Barms

Why no 1 point slings on shotguns?

Most AR slings are 1 point. But shotties are 2 point. Why is that?

My guess is round capacity. Guys want the shells in the 2 point sling because you can change mags in an AR.

If that's not the reason then why don't more guys use a 1 point on the shotgun?

I think the 1 point is so much more "tactical" on the AR..(quick grab, instant aim etc...). But yet all "tactical" shotgun pics are two point slings.....

Please educate me for my home defense SHTF scenario....

My guess is round capacity. Guys want the shells in the 2 point sling because you can change mags in an AR.

I think the 1 point is so much more "tactical" on the AR..(quick grab, instant aim etc...). But yet all "tactical" shotgun pics are two point slings.....

I don't know that your initial statement is true. I now run both my ars with 2 point slings and find a dedicated 1 point clumsy and hard to control when not in immediate use.

With that said there are plenty of adapters for single point slings for 870's and mossy 500's etc

I never used a one point sling on anything. The problem is, if you need to secure your long gun because you need both hands, a 2 point sling does so much more efficiently.

Trust me it's not as great as you think. I had set up both my ARs (My 5.56 Bushmaster 14.5/ and a 15-22) with single point slings and used Magpul MS/2s for them. The 15-22 is fine because I have mine pinned fully closed, its a small straight-CQB style rifle. And the Bushmaster 556 was also designed as a CQB carbine. No big deal but they aren't set up for long term carrying or humping, more for like standing a little guard duty or room clearing / CQB where you might let go just once in a while and let it dangle.

When I got my 870 Tactical I installed each and every piece of Magpul available including the rear receiver sling mount and front sling mount tower.... when you combine the rear point with the single point sling (MS2) its like using an AR15 carbine w/ single point sling but not as nice, the heavy long shotgun wants to helmet tap you all day long .... Fun for a little bit or again, if you were on guard duty w/ weapon in hand most of time but its not like an AR carbine comfortable, actually helmet tapper city.

3 point slings sure useless.

1 point slings are OK to transition shoulders, but suck at everything else that a sling is supposed to be good at.

Quick adjust 2 point slings do it all (including switching shoulders) and do it well.

What about a 1 point sling makes you think it is more "tactical" than a 2 point sling?

What "tactical" experiences are you basing your assessment on?

The only firearms I have a single point sling on are my AR pistols.

Provides just the right tension to push against while simultaneously pulling (with my non-trigger hand either on the pistol grip (like a Weaver) or wrapped around the magazine.)

Two-point slings (installed with a proper half turn in them) make for a great hasty sling which helps greatly putting shots on target.

3 point slings sure useless.

1 point slings are OK to transition shoulders, but suck at everything else that a sling is supposed to be good at.

Quick adjust 2 point slings do it all (including switching shoulders) and do it well.

What about a 1 point sling makes you think it is more "tactical" than a 2 point sling?

What "tactical" experiences are you basing your assessment on?

Ummm. My "tactical" assessment on one point slings is based on 350 swat team and ATF officers yesterday all using one point slings in their rifles.

Hence my orig post that one point slings were tactical for rifles I wondered why not for shotguns.

All the answers above were great. I just wanted to answer your inquiry

single point slings are pretty terrible IMO.. especially in a LEO role... when I dump a carbine on a 2 point sling to transition to a sidearm or to do something with my hands.. the gun tends to ride close to my chest rig..... it also keeps the gun high on my chest in case I need it again... further more security if I am running.... when I do the same with a single point sling.. the gun is literally all over the place.. further a 2 point sling provides better support for shooting... the only single point I use is on my 7.5 in AR.. that gun is so small that when I dump it it still stays put OK.. and the gun is pretty short to try to find room for a second sling point.. so single point it is (for now)

I seriously have no idea why you would ever want a single point sling.. they really are junk..

I have a one point on my HD shotgun strictly because it's more comfortable for me. If I was taking my shotgun on a ruck march I'd prefer a two point but I'm not. If I need to drop my shotgun for any reason, I like the fact that I can drop it straight down and it is still easily accessible to me if I need to transition back.

I really like the Magpul MS3 sling on my AR, it can function as a two point or a single.

2 pt is not?

I actually find 2 pt to stay more in place than single point.. ?

2 point stays a little tighter to the body in my experience, some people may prefer that but I find when it's tighter to my body the gun seems to snag on my clothing etc. And because of that I can't transition as quickly. I find it easier to keep the shotgun a bit lower and just pull it up as to avoid snagging. When I say transition I'm talking from shotgun to holstered pistol, I don't want to have my primary gun to tight to my chest, if my shotgun fails I want to be able to get it out of my way but still keep it within arms reach

That's just my opinion and what is most comfortable for me, you have to do what is comfortable for you.

All great info guys. I'm loving all the scenarios you are coming up with. I have to ask this dumb question now. Obviously the one point hangs vertical muzzle down flat against your chest.

Now, when I think two point sling for rifle or shotgun I think of the resting position being slung over the shoulder across your back

Can someone give me a visual how the two point hangs on you when you quickly transition from shotgun to pistol or from shotgun to an evasive maneuver. Do you fling to back or keep in front ?

I appreciate all the feedback

Some day I will take an urban shotgun course

All great info guys. I'm loving all the scenarios you are coming up with. I have to ask this dumb question now. Obviously the one point hangs vertical muzzle down flat against your chest.

Now, when I think two point sling for rifle or shotgun I think of the resting position being slung over the shoulder across your back

Can someone give me a visual how the two point hangs on you when you quickly transition from shotgun to pistol or from shotgun to an evasive maneuver. Do you fling to back or keep in front ?

I appreciate all the feedback

Some day I will take an urban shotgun course

flat and tight to your body.. also keeps the muzzle from banging into your knee caps when you move fast...

I would not recommend THIS sling as I know nothing about it.. but just the first image I found.. you can see how the sling keeps the weapon secure and tight to the body..

Sidewinder_II_Tactical_sling_AR15_two_point_across_chest-600x490.jpg

Okay, we can put this thread to bed now.. i INCORRECTLY ASSUMED that each time i saw a photo of a rifle slung tight across the chest aiming down that that was a one point sling.. upon closer review it could be two point. I'm just a newb who thought two point was slung over the back all the time.

Case closed.. thanks to all for the invaluable insight.

I read through most replies and yet did not notice the problem of knocking your f*ucking junk with the business end of your rifle/shotfun. It is a pretty big downside.

agreed

if you hold a gun on a single point sling.. and just stand there.. no problems.. if you are running.. shooting.. moving.. I am not sure how a single point would even work.. as you put it.. the gun violently jumps all over the place..

I have to say after trying a single point then switching to a vtac 2pt, I'm really drinking the coolaid. Ive found almost no disadvantages to the 2 pt if set up correctly.

ill take it a step further... when setup right a 2pt is superior in every way IMO...

you get more stability using the sling to aid in shots.... you get more stability up against your chest when running... 

the only single point I run is on my AR pistol... but that is just because I have not picked up a front sling mount yet...

eta: with the exception of transitioning to weak side.. single point would be faster.. but you give up a lot for that.. IMO

The only advantage to single-points is that it is easier to transition from Strong hand to Weak hand   2-Pointers are more secure and MUCH more comfortable in movement IMO

Modern quick adjust 2 point slings (BFG:VCAS and VTAC) even make switching shoulders just as fast as a single point sling with the right setup and technique.

Modern quick adjust 2 point slings (BFG:VCAS and VTAC) even make switching shoulders just as fast as a single point sling with the right setup and technique.

Can you elaborate? I had a little trouble with this the last class I was in (first with a vtac 2pt) I have since switched the qd socket to the strong side of the stock and keep the rifle a little more loose than I would normally like. It did seem to work even in an emergency situation where I didn't unhook my weak hand.

Much easier to demonstrate than explain but I will try.

Set the rear sling point on the strong side as close to the receiver as possible.

Set the front sling point on the support side as close to the receiver as possible.

You need to set the overall length of the sling just right to what you wear when shooting.

-This will depend on armor/chest rig/weather appropriate clothes/body type. The adjuster should be easy to reach throughout the entire length of adjustment and the long gun should be snug to your chest when cinched down all the way (I also like to roll the long gun 180 degrees to the strong side so the sling traps the gun against my chest a little better).

When switching shoulders:

First, take your support hand open/loosen the sling dropping while your elbow through the sling so your arm is free and the sling is just around your neck.

Place your support hand back on the long gun with a magwell grip on an AR or the receiver at the loading gate on a shotgun.

Then take your strong hand and move it to where you normally place your support hand.

Once your support hand has control of the weapon up front, bring your support hand to the master firing grip while switching shoulders.

With a little practice this can be done in one fairly fluid and effecient motion.

If you are having a hard time visualizing it grab a copy of Kyle Lamb's "Green Eyes and Black Rifles". I think there is a whole chapter with photos devoted to support side shooting an AR (applies to shotguns too). Even better, get to one of his courses. That's where I learned.

Side note: If you own an AR and plan on doing anything more than target shooting you should get Kyle's book anyway. Excellent supplement - not a substitute - for training).

Much easier to demonstrate than explain but I will try.

Set the rear sling point on the strong side as close to the receiver as possible.

Set the front sling point on the support side as close to the receiver as possible.

You need to set the overall length of the sling just right to what you wear when shooting.

-This will depend on armor/chest rig/weather appropriate clothes/body type. The adjuster should be easy to reach throughout the entire length of adjustment and the long gun should be snug to your chest when cinched down all the way (I also like to roll the long gun 180 degrees to the strong side so the sling traps the gun against my chest a little better).

When switching shoulders:

First, take your support hand open/loosen the sling dropping while your elbow through the sling so your arm is free and the sling is just around your neck.

Place your support hand back on the long gun with a magwell grip on an AR or the receiver at the loading gate on a shotgun.

Then take your strong hand and move it to where you normally place your support hand.

Once your support hand has control of the weapon up front, bring your support hand to the master firing grip while switching shoulders.

With a little practice this can be done in one fairly fluid and effecient motion.

If you are having a hard time visualizing it grab a copy of Kyle Lamb's "Green Eyes and Black Rifles". I think there is a whole chapter with photos devoted to support side shooting an AR (applies to shotguns too). Even better, get to one of his courses. That's where I learned.

Side note: If you own an AR and plan on doing anything more than target shooting you should get Kyle's book anyway. Excellent supplement - not a substitute - for training).

Yeah that's essentially what I learned. I was just trying to see if there was a way to cut out having to drop weak hand through the sling. I can do it if the sling is loose enough but its not comfortable to carry. I'll check that out.