Sign in to follow this  
Agent_Smith

Cost to reload 5.56

You need powder, primer, and bullet to reload. Cost is determined by quantity and type of componets purchased. Powder is sold in 1, 4, or 8 pound lots. Primers in 1,000 or 5,000 lots. and bullets from 100 count to 6000 count lots. While bulk usually relates to cheaper prices per unit, powder type and bullet size and type are important factors here also. Average reload price today for 55FMJ 223 is around $5-6 per box of 20, if you can find the components.

Dude seriously. You can do basic math. Go look at some of the powder companies' load data, then go look at the websites.

7000 grains = 1lb.

Prices weren't constant before, and they are all sorts of out of whack now. I child tell you that I'm reloading my plunking ammo at $0.18 a round but it doesn't mean jack if I got my supplies 4 years ago and prices are never going back there. There are no guarantees it will cost less than what it does now.

Powder is $.05

Primer is .03

Cheapest 44 grain bullet .16

cost $.24

Federal ammo at Walmart in New Hampshire is 34.7 per round, or 10.7 net cost for the brass.

I actually plink with the Walmart ammo and reload it with better quality 69 grain bullets at a higher cost, I do not see the profit in reloading cheap bullets. Net net if you can get cheap plinking ammo use it if it is unavailable make your own.

I am at about .20 per round.. reusing brass and component cost purchased last year..

start cost is significant though..

but my .20 cent round is comparable to .80 cent round and i use hornady bullets.

Let see, stuff I can get right now.

brass... $90 per 500.

bullets 64gr bonded, limited to 500. and $200 at that.

What I can maybe get.. primers at about $60 per 1k.

What I can't get.. powder. I'd need 2lbs to load all 500 of those. Call it $40 maybe.

You are at $330 to load that 500 rounds. $720 to load 1k if you could get stuff. Not really cheap, but WAY nicer bullets than those in ammo selling in that price range.

Now is a rough time to get into reloading, it isn't some safe haven at the moment unless you planned ahead.