Long range 1000 yds Shooting

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jmac92

Jmac92
  • LocationSomerset County
  • Home Range:RTSP

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Is there any ranges in NJ between 500 - 1000 yds??
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"An armed society is a polite society."
- Robert Heinlein

#2 BullzeyeNJ

BullzeyeNJ
  • LocationPassaic County
  • Home Range:Riverdale Police Pistol Team

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Cumberland riflemen. 600 yds.

#3 alowerlevel

alowerlevel
  • Location5 Miles East Of Camden

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

AFAIK Cumberland Rifleman is the longest in the state @ 600 yards (but I could be wrong) http://www.cumberlan...n.com/index.php But you have to be a member.
Nick

#4 MikeK77

MikeK77
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Warren county, to Cumberland county is a hell of a drive, just to shoot a few rounds..lol
*Springfield XD 9mm*
*Sig P238 Gambler*
*Mossberg 500 12g*
*Ruger 10/22 Tactical*

#5 njJoniGuy

njJoniGuy
  • LocationGlou County
  • Home Range:SJSC & Cumberland

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

In reply to the locked post:

Cumberland Riflemen in Millville (Cumberland county) is the only 600yd range available to civilians in the state.

You need to be a member or the guest of a member to use the facility.

We shoot monthly matches there on weekends through October, then pick it up again in the spring.

So Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow (lower Camden county) has a 300yd range.

Same guest rules as Cumberland

It's my regular club, so I'm there lots more than monthly..

Contact me if you're interested in coming down to either one.

Shooting since the sixties
ON A MISSION FROM G-D like Jake and Elwood

IS THE LINE READY ON THE RIGHT?

#6 Bugsy732

Bugsy732
  • LocationAtlantic County

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

South Jersey Shooting Club has the 300 yard range.  very nice facility and clean. People are very friendly.

#7 njpilot

njpilot
  • Home Range:CJRPC

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol in Jackson has 300 yd range as well.

"I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man." - George Washington

"The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freeman or slaves" - George Washington 1776

"The right of self-defense never ceases." - James Monroe

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of the republic; since it offers a strong moral check against usurpation and arbitrary power of the rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them." - James Madison, wrote in his "Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States" (1833)

#8 rfkhunter

rfkhunter

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol in Jackson has 300 yd range as well.

Yeh if you want to cough up $600 fee to join !  Just went from $400 to $600 in July.  

#9 blksheep

blksheep
  • LocationOcean County

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

Yeh if you want to cough up $600 fee to join ! Just went from $400 to $600 in July.

Worth every penny
GLOCK Certified Armorer

Fast and True

#10 njpilot

njpilot

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Worth every penny

+1000. Best range around.

They even want to push out to 600 yds, but as of now, the town won't let them expand the footprint. They are constantly upgrading the ranges.

"I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man." - George Washington

"The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freeman or slaves" - George Washington 1776

"The right of self-defense never ceases." - James Monroe

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of the republic; since it offers a strong moral check against usurpation and arbitrary power of the rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them." - James Madison, wrote in his "Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States" (1833)

#11 Mikey Bullz

Mikey Bullz
  • Home Range:Cherry ridge

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Cherry ridge has a 300yd range, not bad and membership is somewhere around 175 for the year

#12 NJKen

NJKen
  • LocationEast Windsor
  • Home Range:CJR&PC, The Farm

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

They even want to push out to 600 yds, but as of now, the town won't let them expand the footprint. They are constantly upgrading the ranges.

Dam!  That would be sweet!

"There are some people who should not have a wind-up clock...Others, who can take a rubber hammer and break an anvil."

"No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationary"

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)

#13 CageFighter

CageFighter
  • LocationNorth NJ

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

600yds?   -we can only dream!

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor.........................ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

#14 njJoniGuy

njJoniGuy
  • LocationGlou County

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

Don't forget, for 600yds you for damn sure need pits.

No way to see your holes from the line.

So you've got the huge expense of a protected pit structure plus using the range becomes a 2-man operation (shooter and scorer)

South Jersey would like to add a 600 or 1000yd range to their place.

I'll believe it when I see construction begin.

#15 Black Ops

Black Ops
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

If they ever get a 600 yard range I'll spend the money to join.

I like my guns like my women...well lubed and hot.

#16 JonF

JonF
  • LocationKeansburg
  • Home Range:Shore Shot, CJRPC, MCRPC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

So you've got the huge expense of a protected pit structure plus using the range becomes a 2-man operation (shooter and scorer)

South Jersey would like to add a 600 or 1000yd range to their place.

I'll believe it when I see construction begin.

This is 100% true. Recently a friend and member of cumberland invited me down there to shoot the 600 yard range. I have a nice Savage in 6.5 creedmoor, but have never shot ay further than HALF that distance before. It was humbling at the very least and equally frustrating since i couldn't see any holes through the rifle scope or spotting scope. I pretty much wasted 50 rounds that day trying to dial it in and attempt to shoot anything resembling a group. I had calculated some rough holdovers but the percentage of error at that distance is pretty high and with no way to verify until you drive down to the target its fairly futile. Then when you make a correction, you pretty much have to go through all this again hoping it got you where you wanted (And not over or under compensated). It would have been nice to be able to start at say 400, then progress beyond but at that range its 600 or nothing which is very annoying. Totally sucks the fun out of shooting!

Member: NRA Life Member | NJ2AS | USPSA | DILLIGAF

#17 carguy3j

carguy3j

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

So you've got the huge expense of a protected pit structure plus using the range becomes a 2-man operation (shooter and scorer)..............

What about cameras located downrange, linked to monitors at the line? Cameras good enough to tell you where you hit are pretty cheap these days. You only need to partially bury them, in a 3-sided mini-pillbox, instead of a huge pit-type structure large enough to house humans. It may even be substantially cheaper then having to dig/build a "pit" safe enough for people. Sure, the occasional camera may be sacrificed to a stray .50BMG, but they are cheap enough to replace. You could do something where members get one free camera/pillbox replacement per year, after that, you shoot it, you buy it.

If they really wanted to get fancy, link all the camera feeds to big screen "spectator" monitors too. It would be great for competitions.

#18 njJoniGuy

njJoniGuy
  • LocationGlou County

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

Jon,

Not sure why your member friend was not in the pits while you were on the line to score your shots.

Cell phones (or texting) works at Cumberland for comms between the line and the pits.

If you had a 300yd zero, it's just a matter of elevation to get on paper at 600.

After all, the target board is 6 feet square and your 6.5 Creedmoor is a pretty flat shooter (as are all 6.5 cartridges)

Yes, at 600yds a small sighting error goes a long way.

During Saturday's 3x600 match, my brain's comm with my trigger finger faltered and I had a slightly off-center (2 o'clock) sight picture and was lucky to score a 7 on that shot!

At that distance, you can't hold over. You must adjust your sights so that a consistent proper sight picture gives you a center hit. Judging a holdover is a surefire recipe for failure.

There's one more 600yd prone shoot this season.

Saturday October 5, registration at 0800, first shot at 0900

http://www.cumberlan...m/mrfclass.html

Questions? Post them here or IM me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Long range, 1000 yds, Shooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users