TheLugNutZ

A heads up on the M&P Shield - MA Compliant (10lb) trigger issue

Stumbled on a thread on a M&P forum about non-Massachusetts people receiving MA compliant pistols. The MA compliant firearms have a 10lb trigger.

I just picked up mine last week and have yet to fire it live, but while dry-firing i noticed the trigger felt quite heavy. Certainly heavier than the one i fired that someone else owned. Now i know its new and needs to be broken in, but it got me thinking that i may have been sold a MA compliant pistol by mistake.

Supposedly if the SKU is: 180050 or 180051 you have yourself a 10lb triggered M&P Shield.

Im going to check mine tonight, but this is just a heads up for everyone. The people that i read about had no problems sending the gun back to S&W and having the appropriate items replaced correcting the problem...

AFAIK, there is no trigger pull requirement in MA law. It may be possible that the heavier trigger pull is the result of some added component that was used to bring the gun into compliance. I believe that MA requires a magazine disconnect safety (and it may be these components that are suspect) and also a loaded chamber indicator, which could also be a contributor dependent on how they accomplish this. Most manufacturers just provide a hole in the chamber hood for visualinspection, but some guns use linkages to some kind of visual & tactile indicator. Really don't know if that is what is going on, but a minimum trigger pull is not part of MA law.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

You are mostly correct. However MA does have certain standards that must be met in order for dealers to sell them in MA. Based on these safety standards and drop test standards, the firearms are added to a list of compliant firearms that may be sold by MA FFL's. As such, the trigger pull is almost always higher than non-MA compliant models. So that there may not be a 10# requirement, that does seem to be the standard for becoming MA compliant (in terms of a dealers ability to sell). That is why MA models have a increased trigger pull weight. It is intentional.

I'll correct myself - after a little further research, it appears that a 10# pull is one of the requirements, that and a loaded chamber indicator and an external safety of some kind. I wasn't able to find anything about a magazine disconnect safety either as required or not required.

Never thought I'd find gun laws more complicated and tedious than NJ's, but I think MA has just become the leader of the nanny states with regard to gun laws.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Here's a guide that can give inspiration: http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf the striker block work starts about 3/4 through. That's for a full-size but the fire controls are the same for the Shield.

I did mine by putting a small dremel bit in the spring hole of the striker block and chucking it in a drill. Then 1000 grit paper to round the edge and finally compound and a cloth to get the mirror finish.