DonG

Who is profiting off this tragety manufacturers distibuters sales ??

Id like to know if anyone has good info on who is actually profiting off of this past tragic shooting... ie cheaper than dirt selling 556 for 1000 round for 1000 dollars.. scumbags..... Im more looking for who NOT to do business with.. Thanks for your reply Don

If prices don't rise, supply disappears. I don't like it, but it is the truth.

There are a few ways to look at this

for example. if your store would sell 20 cases of 9mm daily for 200.00 but you can get your hands on 9mm ammo so find 10 cases and sell those in 10 min for 400.00 then your out again.

is that profit or are you selling higher since you can find stock to sell. a store is useless with out stuff to sell

Nope it really isn't. Hoarding and gouging apply to necessities like food and gasoline, not to things you want but don't technically need. We have a thread about this like every other week. You can aim your anger at your government for instigating a rush, but what you are asking for is price controls .. imposed by .. the government? You have a choice, you can do business with people or not.

But in a normal free market, manufacturers would potentially ramp up production or expand to meet demand. The gun market is exclusive as to its quandry of over-producing vs potential looming bans. Any other market would see this as a great reason to expand their business. This is why gun buyers get it in both ends.

Nope it really isn't. Hoarding and gouging apply to necessities like food and gasoline, not to things you want but don't technically need. We have a thread about this like every other week. You can aim your anger at your government for instigating a rush, but what you are asking for is price controls .. imposed by .. the government? You have a choice, you can do business with people or not.

very subjective what is necessary or not. what if I live in the swamp & need ammo to hunt gator food?

What if I live in a dangerous neighborhood & "need" to defend myself in a run down apartment?

What if my crazy ex-girlfriend was stalking me & the order of protection does little to protect me?

How does hoarding not apply with ammo and guns..specifically in todays situation..people with the time and money are on the internet all day soaking up every round of ammo, every part kit, lowers etc with intentions of sitting on it because of a possible ban, or reselling it to profit off it. And let cut it out with the free market nonsense. Dealers who buy wholesale, markup a reasonable amount, sell and take their profit is free market, not people scouring the net in times of uncertainty to get whatever scraps they can to resell and take 100-200%markups. All we are doing is turning people away from the sport when they see the ridiculous prices for ammo and certain guns. We can certainly use all of the people in the sport we can get. And no one is asking for govt price controls, just a little self discipline and respect among shooters. Sure you can do business elsewhere, but Ill take Lunker's advice and avoid those who enjoyed profitting in times of distress.

Look, you can twist this in your mind any way you want. The simple answer is that if you want to live in a free world, you accept that free people will charge what the market will bear. If seller X can sell a widget for $1 trillion to buyer Y, then that is the price of the widget as agreed by the market. The fact that the widget was $1 yesterday and that you and I were priced out of the market overnite is the price of living free. It is intellectually dishonest to say your gun ownership is a sign of freedom but then complain that someone is able to make a transaction on the open market for what the market will bear.

Look, you can twist this in your mind any way you want. The simple answer is that if you want to live in a free world, you accept that free people will charge what the market will bear. If seller X can sell a widget for $1 trillion to buyer Y, then that is the price of the widget as agreed by the market. The fact that the widget was $1 yesterday and that you and I were priced out of the market overnite is the price of living free. It is intellectually dishonest to say your gun ownership is a sign of freedom but then complain that someone is able to make a transaction on the open market for what the market will bear.

You are being challenged on the fact you claim arms & ammo are not necessities.

Tell that to the natives who live in Alaska hunting for their food. I guess they ought go back to throwing rocks at wild game when the ammo is exhausted.

Oh wait. That's right. There's probably a welfare office in Alaska hundreds of miles away. I guess all of them can apply for food stamps in a harsh & deserted environment where only small planes can enter.

Then stop voting for progessives (democrats). They don't care about you.

Republicans are not much better, but at least they have a conscience.

They love cashing in on tragedies with new laws that stop nothing. Nothing will change. Crime will continue. Attack crime and it will stop.

That's work nobody wants to do!

This is a contrived shortage by your goverment (Barry's been at this a long time).

This is not a free market. Goverment has manipulated the market. Do you really think if there were no pending AWB that AR's would not be plentiful and cheap?

How is it Cuomo and NY will be the first to "break the ice"? Think about it.

They are playing us right where they want us.

Healthcare

Then Guns (earlier than expected)

Then Energy

Then new world order.

Before you know it they will be the monopoly they fought so hard to take away from private industry. Power Trip! And you will be living hand to mouth like the Chinese, while a new group will be in the catbird's seat.

Jefferson and Franklin were way ahead of their time. History repeats itself over and over. I am afraid the only way this global mess will end is with WW3, and this time it will be fought on our turf, and I'm not so sure we will win.

You are being challenged on the fact you claim arms & ammo are not necessities.

Tell that to the natives who live in Alaska hunting for their food. I guess they ought go back to throwing rocks at wild game when the ammo is exhausted.

Oh wait. That's right. There's probably a welfare office in Alaska hundreds of miles away. I guess all of them can apply for food stamps in a harsh & deserted environment where only small planes can enter.

Listen, your challenge is meaningless. Your anger is meaningless. Your displeasure at the prices is meaningless. I don't like the prices either, but that is also meaningless. For some reason you think you are entitled to low prices, and you are not. Get over it. What you are saying is no different that you are entitled to nicer car or a bigger house but don't want to pay they higher price.

You simply fail to understand that if the demand is high, and the prices stay low everyone loses money and then as everything gets bought up you yourself can not obtain the product no matter how much you want to pay because it doesn't exist.

I can tell you its not the manufacturers. Most of them were already running at full capacity so this hasnt changed. The new challenges have been materials, parts, ammo to test fire. The reflection in increased manufacturing costs are of courese going to be reflected in price but for the most part it has been contained. I find it hard to fault distributers as well because of the clear uncertainty of the situation but some certainly have exceeded what most would consider fair. But again that is hard to evaluate because its a "manufactured" emergency. I think its a bit different than charging $50 for a gallon of water in an actual disaster scenario and a true humanitarian need. The secondary market is where, depending on your view, the "profit, a$$ raping, gouging, etc etc has occured. But again, considering there is a risk of never being able to replace what you sell, what is a fair price? I admit to being astounded seeing semiauto rifles fetching 4k and pistols closing in on 2k but it is happening by the tens of thousands of times a day I suspect. Just who is buying this stuff is curious to me, however.

I love how the same people who say that everyone has a 2A right to guns(including AR types) and that we should not give up that right under any circumstances(I completely agree), are also the same people who think pricing people out of guns and ammo is acceptable in the name of a free market, isnt the goal here to get more people shooting?

Catching up on some previous posts, it seems to me some have funny idea about the profit margins in the firearms industry! I also think many fail to realise that in almost all cases, giving a lower price is simply handing your profit over to someone else. I like what one distributer did. He took the current market price of mags, but donates the difference. They earned my respect.

http://www.skdtac.com/Magpul-PMAG-Gen-M3-30-rnd-AR-M4-p/mag.502.htm

I love how the same people who say that everyone has a 2A right to guns(including AR types) and that we should not give up that right under any circumstances(I completely agree), are also the same people who think pricing people out of guns and ammo is acceptable in the name of a free market, isnt the goal here to get more people shooting?

Absolutely. If you know someone who wants to buy a gun and ammo why don't you sell them yours? How much would you charge them?

Let me ask you this question. If tomorrow the President bans all ammunition sales and your ammunition vendor goes out of business will you be sending him a check to feed his family?

jrfly3006, blaming the market reaction to the gun grabers is like blaming guns for shootings. The cause, the gun grabers, has had the effect of a run on all available products. The gun grabers are the cause, not the reaction. Blame them. In a free market the fattest wallets win. Thats the way it is. I love my fellow gun owners but I dont thing any of them are going to link hands in a circle and sing the song of making sure everyone has theirs. Are those panic buying really my fellow shooter? I suspect not. Or are they they cricket that pointed and laughed when we all worked hard to aquire and stow away what we felt was imprtant to have only to now have said cricket crying at the door he is cold and hungry...and gunless!

Listen, your challenge is meaningless. Your anger is meaningless. Your displeasure at the prices is meaningless. I don't like the prices either, but that is also meaningless. For some reason you think you are entitled to low prices, and you are not. Get over it. What you are saying is no different that you are entitled to nicer car or a bigger house but don't want to pay they higher price.

You simply fail to understand that if the demand is high, and the prices stay low everyone loses money and then as everything gets bought up you yourself can not obtain the product no matter how much you want to pay because it doesn't exist.

I'm not talking about govt rationing. I'm talking about self regulation in the industry. Why is it that some greedy vendors can grab all the stock before it ever hits the open market? Why not have honest distributors & vendors who slowly release in demand products one at a time at decent prices?

I ask you AGAIN would you part with what you have now at the prices from yesterday? Will you write a check to the vendor so he can feed his family when he has nothing to sell?

That's not a fair question. We don't buy stuff to resell.

We are not profiteers.

I ask you AGAIN would you part with what you have now at the prices from yesterday? Will you write a check to the vendor so he can feed his family when he has nothing to sell?

Ill ask you why some vendors are selling at or near pre-newtown prices, while others felt the need to go up 100-200%..if it was truly supply induced..wouldnt EVERYONE be selling at the top pricepoint?

Show me the vendor with inventory at pre Newt pricing please. One thing I have noticed about the shooting community, they often fail to differentiate between business and being pro2A. They are not they same! Although many gun and gun related business' are also pro2a, they are by and large a business first! As a business you pick your strategy and march on. If you believe in a long haul strategy, that will likely reflect in your pricing. Not all have this strategy. Consider this whole thing the same as a run on the bank. You want your money out before it collapses! What comes out of Obama's mouth in the next 48 hours could effectively end A LOT of careers and lively hoods. Preparing for that possibility is a business stratagy for sure. The pro 2a consumer often erroneously thinks the gun business is going to employ counter productive business practices because of the cause. It just isnt so. When I release products to the civy market every once in a while, do you know how many fights I have with people demanding, DEMANDING I sell the product at a loss because "we are all gun guys"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jrfly, do this, go pick 10 populer semiauto pistols on GB. Say a P30 and a FNX45. Put them on your watch list. Tell me how many are still there tomorrow even at 175% pricing they are currently at!

That's not a fair question. We don't buy stuff to resell.

We are not profiteers.

Of course it is a fair question. It is a market. Everything has a price. I'll pay you right now $5.99 for any .223 ammo you have. I bet it is worth a LOT more to you than that. It fact it might be priceless. Maybe if I offered you $1000 per box you would part with it. That doesn't make you personally a profiteer, it just means that at a certain price you will part with certain things.

Ill ask you why some vendors are selling at or near pre-newtown prices, while others felt the need to go up 100-200%..if it was truly supply induced..wouldnt EVERYONE be selling at the top pricepoint?

Nope, that would smack of collusion. Vendors can make their own decisions and I applaud those that choose to stay at old prices but they are taking a huge gamble. They are gambling that prices will come down, that legislation won't stop them from existing and that when everything gets back to some form of normal you will prefer to do business with them instead of someone who raised prices. I hope they are right, but if they are not they have removed potential earnings from themselves and their families.