mx597turbo

Very bad experience at Targetmaster in Chadds Ford, PA

As a point of reference, I recently went shooting on vacation at Calibers in Albuquerque, NM. I had a great time, the staff was very friendly and professional. I shot a S&W M4 full auto, and the MP9 handgun.

I decided to treat my wife to some full auto shooting, so we made the 3+ hour trip from north NJ to Targetmaster. This was a complete waste of a day and gas and toll money.

We got to the place around 2pm, and it was pretty crowded. Inside, there were groups of people near all the counters, and no discernible lines. I saw a sign for the range, with about 8 people in front of us waiting in line. I got in line behind them, and they all were taken care of at the register. I noticed as we got closer to the register that the old guy at the counter was extremely rude to the 2 groups in front of us. Finally it was our turn at the register, and he says "the line starts over there," and points near the door. At this point, we decided this place wasn't worth the $150 we were about to drop on rentals and ammo, and decided to leave and drive another 3+ hours home. Needless to say, we will never go there again. On top of losing my business today, I won't be bringing my two brothers either, which I had planned to do in the future.

I saw this place got some positive reviews in the past, but either it has gone downhill lately, or the old man there needs to retire if he hates his job so much.

That does suck. I would imagine it might be hard to get a fair assessment of most gun stores the last few weeks considering how crazy they all must be. That said, it's your money and there are plenty of good places to spend it out there.

Targetmaster is always a zoo for the range on weekends and other common time off. Middle of the work week, it's dead. However, after being swept by incredibly careless gun owners on a couple of occassions, and the "RSO" (quoted as I use the term only for what should be and not what Targetmaster has) doing ZIP about it (keep in mind I'm an instructor and RSO) I will not return for shooting. You don't mention where you're from so we could maybe help you find a better alternative.

Any other places relatively accessible to NJ that rent full auto?

I know that Classic Pistol allows full-auto, but I don't know if the have any F/A rentals. Worth a call and closer to you than Targetmaster. They are in the Trevose/Southampton, PA area...

http://www.classicpistol.com/

I did the PA Gun Store Tour yesterday with two members from the board. We went to five PA gunstores and they were all packed. I have never seen them this busy. Shelves and gun racks were greatly depleted. Not a good time to "recreate", a lot of the store personnel were burned out, or at the least dead tired. Be patient.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: One member of our party was successful in obtaining the prize they desired and I was sorely tempted - but managed to resist, for now (I was tempted twice - both wheelguns - go figure.)

I`ve never been to Targetmaster but very tempted to try full auto since i have not shot FA in many years. I was thinking about going to this place. Maybe Sunset Hill is a better option after your review.

Was at Clayton`s in PA the other day since i had a lunch meeting right next door and stopped by Tanner`s on the way back home. A lot of tired personell and a lot of them do appear overwhelmed........still shame on Targetmaster about this since the OP drive all day to get there.

@ Pizza Bob......

Ever since the re-election/ban talk and the events this month your words from the Starbucks Meetup in June keep ringing in my ear : REVOLVERS ARE COMING BACK......REVOLVERS ARE COMING BACK........REVOLVERS......................

@ Pizza Bob......

Ever since the re-election/ban talk and the events this month your words from the Starbucks Meetup in June keep ringing in my ear : REVOLVERS ARE COMING BACK......REVOLVERS ARE COMING BACK........REVOLVERS......................

As far as I'm concerned, they never left! Have not had the pleasure of meeting up with Pizza Bob yet, but I do know from our mutual path crossing amongst forums that he and I have similar affinity for Smith revolvers...

Pizza Bob, do tell, do tell us what revolvers were tempting you! I haven't seen anything appealing in some time locally, but I've been overseas for awhile till recently. I did pick up an exquisite 5" Pre-29 4-screw complete with proper 6.5" factory box and driver during my 2-day layover in Texas.

Tempted by:

1) 2.5" model 66. Nothing special, but the price was terrific

2) Still thinking about this one - and not a Smith - an absolutely pristine (looked unfired) 4" Colt Daimondback in .22 LR. No box, no papers and no OE grips (had non-Colt Pachmayr's on it). It was too nice to shoot. Missing things a collector would want, so it would have been a safe queen. Price was pretty good.

Ran across two 3" Smith .44 Mags. one a 629 - some kind of special anniversary edition (Talo or Horton maybe?)- had dates laser etched on the barrel and it was magnaported. The other a 29-3 (no P&R) that was in very good to excellent shape. Both priced decently.

I love 5" N-frames - it is the BEST barrel length for that size frame. I have a 625-2 and a 544 in 5".

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Went to targetmasters back in Sept for my bday. Was treated with respect the whole time. A few of the younger folks helped me out (including a very pretty girl I remember). One guy even mentioned how "hough" it was for me to bring my m9, 1911, and at lol.

I rented a ump and had the RO check in on my several times just to make sure all is well. I asked if there was a 3rd auto limit or so. He said "nah some places make you do that, fugg that you're here to have fun".

I had a great time. Would go back when its not pandemonium out there.

Tempted by:

1) 2.5" model 66. Nothing special, but the price was terrific

2) Still thinking about this one - and not a Smith - an absolutely pristine (looked unfired) 4" Colt Daimondback in .22 LR. No box, no papers and no OE grips (had non-Colt Pachmayr's on it). It was too nice to shoot. Missing things a collector would want, so it would have been a safe queen. Price was pretty good.

Ran across two 3" Smith .44 Mags. one a 629 - some kind of special anniversary edition (Talo or Horton maybe?)- had dates laser etched on the barrel and it was magnaported. The other a 29-3 (no P&R) that was in very good to excellent shape. Both priced decently.

I love 5" N-frames - it is the BEST barrel length for that size frame. I have a 625-2 and a 544 in 5".

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yeah, I can appreciate the 66. I find them hard to resist when they cross my path regardless if collector grade or shooter. I often use the 66s in dealing for others! I've been looking for a nice 4" again as I traded my shooter off last year to a member here.