics, but will probably have to wait a few months as I just spent a bunch on stocking up on 5.56 ammo.

For my first build, I spent more than I would've liked but in the end I'm happier I did spend more because it means that I have a gun I'm happy with instead of purchasing a completed rifle and then adding/swapping parts.

Exactly this. I spent about 50% more than originally intended... but I'm much happier. I have everything I want. (For now. :sungum: )

REALLY broad stroke here, but figure MINIMUM 700$ range for something you'll be happy with...

I agree totally with previous posts, you'll need to decide why it'll be used for, and what parts you can be comfortable skimping on

it probably can be done for less, but at that point, you need to ask yourself if it's worth it

(not an expert, but a recent first build graduate)

It can be done... but you sacrifice all the cool parts! :laugh:

There are certainly parts you can save on initially and you can always replace them later. For instance. No need for a Mega Billet Lower... a sub-$100 Spikes Lower works just fine. (Save you a couple hundred right there.) You don't need to have a Geissele SSA or Timney trigger (that'll save you roughly $200). You don't need a Nickel-Boron coated BCG (That'll save you anywhere from $50-$200). You don't need a MagPul UBR stock (That'll save you $200). You don't need free-float rails (that'll save you anywhere from $100 - $300). Fixed sights are much cheaper than Troy Tritium BUIS. The standard charging handle is fine... no need to spend $40-ish on a BCM Gunfighter. You don't need a $450 soft/hard case combo from LaRue, a soft rifle case just might be enough for you. No need to buy PMAGs, UGSI mags are good and cheaper.

And don't even get me started on optics... My dream build would have me rocking an ACOG that just about costs about what I put into the rest of my rifle. :laugh:

I did upgrade a lot of those parts on my current build.... but I did a lot of homework before plunging in and made sure that I really wanted them bad enough or they made enough difference before I pulled the trigger.

I think the best money I did spend on upgrading was on the trigger. Everything else is gravy... but the trigger made a world of difference.

My rifle runs probably about $1500 to build form scratch. To get something similar built and delivered as a whole, it would probably cost about $1800-2200 depending. I can find package deals that get close for about $1500 though, but if I made the parts substitutions to match it exactly, my build cost would be about $1230.

My rifle runs probably about $1500 to build form scratch. To get something similar built and delivered as a whole, it would probably cost about $1800-2200 depending. I can find package deals that get close for about $1500 though, but if I made the parts substitutions to match it exactly, my build cost would be about $1230.

I'll pay you $1,230 to build one for me!!!

Using a pre-assembled upper and some bargain hunting, my AR was built for less than $700 without optics.

You guys are trying to compare Apples and Oranges. I don't believe that your time is free. On top of the Materials cost, add your labor at, say, $15 an hour and on top of that add 40% of the labor for medical benefits... Now compare your "cost" to the price you'd pay at a dealer...

You guys are trying to compare Apples and Oranges. I don't believe that your time is free. On top of the Materials cost, add your labor at, say, $15 an hour and on top of that add 40% of the labor for medical benefits... Now compare your "cost" to the price you'd pay at a dealer...

Lol. Took me an hour to put together my lower.... and that was with no prior experience....

The people who assemble these in the factories should be able to do it in 30 minutes or less.... or heck if they have machines doing it, who knows how fast.

Lol. Took me an hour to put together my lower.... and that was with no prior experience....

The people who assemble these in the factories should be able to do it in 30 minutes or less.... or heck if they have machines doing it, who knows how fast.

My fear is not knowing what to buy and buying the wrong stuff.

My fear is not knowing what to buy and buying the wrong stuff.

I'm in the process of building my first one and had the same fear. There are a lot of helpful people on here so pick their brain, I have. Also check out AR15.com for info, a wealth of knowledge there.

As for price my entire build cost just over $800

128 for the stripped lower (DPMS)

65 for the LPK

69 for a pined 6 position style stock

499 for a stag complete upper H2 with rear fold down sight

49 for 2 PMAG's 15 rounders in a 30 rd body.

The prices include tax and shipping.

Only the lower is complete so far, waiting on the upper, stock and mags.

This was to get me up and running but I will be adding things as money allows such as optical sight, forward handle, flashlight mount, etc.

An AR can be built from as low as $600. Of course you could just as easily spend 4X that as well.

I went the inexpensive route for my first AR. As I gain experience I will upgrade and/or replace. My guess is I will wind-up owning several.

Research, my friend, research. I did my homework before I started buying!

That research takes a bit of time I do not have right now. I did pick up Brownells - How to Build an AR-15 that I can read on the plane. I guess depending on the amount of time required, paying half of retail would be a good thing.

That research takes a bit of time I do not have right now. I did pick up Brownells - How to Build an AR-15 that I can read on the plane. I guess depending on the amount of time required, paying half of retail would be a good thing.

Honestly - just ask around for opinions here. Most people swear by a few different manufacturers - Spikes, BCM, and Palmetto State Armory.

You can build a rifle for as little as $400 or as much as $4000. It really depends on what you want. My AR was built with everything I wanted for $800

PSA LPK

CMMG Lower

Magpul MOE Stock

Magpul MOE Trigger Guard

Magpul MOE Grip

Magpul MOE Midlength handguard

Del-Ton Midlength upper

I've done this math a lot lately. If you can live with non-floated handguard and with the standard trigger (I hesitate to call it milspec, I have no idea where people get their trigger packs from to throw in kits) but still select decent barrels/bolts/upper/lower and MOE furniture then the magic number is $800-$900, with $900 being closer to the truth. This also assumes Magpul sights. If you want better sights add $150-$200. If you want a better trigger add $120-$230. If you want a free floated handguard add $165-$300. If you want optics add $200-$(your house). If you want a better barrel (for some very variable and subjective definition of better) add $100-$300 (assuming the original cost $200-$250, and you would purchase the "better" barrel instead).

I just crunched some math, with my lower and buying a preassembled RRA upper im looking at right at 1000.

Keep in mind thats without ANY optics (iron sights or holos etc), mags, with relatively cheap stock, and whatever it will cost to have the muzzle pinned.

You can continue to cut corners buy getting a cheaper upper, cheaper parts kits, basic handguards etc.

My advice, set a budget, build one on paper with the options you want, then compromise until you are happy.

Actually most of the savings is the excise tax not being involved in a self build. Most DIY parts are marked up a LOT compared to what someone who orders even 25 at once much less hundreds. Most of that markup covers the cost of employees/whatnot. My TIME to put one together? Minimal. Heck, the last lower I got that I had all the parts on hand was assembled and function tested (dry fire) in less than 30 minutes. The upper takes a bit longer, but not much unless there are problems to be fixed except for a few key operations that are either not necessary outside NJ, or are outying cases because I like what I like. Buying good instead of cheap avoids most of that. 3 yeas ago, no pre-built would have come CLOSE to my $1500 price for a similar gun. However, we have had a massive proliferation of black rifle parts resellers and assemblers.

And actually, my time IS pretty much free. Unless you know of someone willing to pay by the hour for my few unoccupied hours in the evening, it's not like there is opportunity costs beyond what hobby I spend my free time on. If you are a lawyer or high end accountant or some other profession that can bill out hourly and bill for 70 hours in a day, sure.. that argument makes sense. Most people I find who make it are also choosing between working on some hobby or doing something else that doesn't get them paid. It's a stupid argument.