JoeTK37

9mm Ammo choices

I'm brand new to this and not entirely certain what route is best to take.

It seems most shops are pretty low on the choices for 9mm and stocking(or only have at the current time) primarily the lighter 115gr and 124gr.

I understand the firearms themselves, and differences in grain weight and the affects, but what brands/models are total crap(for lack of a better term) and what is decent. I'm only looking for something for the range, I'm ok with the lighter weight/lower recoil and not totally concerned with pinpoint accuracy for the first few hundred rounds I shoot.

Right now I've got a box of CCI Blazer Brass 115gr and Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ, both of which may be garbage but they seemed the better of the choices at the shops I stopped in today, granted prices were a bit high.

So if you're heading the range to practice and work on technique what are you shooting?

Personally I shoot whatever the range has in stock that's least expensive. I'm a relatively new shooter though so I am also learning the ins and outs of ammo among other things. At home for defense purposes I have a mag loaded with Hornady Critical Defense, 115 grain. I'm planning on switching to Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +P when I can find some.

Joe,

CCI and Federal are both quality manufacturers. The Blazer and American Eagle ammo brands are great for range use. Personally I stay away from Remington UMC as there have been some issues with the assembly of their cartridges. PMC also makes quality ammo, but has been scarce lately.

I really haven't run into 'crap' in 9mm, at least not the way I have in .22LR (I'm looking specifically at you, Remington 'Golden' bullets), but it may be because I only buy brass-cased FMJ 9mm.

I think I've shot most of the 'cheap' 9mm through both my glock and CX4 including Remington UMC, PMC, Federal American Eagle, Magtech, Blazer Brass, Independence, Aguila and Sellier & Bellot and all of it was fine for range use.

I can remember about 2 malfunctions due to ammo out of thousands of rounds.

So far I've run 5 different brands of ammo through my 92FS and M&P 9 Pro.

1,000 rounds of Speer Lawman 115

1,600 rounds of Tula 115

400 rounds of Remington (from Dicks) 115

600 or 700 rounds of Aguillia 124

200 or 300 rounds of Wolf 115

I haven't had a single issue with any of them.

You will get many different opinions on the subject of ammo. For me, I buy the cheapest I can find online and when it's brass, only brass that can be reloaded. Between what I've shot and strays picked up at the range I've got enough to start that process...the reloading...and stop buying ammo online.

Your probably not going to feel a big difference in 115 vs. 124, and both you mentioned are fine. Now +p you will feel the difference but its still 9mm, not going to like shooting. 44mag.

For HD/SD I like Hornady CD myself and for my regular 9mm I reload 124gr bullets.

Regardless, get what you can find in these current time for a good price, and find out if your gun likes or doesn't like a particular ammo and go from there.

Here is the must, no matter what, you HD/SD ammo, learn how it works in your gun and how it shoots, it will be different than your plinking ammo, and when you need it, we'll that not the time to find out your gun doesn't like it..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So far I've run 5 different brands of ammo through my 92FS and M&P 9 Pro.

1,000 rounds of Speer Lawman 115

1,600 rounds of Tula 115

400 rounds of Remington (from Dicks) 115

600 or 700 rounds of Aguillia 124

200 or 300 rounds of Wolf 115

I haven't had a single issue with any of them.

You will get many different opinions on the subject of ammo. For me, I buy the cheapest I can find online and when it's brass, only brass that can be reloaded. Between what I've shot and strays picked up at the range I've got enough to start that process...the reloading...and stop buying ammo online.

Zactly, shoot what's cheap and your gun doesn't have problems with. Only comment is when shooting a match, be careful who's brass you pick up, no I'm not talking whoring someone else's brass, I'm talking about brass from someone that's shooting 9mm major loads. Best to stick to known good brass, and not something that's could be stressed, especially when just getting into reloading.

Only 9mm ammo I've ever run into a problem with was PrvI. Had a couple failure to fires. Checked my G22 (conversion barrel) and there was no firing pin issues. Gun shot fine with Federal (what i normally run).

Anything not steel I can get for around $12-$14 per 50 rounds....I buy.

Right now probably not too many places, but online sales, and/or free shipping deals have been good. Alway use the to your door price, Nike CTD and USAammo having good price per round deal now and then, the to your door price may not be that great.

Bulkammo. Com had good deals. Right now they're running 1,000 rounds of blazer brass or PmC for around 330

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

33 cents a round for 9mm?? Wow, times are getting bad if that's a good price.

I'm brand new to this and not entirely certain what route is best to take.

It seems most shops are pretty low on the choices for 9mm and stocking(or only have at the current time) primarily the lighter 115gr and 124gr.

I understand the firearms themselves, and differences in grain weight and the affects, but what brands/models are total crap(for lack of a better term) and what is decent. I'm only looking for something for the range, I'm ok with the lighter weight/lower recoil and not totally concerned with pinpoint accuracy for the first few hundred rounds I shoot.

Right now I've got a box of CCI Blazer Brass 115gr and Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ, both of which may be garbage but they seemed the better of the choices at the shops I stopped in today, granted prices were a bit high.

So if you're heading the range to practice and work on technique what are you shooting?

Honestly, it won't make that much difference at first - any 'inaccuracy' will come down to shooting fundamentals not being followed (grip, sights, trigger control, breadth control, follow through) so I'd suggest going for cheap brass ammunition. I typically buy Aguilla, American Eagle or Speer Lawman which were costing around $195 to $240 shipped for 1000 rounds pre-Sandy Hook.

I did some experimenting with a number of other brands and also with 115, 124 and 147gr. I personally found I preferred 124gr or 115gr however for standard range time I'm happy to use any of these. There are a number of online places that people recommend including SGAmmo, Natchez, TargetSportUSA, AmmunitionToGo, Palmetto State Armory, WeaponsWorld being a few that I usually check up when I'm buying.

Being new to the shooting sport/hobby/discipline myself I can say that the weight and type of ammunition shouldn't be a concern until you're more experienced and doing competitions.

If you haven't yet, then consider some formal training - you'll see from my prior posts that I've found GunForHire to be good but there are plenty of other options.

If you happen to be somewhere commutable to RTSP then PM me and we can see if we can meet up there one time. I have some fun and good drills I can put you through once you're comfortable with the fundamentals.

Enjoy!

TheWombat