Howard

Which type of round for self defense

I was reading on another forum (I'm sorry for not being loyal) a suggestion from a LEO as to what round he would use for home defense. What he said was that in his Glock G22 he uses five rounds of JHP that are then followed by FMJ rounds. The thinking is that if five rounds of hollow point don't take care of the intruder it is likely that something with more penetration power is needed. I would be interested on comments about this approach.

I have hornady critical defense in the downstairs 9mm and hornady zombie max in the upstairs bedside 45. I understand that I'm probably screwed if I ever 'used' the zombie max but its all I have right now besides FMJ as far as 45 is concerned. Even though zombie max is basically critical defense with a green tip, I tend to think it would be a prosecutors wet dream due to the name. I hope to find some more suitable 45 in the near future.

45 jhp in all my autos...oh yea, if that don't work i now have a 44 mg hp 629 :-)...tried the shotgun route but i think pistols/rev are much more appropo for agility and monuverability in home. For close quarters - really close quarters like a home, use the biggest badest round you feel comfortable shooting.

I've got 3 mags in the bedside safe. The gun is loaded 10+1 with jhp with another 10 round mag loaded with those as well. The other 2 mags are FMJ, but if I can't get it done with the first 20 rounds I'm probably screwed anyway

I'm laughing like hell,, I have my shotgun ready with no. 4 shells.. says they are not supposed to go through walls and what not.. nice tight pattern.. If I hit you with a couple of those and you survive,, your getting much more to follow.. LOL

I also have flat nose rounds ready to go.. hell if you get hit by that.. it's gonna hurt like hell, and I can't imagine it won't kill ya..

2, 15rd mags with 124gr. +P JHP.

If the first 15 don't help, I'll be using the second mag to work my way to the downstairs 12ga. (7rds 00 buckshot)

Then again, Sweeney want to close the hollow point "loophole" so maybe I'll just throw my shoes at armed intruders in the future?

WTF

2, 15rd mags with 124gr. +P JHP.

If the first 15 don't help, I'll be using the second mag to work my way to the downstairs 12ga. (7rds 00 buckshot)

Then again, Sweeney want to close the hollow point "loophole" so maybe I'll just throw my shoes at armed intruders in the future?

WTF

LOVE IT... lmao

For a member of public in NJ your self defense scenario is most likely to be at home (or out of state) since it is almost impossible to get a carry permit in NJ.

A typical 9mm round can travel for about 2 miles if it doesn't hit anything. A FMJ round can easily pass through multiple walls of a house, whereas a Hollow Point round will typically not. In the case of self defense at home you are unlikely to want to have your rounds traveling through walls/doors since you could have children, neighbors or other people that could be harmed. It also most likely would not look so good in court if your rounds penetrated a neighbors house.

It is rare that criminals undertaking home invasions wear body armor, at least I have not seen it in the reports. If your first few shots to the body don't neutralize the threat then put a couple of rounds through the head and/or pelvis area. Even with body armor the invader is still going to feel the hit and be distracted. At this point it is likely they would vacate the premises. From a training perspective it is well worth while having some training drills you do at the range, with your home defense weapon and ammunition that includes 2,1,1 shots and other drills. Also include magazine changes.

9mm +P, 40S&W or .45ACP are all calibers used by a variety of police forces throughout the nation. As for which particular brand of Hollow Point to use - best thing to do is to try a few and see which ones work most reliably in your firearm. I typically use Speer Gold Dot +P in 9mm and .45ACP and find it reliable in the firearms I use.

Taking a beeper/timer to the range to act upon can add some level of stress which is good for training. If you have an iPhone there is also a reasonable shot timer as an iPhone app that is free. Some simple drills could include:.

a) beep, take firearm and fire 3 shots in 'x' seconds while being appropriately accurate. Repeat at 5,7,10,15,25 yards

b) beep, take firearm and fire 2 shots to center mass/body, 2 to head and 2 to pelvis etc.

c) beep, take firearm and fire some shots - use a Par time functionality to have a random second beep where you then have to do a mag change

d) beep, take firearm and fire some shots - but also include some snap caps to mimic a failure etc.

Hollow Points are legal in NJ for use in the home (and practice at the range)

hth

TheWombat

hth

TheWombat

I thought hollow points were basically illegal in the state of NJ the second any citizen walks out of a gun store with them in his posesssion? Please point me where I can read that I am wrong on that because I am very interested. I have a box of Winchester HP that I just bought years ago in NH because it only cost me about $13. I leave my .40 loaded with standard ammo, but if I can legally use it for home protection, I will reload with HP.

I thought hollow points were basically illegal in the state of NJ the second any citizen walks out of a gun store with them in his posesssion? Please point me where I can read that I am wrong on that because I am very interested. I have a box of Winchester HP that I just bought years ago in NH because it only cost me about $13. I leave my .40 loaded with standard ammo, but if I can legally use it for home protection, I will reload with HP.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."

N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;

2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;

3.A person going directly to a target range, and;

4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

I have hornady critical defense in the downstairs 9mm and hornady zombie max in the upstairs bedside 45. I understand that I'm probably screwed if I ever 'used' the zombie max but its all I have right now besides FMJ as far as 45 is concerned. Even though zombie max is basically critical defense with a green tip, I tend to think it would be a prosecutors wet dream due to the name. I hope to find some more suitable 45 in the near future.

Why would it e prosecutes wet dream? That's not even considered a hollow point.

Why would it e prosecutes wet dream? That's not even considered a hollow point.

I understand purchasing and storage, but it was my understanding if you use it at your house as self defense, youre going to jail. Either way, I just hope I never have to worry about a day like that.

legal to use in the same places as a handgun. Using them in your home as self defense is not a crime. Using them at a range is not a crime. Transporting them from home to range and back is not a crime. Selling them to another person with matching ID is not a crime. If you have to use them in an HD situation you won't care as long as you are still alive to talk about it

it's a crime to use hollow points in committing a crime from what I understand so hollow points are not illegal. guys I really like this subject of talking about what ammo is good and stuff but you really shouldnt talk about what weapon is on what floor in your home or in what room, it's a little too much information in my IMO... underwood hollow points used here...

I understand purchasing and storage, but it was my understanding if you use it at your house as self defense, youre going to jail. Either way, I just hope I never have to worry about a day like that.

it's a crime to use hollow points in committing a crime from what I understand so hollow points are not illegal. guys I really like this subject of talking about what ammo is good and stuff but you really shouldnt talk about what weapon is on what floor in your home or in what room, it's a little too much information in my IMO... underwood hollow points used here...

http://lis.njleg.sta...=Doc_Frame_PG42

Please read this.

2C:39-3f(1)

2C:39-3g(2)(a)

2C:39-6f

2C:39-6g

It is important to note what the law does NOT say, along with what it does say.

The law does NOT deal with the discharging of hollowpoint ammunition, nor does it deal with the discharging of any ammunition other than incendiary and tracer.

It DOES say where one may possess hollowpoint ammunition.

Not a lawyer, just my opinion. IF you ever have to use a firearm in self defense, the type of ammunition has no bearing on whether or not you are going to jail, imo. Either it was a good shoot and therefore a justified homicide, or it was a bad shoot and therefore murder/manslaughter. Good/bad shoot depends on the circumstances that lead to the shooting, not the tools used. If it was a good shoot you could have stabbed him to death or threw him out a window, lethal force is lethal force, the tool which is used to deliver the force is irrelevant.

I use hollowpoints in my self defense gun at home, the reason is primarily because I wish to reduce the chances of over-penetration and accidentally ventilating my neighbors' houses. It's just good luck that hollowpoints also have the effect of possibly making me shoot the threat fewer times.

If the threat is wearing armor, which is highly unlikely, the pelvis is probably a better target than the head, especially in a high stress situation. It moves less, is bigger, and still holds plenty of things that will stop the threat, though not as quickly as the head.

2C:39-3f. Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, or\

2C:39-3g(2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, nor shall subsection f. (1) be construed to prevent any licensed retail or wholesale firearms dealer from possessing such ammunition at its licensed premises, provided that the seller of any such ammunition shall maintain a record of the name, age and place of residence of any purchaser who is not a licensed dealer, together with the date of sale and quantity of ammunition sold.

2C:39-6 f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2)A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

©In the case of a firearm, directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any rifle or pistol club, or any firearms collectors club, for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to the members of the organization or club, provided, however, that not less than 30 days prior to the exhibition or display, notice of the exhibition or display shall be given to the Superintendent of the State Police by the sponsoring organization or club, and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate. Any firearms transported pursuant to this section shall be transported in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(4)A person from keeping or carrying about a private or commercial aircraft or any boat, or from transporting to or from such vessel for the purpose of installation or repair a visual distress signaling device approved by the United States Coast Guard.

2C:39-6g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

62gr soft points in the AR

THIS....

it may be a little off topic but..

ideally any 223/556 ammo fired out of a carbine... a carbine is more stable than a handgun.. 223/556 is less likely to overpenetrate a wall and do damage on the other side..

it is just a better option..

hth

TheWombat

Not if Steve Sweeney gets his way. We have a "hollow point bullet loophole", don't you know. :facepalm:

THIS....

it may be a little off topic but..

ideally any 223/556 ammo fired out of a carbine... a carbine is more stable than a handgun.. 223/556 is less likely to overpenetrate a wall and do damage on the other side..

it is just a better option..

But, but, Joe Biden says an AR-15 is harder to aim than a shotgun, and if you have a shotgun, you can just fire two blasts out your window if somebody tries to break into your house. :hunter: (Never has there been a more appropriate time for that smiley)

Not if Steve Sweeney gets his way. We have a "hollow point bullet loophole", don't you know. :facepalm:

But, but, Joe Biden says an AR-15 is harder to aim than a shotgun, and if you have a shotgun, you can just fire two blasts out your window if somebody tries to break into your house. :hunter: (Never has there been a more appropriate time for that smiley)

Yeah and shooting those blast in the air, you will have every cop in the city at your door!

lol he should come to the range with some of us for an afternoon.. its amazing what someone that is totally untrained to firearms thinks as reasonable..