Genewarper111

Also offering NRA Basic Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun

On the GAPP website you can find a tab labelled "NRA basic courses"

http://www.gappnj.com/nra_basic_courses

This takes you to a description, with dates and prices, of how we present the NRA "Basic" curriculum.

Each of these courses is designed to qualify the student to obtain the NRA "Basic" certificate in the respective discipline (eg, "Basic Shotgun"), and in so doing, instill the correct Knowledge, Skills and Attitude to allow new and novice shooters to go safely to the range themselves. So, they are designed for complete beginners and you do not need your own firearms.

Everything you need is provided: guns, ammunition, breakfast, lunch and coffee, and all the NRA course materials. The courses each have class and range elements. The guns you will shoot cover different actions and calibers. You may also bring your own if you have them (but only factory ammo please, no reloads).

The instructors all hold the appropriate NRA firearm and range safety qualifications.

So, come and try out these courses, and bring your spouse, partner or friend!

Best

G

The Basic Pistol class is an 8+ hour course that covers a wide variety of pistols (difference actions, difference manufacturers, different nomenclature, etc)... it gives a beginner an idea of what pistol they may want to buy and how to safely handle it on the range and at home. First steps pistol orientation is around 4 hours, it is given to a smaller group of students (4 at most) and is geared toward a specific pistol... its designed to educate a pistol owner about a pistol they already own. I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, let us know.

We usually find that people enjoy the chance to learn about a range of pistols and to shoot a a variety of actions and calibers, even though they own a pistol already, or have a favorite one.. most people haven' shot a 357 magnum, for example, although some have. With the longer course, there's also a little more time to go into questions people may have, and to spend more time on the range, focusing on shooting fundamentals.

If you're thinking about CCW, GAPP offers a comprehensive UT and FL course, and the Live Fire component is extensive and suitable for the FL permit, but for some (CT, for example) the "Basic Pistol" certificate is required.

(see here: http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&Q=494614&desppNav_GID=2080

"You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses. Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver.")

In the end however, only you can decide what training is best for you - you've already made the most important decision, which is to investigate formal training.

Happy shooting - looking forward to meeting you in person!

G

We are delighted you enjoyed it. It was great to meet you in person.

Our thanks go out to you and all of our students, who continue to make the classes fun for us, and each other.

Look out for Basic Rifle (Nov 11&18) and Basic Shotgun (Dec 2) coming up soon!

Very best

G

Are you tempting me to buy additional hardware? Ha, ha, ha! I think I'll have to stick with the smaller stuff right now since the bosslady would kick me out. I'll be looking into another pistol class for the late winter or early spring though. Gotta get some research done on what I should take as my bext step considering my ownership reason(s).