Tallday

What makes an US M1 Carbine no go for nj?

Dude, believe me I don't understand it either.... I had 2 chances of owning a super mint m1 carbine about a month ago, I just don't understand. At least one would have came home with me if it was legal.

We can have an mini 14 or a mini 30 WHICH are almost fookin identical to the m1 carbine. Figure that one out and then call me.

I still wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats dreaming about holding that m1 carbine..... Good dreamssssss

I'm guessing detachable magazine is what makes it illegal while M1 Garand is OK.

Just one evil feature so completely inconsistent with assault weapon definition.

Nahhhh.... I don't think so, because of the mini 14 or 30, detachable magazines as well.

I was talking to a guy at Sarco who owns quite a few of these. He told me that the M1 Carbine is banned as it is relatively EASY to convert to full auto. There's a video on youtube to do it in a few minutes with a few parts.

I doubt NJ would allow us to have that kind of fun.

I had a newer one. They are real fun to shoot. I wanted to have one because my Grandfather jumped into Normandy the night before D-Day with one and he said they did well on Germans at close range. After 2 days of holding their position, some arty took out their position and he woke up in a POW hospital.

Depending on how badly you want one, you can always relocate to a free state.

My brother in law wants to get one. He's located in PA so hopefully he'll get one and will let me use it.

Depending on how badly you want one, you can always relocate to a free state.

My brother in law wants to get one. He's located in PA so hopefully he'll get one and will let me use it.

Can I come over any play!!! LOL JERSEY SUCKS

can we start a movement to bring back the M1? sort of half kidding...

I've been tossing this idea around for years because, like others, I have been completely in love with this carbine since I was little.

Unfortunately, the M1 Carbine is a lower priority than FID renewals, seizures, online ammo purchase bans, etc. After all this baloney is over (no matter which way it goes), look me up. At that time, I'll be ready to broach the idea to NJ2AS and see if they can help with it.

I bought one in 89 from Lanco in Phillipsburg for $150. A couple of years later during the Jim Florio gun ban, they were concidered concealable, had detatchable magazines, available magazines larger than 15 rds, had a bayonette lug & were concidered easly converted to fully auto (even though it was difficult to find the parts). It now lives out of state with relatives, and whenever I move out of this state I will introduce it to new friends!

I bought one in 89 from Lanco in Phillipsburg for $150. A couple of years later during the Jim Florio gun ban, they were concidered concealable, had detatchable magazines, available magazines larger than 15 rds, had a bayonette lug & were concidered easly converted to fully auto (even though it was difficult to find the parts). It now lives out of state with relatives, and whenever I move out of this state I will introduce it to new friends!

I remember those from Laneco, they were the Blue Sky imports and were pretty rough.

I want one soooooo bad but WTF NJ why? what features make it illegal? or is it just by name?

There are knowledgable people on this forum that will disagree with this but it is not only by name but "M1 carbine type". The law goes on to ban the Plainfield Machine and Universal M1 Carbines.

I believe they were banned after the riots in the 70's in plainfield and the manufactures wharhouses were looted

The riots were in the 1960s and the riots in Plainfield broke out a couple of days after the Newark riots started. Plainfield machine who made the carbine was actually located in Middlesex. The carbines were stolen the first day of the riots in Plainfield. None of these were recovered AFAIK. While they had the carbines they didn"t have a supply of ammo AFAIK.

M1 Carbines were not banned in NJ until the Florio ban. I have personal knowledge they were being sold by dealers in NJ weeks before the ban went into effect.

I'm guessing detachable magazine is what makes it illegal while M1 Garand is OK.

Just one evil feature so completely inconsistent with assault weapon definition.

Keep in mind the term "assault weapon (or rifle or pistol or shotgun) was not invented by Clinton, Pelosi, or Obama. While it had been in use by some it was popularized by the gun industry, with a lot of help from the gun press in the early 1980s.

http://upload.wikime...1carbine3gr.gif

The armory looting during the riots was only half the reason.

The linked pic was the other from what I remember from 20+ years ago.

It wasn't an armory but Plainfield Machine which manufactured new carbines with the parts same as the GI.

The Universal, while similar in appearance, was a much different and cheaper design.

The linked photo you posted is Malcolm X. He died in 1965. He had nothing to do with the 1967 riots.

There was a much publicized photo by Life magazine from the riots. It was a black guy (you couldn't see his face) with a M1 carbine that the photorapher was a sniper. Some have said this was staged.

Back in 1993 , they were used in a Bank robbery in Newark right before the senate committee meetings. At the last minute it was added to the ban list.

You would think , they would be the perfect gun for NJ

M1 carbines were popular for holdups way before 1993. They were easier to acquire as they were a long gun and could be concealed under a raincoat (moreso one with a folding stock).

Iggy is right

I'm not saying Iggy is wrong about M1 carbines being used in a holdup shortly before they wrote the law as the reason they were added to the list. It wasn't in 1993 though. The NJ AWB was signed by Florio in January or February 1990 and went into effect May 1, 1990.

I remember those from Laneco, they were the Blue Sky imports and were pretty rough.

Most of those were pretty rough. I had them bring them out of the back and looked at everyone they had in stock before I bought mine. If nothing more, it was the best of the bunch. Mine was built by Quality Hardware Manufacturing. They were arsenal refurbished and parkerized. I purchased a few rifles from Lenco in the day, including a couple of Mausers and an Enfield. Nice post war pieces!