checko

Ok so I think I'm in the market for my first .22

Got a couple permits ready next week and debating what to get. I dont have a .22 yet and like the thought of having a cheap ammo in large supply. I have a short list which I am sort of on the fence about. You'll notice the Buckmarks and Mark iii's and such arent appealing to me. I'm looking for what I hesitate to call a "fighting" style pistol.

1. Sig 1911-22 in OD I dont know if I ought to just buy the AA .22 conversion for my Colt

2. Ruger SR22 Reviews seem good but I'm not sure if its too small and heard not great things about the trigger

3. M&P22 Seems like a nice pistol but I'm not a huge fan of the M&P line.

4. Walther P22 Tried it once and it felt like a toy. Kinda why I'm afraid of getting the Ruger. Pretty much last.

Looking to spend around 400. Anyone have thoughts or any other suggestions?

I'm a HUGE fan of the Ruger Mark 2/3 series, so I'd like to reccomend you to reconsider, but if you already made your mind up so be it.

I've shot the M&P22, which belongs to a shooting buddy. It's been problematic for him, And personally I do not like they way they feel. Feels to much like a toy ( as do most the all plastic 22s )

The Sig 1911-22 / GSG 1911 - From what i've observed, they've been hit or miss. I've seen more than one that cannot get through a string of 25 rounds without jamming at least once or twice. But i've also seen the odd ball out, who runs pretty good most the time. Again, IMO - They are hit or miss.

Lastly, IMO - a Ruger Mark 2/3 w/ bull barrel is the best .22 pistol money can buy. It actually feels like a real gun and has some weight to it due it's steel design. Mine has been the most accurate / fastest / and realiable pistol I own. I've shot probably over 10,000 rounds through it so far this year and I can count on one hand how many times i've had a issue ( mostly ammo related )

Good luck with your choice.

Well here's the thing, my other permit will be going to a ruger 22/45 that I will be keeping in my possesion until my brother has the adequate licenses. (No its not a straw purchase, It will be my gun in my possesion at all times until he is ready to buy it off of me.) So I'll have that for the time being. I don't really like them to begin with so I'm exploring other options.

I definitley know abouty their great reliability and accuracy. No debate there.

The walther and ruger are too small and toy like. The m&p is full sized, just like a m&p9 without the changeable back straps. It is a little on the light side and just doesn't have a solid feel to it. I have one with about 5000 rounds through it and it runs great as long as I don't load the mags to 12. I also have a Sig 1911-22 waiting for me as soon as my permits get here. It definitely feels more like a real gun and not toy like at all. I'm just hoping I get a good one.

If you like the feel of the full size pistol you might just want to get a 1911 .22 conversion. If you are looking for a dedicated my brother purchased a sig 1911 .22 which is basically the GSG pistol with a lifetime warrenty. He has had it for over a year and its been an excellent gun. The only drawback is the slide is light and the mag holds ten rounds but they are really nice! If you wanted greater capasity you could go wth a Sig Mosquito.

http://www.sigsauer....ls/1911-22.aspx

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-mosquito.aspx

I have big hands, and still feel comfortable with my SR22. Its a great gun. I have about 1000rds through without a single malfunction. It has a much more solid feel than the M&P in my opinion. The trigger kind of sucks in DA, but SA is great. I would buy again definitely

Alec, stop watching me shoot mine... lol While I do have the occasional issue with my GSG1911-22 but I do use bulk ammo but really like the gun and it's fun to shoot.

My father picked up the SR22, I like it, but for a plinker it's fine, if you plan on shooting OBRAMS or Static Steel I'd pick another.

With that said, if I could only have 1 22LR Handgun, it would be the Ruger MKII or MKIII, especially the MKIII Hunter like my wife has. Just an all around great gun for anything you want to do with it IMHO.

Alec, stop watching me shoot mine... lol While I do have the occasional issue with my GSG1911-22 but I do use bulk ammo but really like the gun and it's fun to shoot.

My father picked up the SR22, I like it, but for a plinker it's fine, if you plan on shooting OBRAMS or Static Steel I'd pick another.

With that said, if I could only have 1 22LR Handgun, it would be the Ruger MKII or MKIII, especially the MKIII Hunter like my wife has. Just an all around great gun for anything you want to do with it IMHO.

Would you consider the 1911-22 a better gun for steel? I'm not shooting any now but may in the future.

I have big hands, and still feel comfortable with my SR22. Its a great gun. I have about 1000rds through without a single malfunction. It has a much more solid feel than the M&P in my opinion. The trigger kind of sucks in DA, but SA is great. I would buy again definitely

I'll second that (although I don't have big hands). Plus, as others have noted, it handles any ammo. I run Federal bulk through mine without any problems.

Would you consider the 1911-22 a better gun for steel? I'm not shooting any now but may in the future.

a lot of us run 1911 .22s for steel -- none of us have had zero malfunctions -- everyone I've seen is running bulk pack ammo - switch to Mini Mags and it'll probably run better

Now the ruger MK series usually runs flawlessly with bulk pack ammo -- I guess it just depends how serious you are shooting steel -- I find the 1911 a ton of fun but if I want to be fast I'll shoot the MKIII hunter

a lot of us run 1911 .22s for steel -- none of us have had zero malfunctions -- everyone I've seen is running bulk pack ammo - switch to Mini Mags and it'll probably run better

Now the ruger MK series usually runs flawlessly with bulk pack ammo -- I guess it just depends how serious you are shooting steel -- I find the 1911 a ton of fun but if I want to be fast I'll shoot the MKIII hunter

I hear good things about the upgrades for the sig/gsg1911-22.

i think most are here:

http://www.cwaccessories.com/Products.html

If my PD holds true to form, I should have my permits this week. As soon as I get them, i will be picking up my Sig. You are welcome to try the Sig and M&P side by side.

I appreciate the offer but by the time we're both free I'll probably have bought one haha.

i have the sr22. i love it. i dont think it feels like a toy at all. i love that it eats up any ammo you feed it. From the research i did, alot of .22 pistols are picky on ammo. ruger shoots cheap bulk ammo with no problem. plus its the cheapest on your list i think. its on sale right now for 288. thats a steal

http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-sr22-pistol-22lr-black-35-10rd-57389

Is there any reason some of you guys say that the Ruger ISN"T a good pistol for steel? The more reviews I read the better it looks.

I don't know that it's not good for steel. I guess the shorter sight radius would make the longer shots a little tougher. Nothing a little practice wouldn't fix though. My only problem with the SR22 is the overall size of the gun.