Maksim

Anyone fly out of Trenton/Frontier Airlines with guns yet?

Will be flying down to Florida for a weekend and was going to bring a gun. Frontier now flies out of Trenton, so wondering if anyone had experience there yet.

I have had no issues going out from ACY and PHL, but Trenton being as small as it is.... who knows.

The free parking and airport being 20 mins away is a real draw.... granted their frequent flyer program is crap.

The last post here was over a year ago so I'm hoping someone has had some experience with it since then. 

My wife and I have to fly out of Trenton to Ohio at some point and both of us have FID cards in NJ, legally purchased handguns (with PPPs), and Virginia CCW permits (reciprocal with Ohio).  Will we have any problems checking them at the airport (and waiting in line for check-in with them in our luggage)?  Do we need to have the name/address of a specific shooting range in OH to say that we're heading directly there?

I've flown to Orlando from Newark recently, it was simple. Followed all the TSA/airline guidelines. It was a breeze. TSA Approved lock box cable locked to the inside frame work of my bag, gun unloaded ammo less than 11lbs in the original box. Simply quietly declared it at the luggage check as soon as I got there. Filled out the orange card, they then walked me to the TSA room and xrayed the bag. They put it on the plane from there and told me to have a safe flight. I was all nervous for nothing..

I've flown to Orlando from Newark recently, it was simple. Followed all the TSA/airline guidelines. It was a breeze. TSA Approved lock box cable locked to the inside frame work of my bag, gun unloaded ammo less than 11lbs in the original box. Simply quietly declared it at the luggage check as soon as I got there. Filled out the orange card, they then walked me to the TSA room and xrayed the bag. They put it on the plane from there and told me to have a safe flight. I was all nervous for nothing..

Not sure what "TSA Approved lock box" means but the lock on the firearm case must NOT be TSA approved according to TSA. It must be a non-TSA lock. If the gun case is inside your regular luggage it is still OK to put the TSA lock on the regular luggage.

Illegal unless going directly to a range, FOPA does not cover a handgun while walking into an airport in the 3rd Circuit, only in a vehicle. 5 to 10 years in jail.

I doubt they will jack you up, but have that reservation for the range at your destination.

Look around at the landscape.

Bloomberg. Etc.

Soon he will be paying people at the airport to narc you out.

If he cops there aren't already getting orders handed down.

We flew to St. Augustine out of Trenton last month. Had my firearm with me. Easy peasy. Just walk up to the counter to give them your checked bag and tell them you have a firearm to declare.

How nice is it flying into St. AUGUSTINE INSTEAD OF orlando ot Jacksonville. We did it last month too.

Not sure what "TSA Approved lock box" means but the lock on the firearm case must NOT be TSA approved according to TSA. It must be a non-TSA lock. If the gun case is inside your regular luggage it is still OK to put the TSA lock on the regular luggage.

TSA approved pistol case with key lock and cable. If you use a regular gun case like the one your firearm came with, and any corner of the case can be pried open its not compliant with TSA regulations. A baggage handler could get your gun out and steal it. I'm not talking about putting a TSA approved baggage zipper lock on your gun case. I do however also lock my bag zipper with a TSA baggage lock as well. That is allowed. The locks I have on my zippers have an indicator that turns red if someone opens it with a key. My bag was opened at Newark by TSA. But not opened when I left Orlando to come home.

TSA approved pistol case with key lock and cable. If you use a regular gun case like the one your firearm came with, and any corner of the case can be pried open its not compliant with TSA regulations. A baggage handler could get your gun out and steal it. I'm not talking about putting a TSA approved baggage zipper lock on your gun case. I do however also lock my bag zipper with a TSA baggage lock as well. That is allowed. The locks I have on my zippers have an indicator that turns red if someone opens it with a key. My bag was opened at Newark by TSA. But not opened when I left Orlando to come home.

I use my Glock factory case, I've traveled about 50 times in the past 6 years. I put a padlock on it.

You elaborated quite a bit on the TSA guidance for a case.

TSA: "The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft."

I also don't have any sort of cable.

Feel free to be paranoid but I don't have to obey your personal dictates to fly on a plane, nor does anyone else. They are yours alone.

I never said you have to use that. Just what i use. As long as you cant pry open the case you use its good to go. I know I can open a hard plastic glock, Sig, walther, or S&W case and get the gun out with my bare hands even if theres a pad lock on it. So I spent $19 and don't worry. The cable is an additional bonus if someone opens the bag during handling they have to take the entire bag to get the gun. Guns get stolen by baggage handlers at airports, especially Orlando. If someone really wants it I know a cable and a little metal box aren't stopping them. Just makes it a little more difficult. I travel with a G27 usually, my heart wouldn't be broken if it were stolen. $500 buys a new one any day, wouldn't be the end of the world. You use whatever your comfortable with when you travel, this is just how I roll, or better choice of words how i fly.

I never said you have to use that. Just what i use. As long as you cant pry open the case you use its good to go. I know I can open a hard plastic glock, Sig, walther, or S&W case and get the gun out with my bare hands even if theres a pad lock on it. So I spent $19 and don't worry. The cable is an additional bonus if someone opens the bag during handling they have to take the entire bag to get the gun. Guns get stolen by baggage handlers at airports, especially Orlando. If someone really wants it I know a cable and a little metal box aren't stopping them. Just makes it a little more difficult. I travel with a G27 usually, my heart wouldn't be broken if it were stolen. $500 buys a new one any day, wouldn't be the end of the world. You use whatever your comfortable with when you travel, this is just how I roll, or better choice of words how i fly.

I understand, of course. Nothing unreasonable about that. There was a little back and forth there and I didn't want anybody to think you were describing something TSA proscriptive.

Its all good. I'm not easily offended lol. I understood your position fully. And your absolutely correct, any hard box you cant open is TSA approved. The one I purchased is just advertised as approved for airline travel.

How nice is it flying into St. AUGUSTINE INSTEAD OF orlando ot Jacksonville. We did it last month too.

Hey Rick, yep, it was great.

We usually fly United, Newark to Jacksonville, but it was a lot cheaper to fly Frontier this time and it was really nice. The Airbus was so much nicer than that shitty little Embraer United uses on that route.

Ok, cool.  Thanks guys for all of the info.  I haven't had any problems flying out of Philly with a firearm, but this will be my first time flying out of NJ.  Another question - my wife and I will only be checking one bag for both of us.  Can we legally stow her gun AND my gun in the same bag?  Or is the luggage "registered" to one person, only?  I know this isn't official legal advice, but I'm just looking to see if any of you have any specific insight on this.  Thanks!

Illegal unless going directly to a range, FOPA does not cover a handgun while walking into an airport in the 3rd Circuit, only in a vehicle. 5 to 10 years in jail.

I doubt they will jack you up, but have that reservation for the range at your destination.

Look around at the landscape.

Bloomberg. Etc.

Soon he will be paying people at the airport to narc you out.

If he cops there aren't already getting orders handed down.

Interesting. So how exactly have residents been flying out of NJ airports with guns all along? Sheer grace of God? 

Admittedly I have never flown out of a NJ airport with a handgun. Only PA, CT, TX, GA and FL. ABE is about the same distance as EWR for me anyway and I hate the long TSA line, parking and having to use the god awful shuttle bus. So ABE it is. 

Ok, cool.  Thanks guys for all of the info.  I haven't had any problems flying out of Philly with a firearm, but this will be my first time flying out of NJ.  Another question - my wife and I will only be checking one bag for both of us.  Can we legally stow her gun AND my gun in the same bag?  Or is the luggage "registered" to one person, only?  I know this isn't official legal advice, but I'm just looking to see if any of you have any specific insight on this.  Thanks!

It doesn't matter. Both your guns can be in the same bag. Check airline policy, some limit the number of firearms you can fly with.  But no, airlines don't check who owns the gun nor who it's registered to. 

The TSA rules are real simple - declared to the airline (with declaration tag in your bag), gun(s) in locked case(s) and unloaded. It's airline policy that can be difficult to navigate, but not really. Most are concerned with TSA policy and the amount of ammo you can travel with, usually 11lbs. 

The only places people get jacked up and scrutinized are places like NYC, Boston, Chicago and sometimes Newark. In NYC they automatically call the PAPD every time someone checks a gun. 

TSA had no issues with my guns, but I got a puzzled look at my gun stickers on my laptop. 

I primarily fly out of PHL with guns as well, it is America.  However I have flown from ACY and TTN without issues.

Personally, while TTN may be more convenient, PHL is far better in most cases, more flight selections, TSA who is around guns more frequently, and most of all, no issues parking.

Personally, while TTN may be more convenient, PHL is far better in most cases, more flight selections, TSA who is around guns more frequently, and most of all, no issues parking.

Is parking difficult at TTN?  This will be my first time flying from there, but it was $72 round trip per person vs. $250 at PHL (x2 since it's both my wife and me), so it's worth saving $300+ (even after the bag fees) to deal with a little confusion if that's what happens...as long as we don't get arrested. 

After researching Ohio's laws a bit more, it doesn't make sense for both my wife and me to bring our guns.  I'll probably just bring mine since she still hasn't found a holster she likes (she's a 5'2", 105lb lefty so it's difficult to conceal anything and/or find a lefty holster) and pretty much every place we go in OH is posted no guns.  OH's law backs the no gun postings, so it's not just a suggestion.  The RNR HoF, Cleveland Zoo, Cleveland Clinic, Great Lakes Brewing Company, West Side Market...they all ban guns.  So it's pretty much going to just stay in the car when we go anywhere and I'll at least be able to holster it walking to and from the hotel...assuming the hotel isn't also posted. 

I'm now starting to see what businesses in NJ would do if we even got shall-issue.  They'd effectively ban it inside buildings on a store-to-store basis. 

Thanks to all of you guys for all of the information so far!

Parking isn't bad, $8 a day. Bring your ticket with you so you can pay in the terminal when you return.

There is a lot right in front of the terminal. If it is full, there is another lot to the west of the terminal, within walking distance.

I dropped the girlfriend and 2 big bags at the terminal, then went around again to park in the 2nd lot as the first lot was full.

If both lots are full, there is a 3rd lot that a shuttle bus will pick you up from.

Parking isn't bad, $8 a day. Bring your ticket with you so you can pay in the terminal when you return.

There is a lot right in front of the terminal. If it is full, there is another lot to the west of the terminal, within walking distance.

I dropped the girlfriend and 2 big bags at the terminal, then went around again to park in the 2nd lot as the first lot was full.

If both lots are full, there is a 3rd lot that a shuttle bus will pick you up from.

That doesn't sound too bad.  Is it a shady part of Trenton - basically, will my car be safe?  Or is it outside of the city?  I don't know much about Trenton's neighborhoods, so a Google map search doesn't really tell me much.