DTtuner

Brass Knuckles legality

As far I know they are Illegal

Other Prohibited Items: gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades embedded in wood, ballistic knife.

I still love the fact that you can legally own firearms in NJ but there is no legal way to possess a wrist rocket! Only in NJ. When I was a kid I used to spend my summers at my grandparents' homes in Florida. My cousin Steven lived down there and had his own .22 and shotgun at 12/13 years old. He introduced me to a wrist rocket one summer and I shot that damned thing every day for two months. I was so pissed off when my father took it away from me upon my return to Jersey. I never got over that. ;-)

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

Can you explain it? Good to go.

I'll probably take some heat on this, but so be it. Since you asked specifically about brass knuckles, that's what I'll comment on. I have no issues with them be illegal. As far as I'm concerned and I think history will show this, BK's have only ever served one purpose and that was to "OFFENSIVELY" cause massive bodily harm to another purpose. You never hear of them being used to "DEFEND" someone from an attack or beating. They are consciously used to mame and injure, that's it. Yea, I know, someone will find a story or something along those lines in the next 15-minutes that will show someone claiming to use them as self-defense, however I'd love to locate some real stats. I'd bet they show their usage as I outlined above.

As far as I'm concerned and I think history will show this, BK's have only ever served one purpose and that was to "OFFENSIVELY" cause massive bodily harm to another purpose.

You lost me here.

Any weapon of any kind can be used either offensively or defensively.

The Law is the Law and there's no two ways around it. So if it's illegal because Lautendouche has sand in his vagina, well we can't do much about it.

But the logic you're using scares me.

How is a pair of brass knuckles any different from say a pipe, lead-lined gloves, or those key chain Kubotans?

EDIT: I hate NJ, and I'm angry.

I still love the fact that you can legally own firearms in NJ but there is no legal way to possess a wrist rocket! Only in NJ. When I was a kid I used to spend my summers at my grandparents' homes in Florida. My cousin Steven lived down there and had his own .22 and shotgun at 12/13 years old. He introduced me to a wrist rocket one summer and I shot that damned thing every day for two months. I was so pissed off when my father took it away from me upon my return to Jersey. I never got over that. ;-)

Wanna get your knickers in a twist? The original text of the law said "slungshot" which is a device that can be used by hoodlums to beat the crap out of someone (you can google it). Some idjit secretary said "oops - that's a typo" and fixed it to read slingshot and that my friends is how we end up with wrist rockets being illegal here in NJ. I am not kidding...

Wanna get your knickers in a twist? The original text of the law said "slungshot" which is a device that can be used by hoodlums to beat the crap out of someone (you can google it). Some idjit secretary said "oops - that's a typo" and fixed it to read slingshot and that my friends is how we end up with wrist rockets being illegal here in NJ. I am not kidding...

I remember reading that in Nappen's book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slungshot

You lost me here.

The Law is the Law and there's no two ways around it. So if it's illegal because Lautendouche has sand in his vagina, well we can't do much about it.

How is a pair of brass knuckles any different from say a pipe, lead-lined gloves, or those key chain Kubotans?

You opinion and right to feel that way, for sure. Like I said, I support them being illegal.

If they are illegal to possess, then yes, you are breaking the law.

BUT, they are NOT illegal to possess. Is not collecting a legal purpose? If they were made to be illegal to possess outright, the statute would not have the below section in red. It would read as follows:

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

And not as written in the law:

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

BUT, they are NOT illegal to possess. Is not collecting a legal purpose? If they were made to be illegal to possess outright, the statute would not have the below section in red. It would read as follows:

And not as written in the law:

Then I stand corrected about their legality. I was assuming, based on what's areadly been stated here, that they are illegal. If they're OK to own, then go at it. I'd still wager that 90% of the "legal" owners are not owning them to collect or show.

You lost me here.

They have been Illegal to possess (Without an articulable lawful purpose) going all the way back to Title 2A (The previous Criminal Code), and Probably even the prior codes going back to the 1930's....same with Concealed handguns ..Lautenberg has nothing to do with it.