Sign in to follow this  
Newtonian

Skylands Sports

Visited Skylands, a new gun shop on Rte 206 in Augusta today. Nice sign outside regarding the defeat of gun control legislation in the US Senate.

Walked in and asked for .22s. Guy behind the counter just said "no". No hello, no smile. I asked about various calibers. They had 9mm for about $22/box but I don't have a gun that shoots that caliber.

Then he walked away, didn't even ask if I was interested in looking at anything.

They will not be in business for long.

Contrast to Dunkelberger's, where a sales guy named Rich showed me about a dozen rifles, sold me 2 bricks of .22lr, showed me other ammo, and chatted about all things gun- and legal-related. Spent at least 20 minutes with me, even though the place was full of customers. The other shop had nobody in the store.

PS I do not look like a "typical" gun guy. My shirts have buttons. No goatee. Head is not shaved. No camo. To me, the plural of "brick" is "bricks," not "brick."

:)

Maybe they thought I was the fuzz.

The owner and his business associate have proven time and again that they are not the most friendly types at the gun store. I'm sure it hurts the bottom line. However, his wife is very and helpful, though. Prices are a little on the high side for transfers, guns, etc. and a premium "hidden" shipping fee is added to all new firearms.

I will say that the owner is a patriot, though.

I read this thread and went there last evening. My experience was not at all unpleasant. Both owners were helpful and responsive to my questions. I would definitely look tyre again. Not sure if their prices are reasonable or not, but they had a selection of rifles and shotguns as well as some pistols and seemed very knowledgeable.

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have made several pit stops in there and at the previous location closer to the square. agreed the owner has a crappy disposition. looks at me sideways like i'm a ciminal or something. and has never had anything I wanted in stock nor has he been able to order anything. so about all I have bought from him is targets. its a shame since he has a primo spot right next to the SP barracks. that would have been my first pit stop after getting my FID card if it was there then.

Ten-month update.

Was renting a car today at the Enterprise right next door to Skylands. Thought I'd give them another shot.

Walked in with a cheery disposition and greeted them. "Hi how you doing? Never been in your shop before." (a lie)

The guy with the pony tail and the perpetual scowl did not look up but did respond, "Good. Help yourself."

Looked over their handguns then hovered for about 90 seconds looking at the long guns. Can't see much from 10 feet away. Nobody asked me if I wanted to see something. Ambled over about 20 feet and picked up a few targets, then over to the fishing stuff pretending I knew what I was looking at. After a total of about 8 minutes in the shop I turned and said, "Thanks, see you soon."

No-one looked up. Dead silence. 

Again, I don't look like the typical Sussex County sportsman. But that's never stopped other 5-6 NJ shops I've visited from being friendly. 

LOL.... Guess the Silver Bullet in Rockaway now has a satellite location :laugh:

My mom always told me if you have nothing nice to say about Frank at Silver Bullet say nothing at all. I will just say that he is definitely a unique individual without a doubt lol.

Humm recently had the exact opposite encounter at that with the same guy. I was in the area and decided just to stop in and window shop. I walked in and the guy with the ponytail and a blond lady both asked me and my wife if we needed help. I declined and told them that I was just window shopping and killing some time. the guy with the ponytail saw mw looking at an AR10 he had their and just handed it to me joking that hands on it way better than just looking. I fondled it for a few mins and handed it back to him. he then jokingly told my wife that now she knows what I want for Christmas. we all laughed and I checked out the rest of the shop and as we were leaving he said "see ya around Christmas as we walked out the door. I pass by the shop a few times a year and will definitely stop in again.

Humm recently had the exact opposite encounter at that with the same guy. I was in the area and decided just to stop in and window shop. I walked in and the guy with the ponytail and a blond lady both asked me and my wife if we needed help. I declined and told them that I was just window shopping and killing some time. the guy with the ponytail saw mw looking at an AR10 he had their and just handed it to me joking that hands on it way better than just looking. I fondled it for a few mins and handed it back to him. he then jokingly told my wife that now she knows what I want for Christmas. we all laughed and I checked out the rest of the shop and as we were leaving he said "see ya around Christmas as we walked out the door. I pass by the shop a few times a year and will definitely stop in again.

This is good to hear. Maybe I caught him at the wrong time of month.

Although I probably will not visit again I wish him well.

Just gossiping here ya know?

Yeah I hear you. Best to post your honest experience because if a shop gets all bad reviews on here I for one won't waste my time with the shop. Seams to me like this shop is kinda hit or miss. Maybe it had something to do with me pulling into the shop with my jeep half covered in mud and it was probably obvious that my wife and are more of the outdoors type of people. Not that that mind set is correct as you can't judge a book by its cover but let's face it most people do to some degree

Not sure who the younger guy at the shop is but i've stopped twice in the past 2 weeks and he was nothing but helpful. Let me see some long guns and never asked to see my FID like some other shops around here. Had a great conversation about bolt actions and I pretty much hung around the shop for 10 minutes or so. I never saw the guy with the ponytail or his wife, but the younger guy was great. 

Hi all. I stopped in there a few weeks and was talking to the wife. She is an outstanding counter person. Sold me the ammo I was looking for. Because of that transaction I used them for a Gallery of guns pick up. This time I met with the owner (ponytail guy). He was a bit put offish at first. After talking about five minutes he turned out to be a real nice guy. Also there was a young guy working there. Super helpful and real nice. I recommend the place and will use them again. They are a bit far from me and I still will use them.

PLEASE don't ever compare Frank "Silver bullet" with anyone. Frank is in a class by himself.