keithco88

Rail Covers Recommendation?

I'm getting a Stag upper with Samson star-C free-float rail but the only thing I'm mounting on it (for now!) is a Magpul RVG. I'd like to cover up the rest of the rail with something that's a little grippy, not too bulky, and won't break if I need to take it off. I don't mind cutting to fit around accessories.

I know Magpul and a few other folks make those small panels. The rest of the market seems to be either ladder style super low profile stuff or somewhat bulkier panels that completely hide the underlying "teeth" of the rail.

Brands that have caught my eye thus far are:

Surefire

Mako

Blackhawk

Magpul

But without being able to touch the damn things it's impossible to know what I'd like so I'm trying to poll our local AR community and see what ppl like. I'm 5'11" and have decently large hands, but again don't want something so bulky that my wife (5'2") couldn't hold the dang gun. Theoretically I'd prefer the type that fully protect the underlying rail just to have one less thing to worry about getting beat up.

Anyway...opinions? Please include links to the manufacturer or retailer site where I could see whatever you're talking about. Pics of it on your AR would be even better and probably make this thread way more fun! :zzthiwwop: ...or links

I personally like the ladders. They don't add any girth to the rail and remove the edges. I got 3 with my DD lite and i like them. Made out of tough rubber, and slip on and off in a couple seconds. http://www.amazon.co...K/dp/B004Y7EF7E

There are much cheaper options then the DD covers too.

I have had most of the covers mentioned, but my personal favorite is the Tango Down SCAR pannels; very grippy even when wet wet, without being clingy like some of the rubber versions, and fairly low profile. I have little girly hands, and have no problem wrapping my fingers around the forearm of my SCAR 16S with all sides covered.

my personal favorite is the Tango Down SCAR pannels; very grippy even when wet wet, without being clingy like some of the rubber versions, and fairly low profile.

This. Check out Tango Down. I have the SCAR panels on my BCM upper and a different version on my LMT. Like them both, but really like the feel of the SCAR panels.

Thanks for the recommendations folks. I liked the look of the Larue clips and found them (or maybe knockoffs) on eBay for pretty cheap so I'll try those out first. Will post pics once I get everything assembled (still waiting on my upper from Stag)

Gonna bump this..need some panels for my carbine build DD Omega rail..never had panels on any guns .wondering what you guys like and what you dont

larue index clips are still good.. if I had a rail I would still stick with those.. 

Personally my conclusion to this dilemma has been to have less rails. Pick a hand guard that is modular and only add the rail bits you need. Less money and less weight and less girth.

+1000 to what vlad said. I run just enough rail on mine to keep my part on it and i just used sections of ladder rail on my 12 o'clock position rail to protect it from getting jacked up

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk