Sign in to follow this  
TheWombat

Some training fun at the range (RTSP 8th Sept 2012)

The Walther PPQ and PPS have been receiving most of the range time so I decided to take my Sig P226 USPSA to the range. The Sig benefited from the Gray Guns ELCP overhaul a while back which made the trigger from good to great, although to my shame I haven't had much range time with the Sig in many months.

Today's range trip was to focus on 5 shooting fundamentals that had been covered during my 1:1 Gun For Hire training session a couple of weeks ago:

a) position/orientation of feet, stance, balance

b) position/orientation of arms, shoulders to ensure not locking arms/tensing tricep muscles which quickly results in fatigue

c) providing greater grip with weak hand rather than strong hand to improve trigger control and follow through

d) sights, sights, sights

e) bringing firearm to target from compressed guard or holster

Posture & Stance

For the position of my feet I use a modified Isosceles. I am right handed so therefore my right foot is slightly back from my left foot and importantly the heel of my right foot is pushed outward. I lean forward slightly and am able to flex/bounce up and down with my legs in this stance while remaining comfortable.

Feetv2.jpg

Target and Exercises

DSC02679.jpg

I took a standard target and covered it in coloured Post It notes. The notes are a mix of 3"x3" and 1 7/8" x 1 7/8".

The target was at 7 yards/21 feet.

Starting with the firearm either in the holster or compressed guard, while keeping your eyes looking down at the floor try the following exercises, resetting to compressed guard or holster and looking back down at the floor after each exercises.

a) select 1 colour, look up, bring firearm to target, put 2 rounds through a large Post It note of the selected colour, followed by 1 round through a small Post It note of the selected colour.

b) select 1 colour, look up, bring firearm to target, put 2 rounds through each large Post It note of selected colour

c) select 1 colour, look up, bring firearm to target, put 2 rounds through each small Post It note of selected colour

d) select 2 colours, look up, bring firearm to target, put 2 rounds through a Post It note of the first colour, followed by 1 round through a Post It note of the second colour.

e) etc, etc, etc

In total I shot 600 rounds of .22 CCI Mini Mags through the Sig. I had no failure to fires, and only 2 failure to ejects. The target above has around 200 rounds in it as I switched after the first 400.

I noticed a material improvement in my accuracy and groupings as I focused on sights/trigger. By bringing the firearm on target each time it quickly highlighted where my technique was inconsistent. The exercises also allow for plenty of DA/SA transitioning.

Overall I was impressed with the Sig and the Post It note exercise technique made a break from the standard routine. I will be repeating this again although probably moving the target out to 10 yards next time. Another way to increase the pressure is to use a beeper and set time limits for each exercise.

The Sig after 600 rounds

DSC02682.jpg

DSC02684.jpg

DSC02686.jpg

A cheap and enjoyable 2.5 hours at the range. I arrived at 8am and had an uninterrupted 2.5 hours as the range wasn't busy and there were always spare lanes. I did see a couple of other people shooter Walther PPSs!

TheWombat

note: Feet position picture edited (corrected) - thanks to tblant for his comments.

I am right handed as well. i have been shooting much more square to the target than you...it seems to work better for me. I then began focusing on a straight left arm and actually moved my right foot forward about6 inches. looser grip with right hand, better trigger control...still working on this, not sure yet. thanks for sharing your practice tips. Nice shooting! Much better than I do.

I am right handed as well. i have been shooting much more square to the target than you...it seems to work better for me. I then began focusing on a straight left arm and actually moved my right foot forward about6 inches. looser grip with right hand, better trigger control...still working on this, not sure yet. thanks for sharing your practice tips. Nice shooting! Much better than I do.

I've only been shooting for about a year so definitely can't claim a high level of expertise. I started of using the Weaver Stance (bladed) as I found it natural particularly as I am right handed and very left eye dominant. After a couple of training sessions and research on the Internet I began working to transition over to an Isosceles style stance which felt very unnatural - I also found I was tensing my triceps which very quickly fatigued my arms and resulted in a lot of wobble.

At first I was both feet almost parallel and being fully squared on, however in the recent GunForHire classes I've been to, particularly the recent 1:1 training with Chuck he recommended I move my right foot back a little more and push the heel outwards.

I probably haven't got the picture quite right - I'll do some edits, as the toes on my right foot should be infront/overlap the heel on my left foot. I'll recheck the picture I included as looking at it now it may imply the right foot is further back then it should be.

In a real shooting situation you may not have time to adjust your feet, and I believe it doesn't influence accuracy significantly. Foot position does provide stability and mobility. So far it is the sight picture, trigger control and follow through that seem to be 80-90% of what makes a shot accurate.

hth

TheWombat

note: Foot position picture on post 1 now edited.

Hey Wombat, that's a nice drill. I'm going to have to try it.

Do you get your drills from somewhere, or do you just make them up?

I typically take a number of different concepts from different places (You Tube, Internet websites, GFH classes, Books etc) and then merge them together with a few of my own thoughts about what would be fun.

The end result doesn't always work, but it is usually fun. A key part for me is to think about what specifically I want to improve within a specific training session and then focus on that specific area and the 2-3 related items.

I'll probably head to RTSP this coming weekend and try some more similar exercises but at 10->15 yards.

TheWombat

I really like that idea with the post it notes. I wish I had thought if it years ago when I wanted something other than a plain bullseye target. So simple, and very inexpensive (compared to some targets). Thanks for sharing!

I really like that idea with the post it notes. I wish I had thought if it years ago when I wanted something other than a plain bullseye target. So simple, and very inexpensive (compared to some targets). Thanks for sharing!

A few of the other shooters at RTSP have also commented on the post-it note approach, maybe we're starting a new trend!

My latest drills I've added are (at the buzzer):

Switching hands

1) Draw firearm from holster

2) put 2 shots (2 handed strong side) into blue post-it note

3) Switch grip to 2 handed weak side (i.e. pulling trigger with weak hand)

4) Put 2 shots into red post-it note

5) Switch grip to 2 handed strong side (i.e. pulling trigger with strong hand)

6) return back to 2) or re-holster.

I typically put 3-6 blue and red post-it notes up. This makes it easier to see how accurate the shots are between each transition.

Strong Hand, Weak Hand

For this one I use a mix of the 3" square and 1 7/8" square post-it notes.

1) Draw firearm from holster

2) put 2 shots (1 handed strong side) into 1 7/8" square post-it note

3) transition to one handed weak side

4) put 2 shots (1 handed weak side) into 3" square post-it note

5) repeat etc

I then use a variations of all the above and earlier drills but also mix up the number of shots so it is not always the same 2 shots etc.

I've noticed significant improvement and am now doing the drills at 10 yards (earlier it was 7 yards). As I demonstrate consistent accuracy and improved speed at 10 yards, I will move to 15 yards etc.

TheWombat