NJGunGeek1980

Pined Stock Question

if you use a magpul stock with a friction lock (ctr, str etc), you don't need to drill the extension, just the friction lock as it will not allow the lever to unlock the stock if the friction lock is closed...

I did this with a Colt/Rogers Super Stoc.

The CTR has a hole that you can use and just drill through the slide portion of the tube like I did. The friction lock hides the pin for a clean look(I hit the stock with the side of the drill bit so be careful).

post-5903-0-58060900-1363274641_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-40129300-1363274750_thumb.jpg

Drill out your old pin... goto lowes and get the smallest role pin they have... find a drill bit slightly smaller then the role pin.... use old hole in stock... collapse where comfortable... drill into buffer tube area that is behind the old hole... insert role pin.. and your done...

If I ever have to pin a Magpul stock again, this is what I'm going to try.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/607375_How_to_pin_an_MOE_Stock__for_ban_states_.html

Originally Posted By pedzola:

As I'm sure is the case with many of us here, I've recently completed a new AR15 build. Unfortunately, being in a ban state, I had to decide how to address CT legal requirements with an AWB-compatible stock.

As the selection of non-adjustable rifle stocks in the market leaves much to be desired, I decided to get a Magpul MOE stock and pin it to my preferred length.

There are a number of methods out there, but I think I found a perfect way to fix a stock that...

1) permanently fixes the stock to the buffer tube in a way that I believe would pass scrutiny,

2) does not damage the stock or the buffer tube, and is reversible,

3) and can be adjusted with simple tools in a few minutes if you need to change the stock length.

[span style=font-size: 12pt]

Instructions:

Zx3AVBs.jpg

1. Disassemble the pin mechanism of the stock. Use a punch and hammer to remove the roll pin holding the mechanism in place.

uxikkMm.jpg

2. Note that a .223/5.56 cartridge is approximately the same size as this mechanism. An empty cartridge is the basis for your new stock pin.

p4WMxMH.jpg

3. Push the shell into place in the stock, and mark it with a punch in order to act as a guide for drilling a hole.

Xdcx8I6.jpg

4. Drill a 3/32" hole in the shell where you marked it. I used a 1/16" bit to start and then drilled out the larger hole after. It can be tricky to drill straight, best to use a press with the shell firmly held in place.

xLnYNuK.jpg

5. Next mark the shell about a centimeter off the end for cutting.

KzTwxgM.jpg

6. Cut the shell with a pipe cutter (or hack saw, or whatever else you can cut it with...)

ovvwyU6.jpg

7. Cut a couple of small piece of heat-shrink tubing, and heat-shrink them over the end. This makes the diameter of the cartridge neck a little wider to fit in the stock holes better.

i30tIyt.jpg

8. Test fit the shell, perhaps wrap some tape around or add another layer of heat-shrink tubing if it needs a little extra. I find 2 layers of heat-shrink is fine.

HW7YlcI.jpg

9. Test fit the cartridge in your stock. Alternately, you could paint it first if you prefer black (or some other color) to the brass, which will show on the side of your stock.

XHaFBF4.jpg

10. Hammer the roll pin from the stock back through your new cartridge pin.

DONE. You now have a fixed stock, in whatever position you decided to attach it. [/span]

Note that I am not providing legal advice, however it is my humble opinion that this is now an acceptable fixed stock for CT, and probably other AWB states. It will require a hammer and punch in order to change the position of the stock, and cannot be done by hand.

As for the strength of this pin, it's just a brass cartridge so I wouldn't go slamming the stock on the ground. But it works for me for everyday use.

Any feedback? Hope this will be useful for some folks.

I made some spares if anybody wants one. Not free, but inexpensive. PM me.

He is afraid to let you hold the gun. But its OK because he still has possession. He cannot give you possession of the gun with the stock unpinned. Unfortunatley the government has these guys so scared that they dont care about the law anymore, just what can "potentially cause a problem for them". That is understandable when you read a report of the BATF siezing 30 Air Soft guns and claiming they did a "study" and found that they could be converted to machine guns. They are comletley out of control, and can shut one of these guys down at thier whim.

Isn't there a difference between collapsible and adjustable?

Isn't that the focus of this law? That the stock not collapse into the weapon or fold so that the OAL does not violate the 26"? It's like a reverse loophole. The spirit of the law is one thing and it gets mangled until the original purpose is lost to bureaucrats that have administrative rule over the population.

I know this has been discussed and sure as shit I don't want to be the poster boy/test case for these ridiculous laws. But this one in particular steams my beans.

Wtf could being able to adjust the length of pull so that you are comfortable with a jacket or a t-shirt have to do with public safety? I disagree but understand how some pantywaist can shit themselves if a rifle was able to made portable enough fit under a coat or something. But adjustability? Really? Has there ever been case law showing this adjustability to have been prosecuted?

It's like when you couldn't have margarine in Vt unless it was colored pink.

I'm nuts, end of rant.

Isn't that the focus of this law? That the stock not collapse into the weapon or fold so that the OAL does not violate the 26"? It's like a reverse loophole. The spirit of the law is one thing and it gets mangled until the original purpose is lost to bureaucrats that have administrative rule over the population.

I know this has been discussed and sure as shit I don't want to be the poster boy/test case for these ridiculous laws. But this one in particular steams my beans.

Wtf could being able to adjust the length of pull so that you are comfortable with a jacket or a t-shirt have to do with public safety? I disagree but understand how some pantywaist can shit themselves if a rifle was able to made portable enough fit under a coat or something. But adjustability? Really? Has there ever been case law showing this adjustability to have been prosecuted?

I'm nuts, end of rant.

I'm with you on this one.

These popular stocks do not "collapse" or "telescope" into what is essentially a pistol, they merely adjust over a limited range of motion.

Anywhere in this range, they are legal.

What difference does it make if they are an overall legal length?

Why they get lumped together with these is unbelievable.

M1C-152w__large.jpg

Ok folks. Who can help me shorten mine? Darn thing is out there lol... MP15 Sport.

The stock you have is a fake collapsable M4 stock. It's not what you think it is...

The assembly uses a rifle length receiver extention instead of a carbine length extension.

If you manage to unpin the stock, you will find that the rifle length RE will stick out the back of the stock body if you try to make the overall length shorter.

You will have to replace the receiver extension, and the stock body, and pin the stock in your desired position.

When I updated my Colts to the Colt/Rogers stock, I had to do this. I bought mil spec RE kits from BCM for the upgrade.

I used a method similar to the (fantastic!!) pictorial posted above to 'fix' my stock in place.

The upgrade is simple to do, and will only take a few minutes to do.

Should you have any specific question, I'm happy to help you.

Good luck.

Jeff

I recently tried to pin one of my stocks using the method I posted above and it was really easy.

Ok folks.  Who can help me shorten mine?  Darn thing is out there lol...  MP15 Sport.

Get a new buffer tube and stock, or use the OEM stock. If you're near me I can give you a hand if you need help.

On my M&P15 Sport, I see it pinned (picture attached).  If I decide to do the Magpul MOE Fixed Carbine Stock (Mil-Spec) model, I'll have to completely take out my original stock and buy a new carbine buffer tube right?  That would be the easiest way if I can't unpin my original setup right?  Please advise.  Thanks.

post-6353-0-80465400-1370481445_thumb.jpg

You may be able to unpin your stock but to shorten the overall length you will have to replace the reciever extention. You will also have to replace the stock body itself, as the latch is also fake... It does not have the plunger assembly.

Wow.

Show me why we have to pin adjustable stocks.

Weld or otherwise render inoperable collapsing or folding stocks ( UZI or SCAR) I understand. Yes UZI is bad,I get it.

The rest are figments of the imagination and a case study in why we're fu*ked. We make up shit to abide by.

We are the very definition of dysfunctional. We can't even read law.

You may be able to unpin your stock but to shorten the overall length you will have to replace the reciever extention. You will also have to replace the stock body itself, as the latch is also fake... It does not have the plunger assembly.

Ok got it.  I want this stock and how its mounted.  

post-6353-0-10618400-1370482349_thumb.jpg

Not too familiar with Magpul stocks but that appears to be the Magpul fixed MOE stock. It may come with all the bits you need.

Very true.  I'll call them tomorrow to confirm.  Thanks

To use the Magpul FCS on your rifle your going to need to buy a carbine RE and possibly a carbine buffer and spring (I dont know if yours already has one or not).  I think AIM sold a kit with everything for around $40 (RE, buffer, & spring).  If you dont need the buffer & spring a carbine RE should only cost you about $20.

I recently tried to pin one of my stocks using the method I posted above and it was really easy.

Get a new buffer tube and stock, or use the OEM stock. If you're near me I can give you a hand if you need help.

You are a bit too far north but thank you for the offer.

To use the Magpul FCS on your rifle your going to need to buy a carbine RE and possibly a carbine buffer and spring (I dont know if yours already has one or not).  I think AIM sold a kit with everything for around $40 (RE, buffer, & spring).  If you dont need the buffer & spring a carbine RE should only cost you about $20.

I guess to only find out is to take this bad boy apart.  Thanks for the info.

Sorry but just wanted to make sure.  RE aka Receiver Extension is the same as Buffer Tube right?

I'm nuts, end of rant.

the intention of the law it to ban telescoping stocks.. it has nothing to do with how far is can adjust or anything like that...

the reason for the intention of the law is to ban entire classes of firearms (since many "military" rifles have these style stocks)..

its that simple.. the law accomplishes exactly what it is intended to do.. 

while I am not a lawyer I do not believe the intention of the law is to impact a stock with an adjustable cheek rest.. or adjustable butt plate.... the reason I believe this is because the stock itself is fixed.. while the cheek rest and butt plate are attached to the stock.. they are adjusting independently of the stock.. 

I used a Magpul PRS stock while in NJ and had no concerns with getting in trouble over it.. 

but with that said I would not use a regular AR stock that can collapse in the traditional way that an AR stock is adjustable..