Lalo

New Frontier LW-15 Builds

So with the whole lower shortage and price hike, I know a lot of folks who stocked up on these New Frontier LW-15 lowers perhaps from MidwestPX or other vendors because they were so easily available. Has anyone proceeded to finish their builds or at least got the lower put together? I recently did two builds with these lowers and ran into the figment issues that everyone seems to encounter. Nothing difficult to overcome with the help of a fine curved metal file and a little elbow grease and the outcome was not disappointing at all. I've seen videos where people try to adjust the figment with a Dremel tool and end up butchering the polymer. Anyway, if you have them, post pics of your builds and share your pains with your LPK installs. I'll throw some pics of mine tomorrow.

I picked up 2 of them and assembled one using a Core15 LPK and as was said before I needed to use some 160 grit sandpaper on the mag release well. Only other issue I am seeing is that I might have an issue with my Magpul magazines and the bolt release...it seems to be a somewhat common issue. Haven't finished assembling yet but should have one done soon.

Has anyone actually used the NFA poly LPK on their lowers? So far the concensus was junk'em for a metal LPK. I tried it out and will confirm that it's quite crappy. Wondering if a longer term use will butter them up.

nfabuilds.jpg

The one on the left is my wife's. It has 500s+ rounds through it with NFA poly LPK. The other is my old meets new (M4 PSA upper w/traditional Colt 4x scope) build. It has 800+ rounds through it. Neither has had an issue and the pull on these are better than metal LPK triggers in my "serious" ARs

Thanks for the info gski. Was there a break-in period for the poly FCG? I tried my friend's out and the pull was really hard before the break, then the trigger wouldn't reset without manually pushing it from behind. Seems like there maybe some flashing left from the casting that might be making everything all sticky. I know the tolerances are really tight, but I think it might be too much. We were running a 22 top on it so maybe the recoil was just too light for the break-in period. Was considering stripping it down and shaving off any casting lines to break it in faster.

My only comparisons are RR, Geissele and KAC 2-stage FCGs. All high quality goods. Maybe comparing apples to oranges in this case.

Thanks for the info gski. Was there a break-in period for the poly FCG? I tried my friend's out and the pull was really hard before the break, then the trigger wouldn't reset without manually pushing it from behind. Seems like there maybe some flashing left from the casting that might be making everything all sticky. I know the tolerances are really tight, but I think it might be too much. We were running a 22 top on it so maybe the recoil was just too light for the break-in period. Was considering stripping it down and shaving off any casting lines to break it in faster.

My only comparisons are RR, Geissele and KAC 2-stage FCGs. All high quality goods. Maybe comparing apples to oranges in this case.

You are welcome my friend. None of our 3 NFA lowers had any reset problems so you may be right about flashing gumming up the works. Your buddy may want to inspect for flashing. If there is any, a light dremel application should take care of it.

All 3 triggers were pretty good from the onset. they all seemed to really smooth out after 100 rounds of 223/5.56.

Cheers

Here is my built NFA lower with a PSA Moe parts kit. I had to do some serious reshaping of the mag catch release on both sides. The hole where the button goes tapered down inside, so I couldn't push it in far enough to tighten it. The selector holes only required very minor grinding. It was actually a fun project IMO. If you have a good Dremel, a variety of bits, and basic skills you should be fine. This lower is extremely light, can't wait to finish the upper. 3y6eju5a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have several for future builds.

My first one is about 300 rounds into it. I have been experiencing issues with tHe bolt catch engaging prematurely with rounds still in the mag. Changed several types of mags and it still engages prematurely. Some have resolved this with changing the buffer ( i have a complete lower from NFA).

Will see what happens. I ll report more as i try to get rid of this problem.

Looks great guys. Can you give a little more detail on the fitment issues and where exactly you had to adjust? I'm looking to use one of these lowers for a build. Would be very helpful. Thanks..!

From one of my posts in another forum...

Originally Posted By arkboy11:

I am having problems with my New Frontier lower. The mag release is a really tight fit and wont work back and forth like it is suppose to. Any suggestions??

This is not a problem that just you are having, all of their polymer lowers have that issue and it is up to you to fix it. I recently built two ARs with these lowers and each one had the same problem. Actually, you're probably going to have problem fitting all of these parts:

- Magazine Catch

- Magazine Catch Button

- Takedown Pin

- Pivot Pin

- Trigger/Hammer Pin

- Safety Selector

Some people who have a steady hand have used a Dremel with a small grinding wheel but if you're careful, you can easily take off too much material or worse yet, have it slip and damage other parts or the lower's finish. I ended up using small fine metal files like the ones pictured below. One side is flat and the other side is curved, kind of like a "D" shape.

9f1af503c381dc458a112cbcb49576db_zps4e167107.jpg

If your files are new and are sharp, it'll be pretty easy to remove enough material to be able to fit the part. Do it slow and take your time otherwise you'll end up taking off too much material and the part will fit too lose or the hole will be uneven.The D shape of the file helps when you have to enlarge the round holes for the various pins and safety selector. The key is to take a uniform amount of material throughout the circumference of the hole, otherwise you'll end up with an oval shape that will not only look ugly, but will cause the pin to be lose, etc.

I have one of these and wasn't sure if I'd use but they seem pretty good. I also noticed the lower on my scars are plastic as well (or at least like it).

:good: Rifles look good. Id be interested to know what the weight difference is with a poly lower and poly lpk compared to a standard aluminum lower and lpk. Anyone ever weigh thiers?

its really not much different we tested it out at my FFL's.. there was a lot of talk of the poly's being unbalanced rigles but i think that is with an all poly LPK.. when you have an all metal LPK the weight is only marginally different..

i think in the next few years the poly lower will be quite the norm..

think of the 1980's when they handed someone a "plastic" gun for the first time lol... double dog dare you to not see a glock at a range or gun store lol

Just test fitted my lower to my upper and realized that the charging handle is severely rubbing the lower. Material is going to have to be taken off there, you can actually see that now enough material was taken off in the manufacturing process. IMO the NFA lowers are being flooded into the market at an insanely fast rate and there quality control is atrocious.

IMO the NFA lowers are being flooded into the market at an insanely fast rate and there quality control is atrocious.

This is interesting to me and I agree even though I have no experience with these lowers or even an AR itself. I've been sitting on the sideline for months now waiting to decide what to do, buy a fully assembled complete rifle or attempt to do a hard task in my mind: build one myself. I've stayed away from the many "new frontier lowers available" threads, I just wasn't real comfortable jumping on one of these "deals". They certainly may work for some, but for a newbie looking to build their first I am inclined to reduce any potential obstacles I encounter during the build process.

I still don't know what I want to do......

Depends on the kjnd of person you are. I'm a tinkerer, and I actually prefer building guns more than shooting them.

This is interesting to me and I agree even though I have no experience with these lowers or even an AR itself. I've been sitting on the sideline for months now waiting to decide what to do, buy a fully assembled complete rifle or attempt to do a hard task in my mind: build one myself. I've stayed away from the many "new frontier lowers available" threads, I just wasn't real comfortable jumping on one of these "deals". They certainly may work for some, but for a newbie looking to build their first I am inclined to reduce any potential obstacles I encounter during the build process.

I still don't know what I want to do......

Lalo-

Appreciate the info man..! I just bought a set of files from Amazon in anticipation of the build. Wish me luck.

This will be my 2nd build but my 1st with these poly lowers.

And definitely don't be intimidated.. I'm a total r3tard when it comes to crafts and handy work but built my first AR just fine.

Definitely a rewarding experience vs buying a completed one..!

Just test fitted my lower to my upper and realized that the charging handle is severely rubbing the lower. Material is going to have to be taken off there, you can actually see that now enough material was taken off in the manufacturing process. IMO the NFA lowers are being flooded into the market at an insanely fast rate and there quality control is atrocious.

I had the exact same issue with my NFA lower mated to a Stag upper. Sanded it down and that fixed it... I put together another one with a Del-ton upper and the CH did not rub at all. But both needed some serious attention from the Dremel in the mag catch and safety selector area!!

I had to file down the area underneath the charging handle only if I wanted to use a standard CH. If I used my BCM, I was ok. Again, nothing a little filing couldnt fix in a few seconds.

If anyone in my area needs help or tools feel free to PM me and stop by. We'll bang it out in an hour.

The builds look good. I think the new frontier lower would look a lot better with a different trigger guard and without the logo.

Yes, its called an aluminum Spikes Lower :):):):):):):):):):)

......hahahahah.......sorry couldn't resist it.....

I was funny how the trigger guard sticks out

I have several for future builds.

My first one is about 300 rounds into it. I have been experiencing issues with tHe bolt catch engaging prematurely with rounds still in the mag. Changed several types of mags and it still engages prematurely. Some have resolved this with changing the buffer ( i have a complete lower from NFA).

Will see what happens. I ll report more as i try to get rid of this problem.

Put a Spikes H2 buffer and the problem with the bolt catch engaging prematurely is gone.